IWD vs P:E combat - likes and dislikes

Yes that can't be denied and it's subjective as to whether the conversation with the Wizard, Nordom's acquisition and the loot is worth that much effort. Especially for a Mage Nameless.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The Modron Puzzle Cube was... ugh, god damn. Parodying bad dungeon crawls is dangerous ground, man. It turns out that knowing the puzzle cube is a bad dungeon crawl ironically doesn't make it much more fun in the end.

I guess Nordom is cool but does he really make up for it?

If you map the Cube it becomes infinitely easier, if I remember correctly the hard difficulty version in which you acquire Nordom and face the Wizard is set in an 8 by 8 cube. The loot and experience from clearing out these rooms is tremendous, and quite easily gained for a reasonably melee focused Nameless One.

If you map the Cube, know exactly what to look for, and know to avoid confronting the Wizard until after you've recruited Nordom.  You could accidentally lock yourself out of much of N's development in dialogue if you stumble into the Wizard lair without him. 

I always just ran by the majority of the Constructs. 

The Modron Puzzle Cube was... ugh, god damn. Parodying bad dungeon crawls is dangerous ground, man. It turns out that knowing the puzzle cube is a bad dungeon crawl ironically doesn't make it much more fun in the end.

If you map the Cube it becomes infinitely easier, if I remember correctly the hard difficulty version in which you acquire Nordom and face the Wizard is set in an 8 by 8 cube. The loot and experience from clearing out these rooms is tremendous, and quite easily gained for a reasonably melee focused Nameless One.

If you map the Cube, know exactly what to look for, and know to avoid confronting the Wizard until after you've recruited Nordom.  You could accidentally lock yourself out of much of N's development in dialogue if you stumble into the Wizard lair without him. 

the cube is not a complex puzzle, but as you note, you can accidental cheat yourself out o' a notable encounter.  the cube struck us as little more than an a cheap time sink. the necessary repetition to be making the puzzle a challenge (*snort*) were also resulting in prohibitive tedium.  even so, many ps:t players responded that the cube were keen.  fell wood were a slight more complex version o' the cube and there were no way to accidental cheat yourself out of content. nevertheless, the fell wood puzzle did rely on repetition and tedious mapping o' paths.  the responding fanbase, as a whole, liked the modron maze.  the fan base hated fell wood.  go figure.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I may be mis-remembering but if you collapse the hard dungeon, recreate it and then go through again, your confrontation with the newly recreated Wizard will reboot Nordom's responses if you bring him with you. Though obviously this is even more of a repetitive and grindy time sink.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

the cube is not a complex puzzle, but as you note, you can accidental cheat yourself out o' a notable encounter.  the cube struck us as little more than an a cheap time sink. the necessary repetition to be making the puzzle a challenge (*snort*) were also resulting in prohibitive tedium.  even so, many ps:t players responded that the cube were keen.  fell wood were a slight more complex version o' the cube and there were no way to accidental cheat yourself out of content. nevertheless, the fell wood puzzle did rely on repetition and tedious mapping o' paths.  the responding fanbase, as a whole, liked the modron maze.  the fan base hated fell wood.  go figure.

HA! Good Fun!

A few jokes go a long way, I guess.  And it probably helps that the Maze wasn't on the critical-path like the Fell Wood was. 

That said, like many others, I totally missed Nordom on my first run through Torment.  Really silly decision to place one of only 7 joinable NPCs (and one with a pretty big-name voice artist, no less) in a wholly optional randomly generated maze with a hidden entrance. 

That said, like many others, I totally missed Nordom on my first run through Torment.  Really silly decision to place one of only 7 joinable NPCs (and one with a pretty big-name voice artist, no less) in a wholly optional randomly generated maze with a hidden entrance. 

Simply a game that doesn't shy away from offering players big surprises. A rare quality nowadays

• Like 3