Engine/Middleware Modifications - What/Who?

Luridis

I'm curious to know from someone on the inside. If you need a feature, or anything else that isn't supported in the engine as you get it (Unity/Unreal/Source/etc.) Where is the line between what the studio would need to do themselves and what the engine developer would have do?

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious to know from someone on the inside. If you need a feature, or anything else that isn't supported in the engine as you get it (Unity/Unreal/Source/etc.) Where is the line between what the studio would need to do themselves and what the engine developer would have do?

Errm not sure what the question means but I think I can guess.

If you're asking about how much do the developers have to code compared to how much they inherit from the game engine that depends upon the game. Sometimes they have to develop entire tools to do the things they want to or to insert features that are lacking on the engine. But the engine developers don't work on games, they might receive feedback from game developers but won't develop tools exclusively for a game unless they are the ones making it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If you're asking about how much do the developers have to code compared to how much they inherit from the game engine that depends upon the game. Sometimes they have to develop entire tools to do the things they want to or to insert features that are lacking on the engine. But the engine developers don't work on games, they might receive feedback from game developers but won't develop tools exclusively for a game unless they are the ones making it.

I'll give you a for-instance... CryEngine is currently being reworked by the Star Citizen developers to incorporate double precisions for world space coordinates. That is, of course, no small feature to add. I personally would think that required a lot of library modification to support, since anything that interacts with world space might need a calculation adjustment.

My question is, wouldn't that normally be handled by the engine developer and not the game studio?

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I'll give you a for-instance... CryEngine is currently being reworked by the Star Citizen developers to incorporate double precisions for world space coordinates. That is, of course, no small feature to add. I personally would think that required a lot of library modification to support, since anything that interacts with world space might need a calculation adjustment.

My question is, wouldn't that normally be handled by the engine developer and not the game studio?

Like I said, everything game related is done by the game studio but it isn't necessarily built from scratch since the engine already has variables in it (be a piss poor engine if it didn't) that the developers can use. It may be that there aren't functions that do what they want or that they don't like how they work, so they develop their own functions that inherit from the engine scripts.

Short answer; is the game studio.  

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that Unreal engine subcribers get the whole thing. The source code to alter any way they want. I would imagine you get someone who knows how to do the feature  you want, but source code modification is available for anyone. 

In the case of Unreal they get their cut when and if you sell your game.  

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.