Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

So I finished it.  Thought it was fun.  Guessed some of the twists, didn't guess others.  Will probably play again in awhile, but for now I'm trying to catch up with some other games that I've had on the backburner.

Ultimately I think the game if good but they really have a pacing problem with respect to the mission table. First - why can my commanders (who aren't going on missions themselves) only do one thing at a time?  Also using real time is fine and dandy in theory but I did a lot of dithering and a lot of the last mission table quests yI got are 5-6 hours to complete which at the end of the game is a bit silly (there's nothing left to do in the game but the end and we're still waiting for 6 hours to complete some side quest?) .  Given the plethora of Power Points available to me, I can't help but wonder if they should have implemented a system where you could expend power points to shorten the time to complete a side quest (this is the part where someone tells me that was actually the case and I just missed it).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Eh, I have to admit, I got annoyed with the war table and the timing thing. So I tended to alt-tab out, momentarily re-set my pc clock to the next day. Set it back to the correct time, then find all my war table missions had been dealt with.

The War Table is really not ideal for people who like to focus and binge-play, compared to those who might play an hour a day or such like.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The war table works best if you order your story missions and sidequests in well. And go back to the table now and then, for instance when your inventory gets full.

if you do all side-areas before story missions, you'll be out of operations soon before clearing all side areas, and swamped in them after the story missions.

Power points are awarded pretty liberally. If you do everything, you'll be left with hundreds of them in the end. If you start buying the contract-thingies, maybe over a thousand. EDIT: I'm not sure why they exist.

Edited by MrBrown

The "power" system could have been a good inclusion, if it weren't for the fact it was way too easy to earn points.  None of the missions took me much time to reach the requisite power for them, so all the dialogue of "we're just not strong enough to even talk to these guys yet!" thing rang a bit hollow since all it took was a couple of rifts being closed and returning a ring to a lonely wife.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well, I just killed my first dragon, and boy was it easy. ( Exalted plains) I don't know what I was doing wrong in my first few tries where I got killed so quickly, but this time I didn't even need a health potion. I'm playing a rogue, I was just dancing and evading around the dragon and he never hit me, my tanks worked as distraction while I was stabbing him in the butt with my two 330 DPS blades. Didn't take longer than maybe three minutes. She did spit a few electric balls at me but I simply dodged them. I think I could have solo'ed that one.

Hm.

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

The "power" system could have been a good inclusion, if it weren't for the fact it was way too easy to earn points.  None of the missions took me much time to reach the requisite power for them, so all the dialogue of "we're just not strong enough to even talk to these guys yet!" thing rang a bit hollow since all it took was a couple of rifts being closed and returning a ring to a lonely wife.

Well if they didn't give you enough you wouldn't have been able to complete the game, but considering that I ended with 100+ power I could have easily traded that for some influence or gold or some schematics. I could never get enough of those.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

So I'm about 80 hours in.  Morrigan just showed up. 

This game is bad, right? Seriously suffering from a disconnect between the long stretches of MMO gameplay interspersed with Bioware choice-and-no-consequence cutscenes.  And even the cutscene sections - the thing Bioware is supposed to be good at - are borderline incomprehensible, with characters coming and going and factions appearing and disappearing faster than even Dragon Age 2.

This is maybe the last time I get a Bioware game at launch.  I've said this before, but I think I've hit the fool-me-thrice, shame-on-me point.

• Like 3

Don't be hating because my mount is bigger than yours.

I decided to tinker around with horses and other things you can ride on, besides Iron Bull.

post-1458-0-89612900-1420528926_thumb.jpg

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Don't be hating because my mount is bigger than yours.

I decided to tinker around with horses and other things you can ride on, besides Iron Bull.

Now that's a great idea for a mod; an Iron Bull mount.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

The war table works best if you order your story missions and sidequests in well. And go back to the table now and then, for instance when your inventory gets full.

if you do all side-areas before story missions, you'll be out of operations soon before clearing all side areas, and swamped in them after the story missions.

Power points are awarded pretty liberally. If you do everything, you'll be left with hundreds of them in the end. If you start buying the contract-thingies, maybe over a thousand. EDIT: I'm not sure why they exist.

I paced it pretty well - I went back to the keep a lot.

The problem is, I tend to be a weekend player. Ie if I don't have anything to do I might rack up six hours on Saturday and 5 on Sunday. So any mission that takes over 5 hours won't complete until the next day. 4 of these means your commanders can't do anything until the next day.

So yeah, just by virtue of how I played there was no way I could finish the table missions without starting the game up, setting all the commanders to doing a 5-6 hour mission and then turning the game off until the next day; the story & sidequests were always going to outpace the table.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Nothing wrong with Iron Bull. He's the man you go to if you want to mess around with regardless of what sex you are.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Nothing wrong with Iron Bull. He's the man you got to if you want to mess around with regardless of what sex you are.

There is everything wrong with the romances as they are for the most part cringy. Also, BW shouldn't be involved in open world games and they shouldn't in fact let you choose your own team. Those are missed opportunities for some character development, so DA:I; jack of all trades master of none, recycled assets from Origin and as usual the best girl doesn't have romance scene. (It's Harding if you're wondering)

village_idiot.gif

Found myself somewhat surprised that the French language is a thing in the world of Thedas.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

After having digested my play throughs and put the game away for a bit to play something else, I'm coming to the realization that of the three Dragon Age games, this one is the one I have the least interest in playing through again.

IMO, it had the weakest main quest story (not that the other two were *great*, but this one seemed so underdeveloped) and I didn't care all that much for the bulk of my companions.  The only edge it has over the other two games is the "open world", but even then it's limited because the majority of quests associated with the open world are only solvable one way and once you finish them they're not interesting enough to do again.

It's almost like their original plan was to make it strictly a MMO, decided halfway through to change it to SP, but stuck with most of the features already implemented for the MMO.

Having said all that, it's not that I disliked[/ it.  I did play through twice, after all.  It's just in comparison to previous DAs, or even Bio games, it's one of the games I least have interest in playing through multiple times.  The only exception may be if Bio comes out with a kick ass DLC/expansion that fleshes out or expands upon the main story.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I've avoided all the romances, they seem pretty easy to miss.  Just don't click on the pink hearts.

I picked the hearts almost all the time. It was funny.

Nothing wrong with Iron Bull. He's the man you got to if you want to mess around with regardless of what sex you are.

There is everything wrong with the romances as they are for the most part cringy. Also, BW shouldn't be involved in open world games and they shouldn't in fact let you choose your own team. Those are missed opportunities for some character development, so DA:I; jack of all trades master of none, recycled assets from Origin and as usual the best girl doesn't have romance scene. (It's Harding if you're wondering)

Doesn't seem like you understand the purpose of Romance in RPG Orog?

They are there to add greater  immersive interaction with party members and make the whole RPG journey more memorable...don't be a hater  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Doesn't seem like you understand the purpose of Romance in RPG Orog?

They are there to add greater  immersive interaction with party members and make the whole RPG journey more memorable...don't be a hater  :biggrin:

No. They are included so manchildren can digitally cuddle and copulate with their digital waifus and stroke egos of bioware's target audience. In case of DA:I - also to attract SJW scum.

Good thing Pillars of Eternity refused the idea of romances early on.

MzpydUh.gif