The Mercenary Camp: Design an AH Companion

Welcome to the Mercenary Camp!

This is a place to gather inspiration, or outright abstract and "hire" one of the Companions below into the Backer Beta or in the released title. "Hiring" means you copy+paste the attributes, portrait, name, culture etc.

Put portraits in portraits folder.

These are Adventurer's Hall Companions, custom made, and I thought sharing some of the characters I've made would be fun. The Adventurer's Hall is full of virtually infinite character concepts, and thought it'd be fun to create some "Named" Mercenaries/Laborers or whatever.

Eodewyn, Human Druid

Portraits:
_lg, _sm

Name: Eodewyn, or Dewyn

Race: Human
Subrace: Meadowfolk
Culture: Deadfire Archipelago - Drifter

Class: Druid - Cat-form

Might: 8
Constitution: 10
Dexterity: 14
Perception: 16

Intellect: 14
Resolve: 16

Personality: Eodewyn is a person with very few words, and pale expressions, with good reason. Inside of him he's fighting an evil woodland spirit that is trying to infiltrate and destroy his soul, or devour it. Just like it did Kasana.

History: Eodewyn pretty much grew up in the forest, always surrounded by it, embraced by it. Sneaking around in it, and playing around. He had a natural talent to commune with nature, and it taught him much.

As he grew out of his teenage years, he was visited by a druid order, he had become more serious and mature by this time, and followed understandingly.

There he remained for a greater period, and met many friends and family. An uneventful, but, happy life, for those who do not ask for much. On one of his promenades, he met Kasana...

Kasana, Elf Priest

Portraits:
_lg, _sm

Name: Kasana

Race: Elf
Subrace: Wood
Culture: The White That Wends - Mystic

Class: Priest - Skaen

Might: 14
Dexterity: 15
Perception: 15

Resolve: 10

Personality: Once the vessel of a no-gooder, now a vessel for a whimsical and evil woodland spirit. The only reason it isn't evil and terrifying outwardly, is because Eodewyn and the "thing" are entwined in destiny. Although, sometimes Kasana's body cracks from it's usual tomboy-ish behavior, and act terrifyingly.

History: One command, and Kasana willfully accepted. She were delighted to carry out this task, after all, her entire life she had been raised to accept this day. She was to become a vessel of a great power, brainwashed she gladly went down the fields, into the forest.

There she embraced the light, which broke the life of those around her, and amidst her succumbing to the blackened darkness, was a man with a staff.

^Eodewyn and Kasana/Spirit come in a pack (Like Khalid & Jaheira, or Montaron & Xzar).

Byorgh, Dwarf Barbarian

Portraits:
_lg, _sm

Name: Byorgh

Race: Dwarf
Subrace: Mountain Dwarf
Culture: Aedyr - Hunter

Class: Barbarian

Might: 15
Constitution: 12
Dexterity: 14
Perception: 12

Resolve: 11

Personality: Byooorgh! He's a happy-go-lucky Dwarf warrior, he's a fearsome fighter, but prefers hard ale and women above it.

History: A long long long time ago that matters no more, the dwarf is back on the road after many long years. Back to adventuring and earning the honest coin! Though, in truth, the wife only asked him to sober up outside, and he stumbled out into the past, his exploring days.

St'fein, Orlan Cipher

Portraits:
_lg, _sm

Name: St'fein

Race: Orlan
Subrace: Hearth
Culture: Old Vailia - Artist

Class: Cipher

Might: 12
Dexterity: 16
Perception: 14

Intellect: 13
Resolve: 13

Personality: A showman, an artist with the blade and its ways, to add further to his acrobatic and circus numbers, he plays tricks with others minds. In many orders he's an unknown wanted man, might be his size but he's darn sneaky.

History: For as long as he can remember, he's always been a sword for hire in one way or another. Performing with the blades is his strongest passion.

Feron, Human Paladin

Portraits:
_lg, _sm

Name: Feron

Race: Human
Subrace: Meadowfolk
Culture: Rauatai - Laborer

Class: Paladin - Kind Wayfarer

Constitution: 16
Dexterity: 12
Perception: 12

Intellect: 11
Resolve: 13

Personality: Once a guardsman with renown, cast out, became a drunk. Met with some inner power and is stoic, silent, faithful and loyal. He helps anyone on their way with a kind smile and a strong arm. He'd do it for free but, it's tough times.

History: His origins lie in craftsmanship, building houses, furniture, logistics. And when he was finished with it, he became a guardian of his crafts, he was well appreciated by everyone, a leader figure.

But along the way, his friends and family were killed. His performance waned and he was cast out after misbehaving, from his own creations. In an attempt to take his own life, he met with some inner power, something had accepted and chosen him. And he cast away the knife, and began a journey to help others, were he had failed previously.

Portraits:
_lg, _sm

Name: Jhul

Race: Human
Subrace: Meadowfolk
Culture: Aedyr - Dissident

Class: Rogue

Dexterity: 18
Perception: 15

Intellect: 10
Resolve: 11

Personality: A thief, a troublemaker, a shadow and a glimmer of a blade. Jhul is a lone wolf, most often takes contracts from only higher ups, an assassin. She is a cold-ice killer, with little emotion.

History: Jhul was born in a poor district, and was sold off as a child to a local gangster. From there on she experienced much horror, to strengthen her and to push her. Hers was a life full of drugs and sedation, as is her memory foggy and blurry. When her master died, she was recruited by the very invaders, calling themselves the Void Cult.

Jhul died, officially, that day. Unofficially, she carried out tasks for the Cult. Eventually, she betrayed them, killed their leader and fled in the night. She'd never meet the Cult again, but they were out there. She moved from client to client for a while, staying the shadows. Nowadays you'd find her cursing in an inn or tavern, as she lost all of her clients one by one. Her price was too steep.

Feel free to add/design more companions for the Adventurer's Hall, below is the simple template I used.

Template:

Portraits:

Name: 
Race: 
Subrace: 
Culture: 

Class: 

Might: 
Constitution: 
Dexterity: 
Perception: 

Intellect: 
Resolve: 

Personality: 

History: .

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 2

I was going to make a new thread, but I think what I wanted to address can go into this thread as well.

Pre-Generate Character
Is this something that will be in?

Or "Importing/Exporting" Characters. This is a feature in IWD:EE, BG:EE and BG2:EE (and I think in some of the vanilla versions too).

Why am I wondering? Because I could create my own arsenal of Adventurer's Hall Companions, pre-generated before starting. Creating "unique" Mercenary Camp characters, and when I get to the AH in-game to hire a companion, I could quick-hire one of the pre-generated ones instead of creating a new one everytime I click "Hire". Otherwise, I'll just make character templates (as seen in OP) and copy-paste stats like that.

Thoughts?

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Players could even share their characters online, "Adventurer's Hall Packs" or similar. Would require a "AH Companion Folder" perhaps (Like "Portraits").

It could be a global variable even... "Check Companion Folder" before "Hiring". Every character/AH Companion you've ever made could be automatically saved into this "Folder" and whenever you want to hire a companion at a later stage, or a second or third playthrough, you'd get the option for those you made previously (or make a new one).

In Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, all characters you make get saved at the Starting screen, and whenever you want to make a new character, you can either pick from the list of already made characters, or make an entirely new one.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1