Self driving cars

Hurlshort

I imagine failures would be handled much like they are now, your car dies and you have to pull to the shoulder.

Edit:  Yeah, apparently Elon Musk freaked people out with that story.  I don't see that being anywhere near our lifetime or even our children's lifetime.  People like their classic cars.

Edited by Hurlshot

Yes, and pulling over will need a manual system. No re-testing in Ontario, which is odd but does explain the drivers here.

Musk is probably correct, though hopefully in the future it's not a total ban - people still are permitted to ride horses after all :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yes, and pulling over will need a manual system. No re-testing in Ontario, which is odd but does explain the drivers here.

Musk is probably correct, though hopefully in the future it's not a total ban - people still are permitted to ride horses after all :p

That's why I really see this being most feasible on freeways.  I'd be more than happy to drive myself around town.  We already have meter lights at all the freeway entrances in my part of the world, I doubt it is a huge step forward for those meter lights to act as a transition to automatic.  Choose your exit and away you go.  An automated system should be more efficient at handling the flow of traffic.  

We will see how they progress on this.  I'm hoping I get to take advantage of it someday.