RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

The subscription model is pretty much dead.  What subscription-based MMOs have succeeded in staying subscription-based?

• WoW
  • FFXIV
  • Eve Online

There's also Wildstar, but I predict that will drop the sub within the next 6 months.  

For me, personally, a subscription is a barrier to me ever even trying a MMO.  If a game is F2P, I may give it a shot, because what have I got to lose except some time?  If I wind up having fun with the game, I may buy some stuff to support the devs.  If I have to buy a retail copy of the game then fork over $15 a month, I'll never even try the game.  Simple as.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Guys if you are interested in EVE PM me, I can give you buddy invitation - you will get 21 days for free instead of 14 in classic trial

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I was in the wrong regarding TESO, though. I pegged the F2P switch at 6 months after launch, similar to SW:TOR and The Secret World. They held out admirably, for a full year! :bow:

Also in the news:

Man Found Dead in Taiwan After Multi-Day Video Game Binge

The gamer community will provide funeral honors to the fallen hero. Eulogies are expected to contain the appropriate amount of misoginy, juveline humor, and all-around self-indulgence in order to justify the gaming journalists' continuous finger-pointing crusade.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Elder Scrolls Online is going Buy-to-Play in March, and being released on consoles in June:

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2015/01/21/eso-heads-to-consoles-june-9th

Really excited to try it out. I am sure the exploration will be fun, with or without a friend. I wouldn't mind playing together with you chaps once it's released.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Holy crap! Paul Neurath is going to Kickstart a successor to Ultima Underworld on Feb. 4, called Underworld Ascendant! 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ultima-underworld-spiritual-successor-in-the-works/1100-6424764/

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/01/21/paul-neurath-brings-iconic-franchise-back-with-underworld-ascendant?watch

And Warren Spector is consulting on it.

Edit: Apparenly he acquired the rights back in July, and I just missed the news... Whoops

Edited by Noviere
  • Like 3

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Game of Thrones Episode 2 on February 3rd for most. Who cares? THIS GUY. Back in the Telltale fanboy groove.

Tales of the Borderlands episode 2 is hinted as soon, supposedly the VO is done.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think many of you will enjoy a jaunt through ESO, it doesn't depart from the single player experience much when it comes to exploring and questing.  Like every ES game, I eventually lost interest, but for awhile I really dug it.  Also, one of the better crafting systems I've seen.

RPS talks about Battlefleet Gothic Armada http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/21/first-look-battlefleet-gothic-armada/

The news that an adaptation of Games Workshop’s Battlefleet Gothic was in development made for happy reading last week but solid facts were thin on the ground. We knew that the game would be real-time rather than turn-based, which was cause for concern in some quarters, and that four factions would be available. Now, following a meeting with the developers yesterday, I have all of the details necessary to soothe concerns. Armada is packed with clever ideas and I’ve dissected them below.

How does a dynamic campaign including possible Exterminatus orders on planets that fall under enemy control sound? How about captains with skills that develop over time and personalities that can lead them to disobey orders? Of course, this being the grImperium, anyone showing disobedience to a superior’s commands can be executed, restoring order. The chain of events that can lead to an individual execution or a planetwide Exterminatus seem like they’re key to an understanding of the game Tindalos are hoping to make. Armada isn’t aiming to be a direct digital adaptation of the Battlefleet rules but it won’t be a linear RTS wearing borrowed insignia and uniform from a popular mythology.

The two aspects outlined above – the possible fates of planets and of captains – help to explain how campaign and combat will work, and how they’ll capture the flavour of Warhammer 40k.

First, let’s cover combat. It’s realtime, with no turn-based option, but the pace will be slow enough to allow for careful planning, as befits the hulking great ships that are at the heart of the game. Naval battles are the inspiration, so manoeuvring into position to launch broadside attacks or ramming or boarding actions will be more important than being able to monitor and operate hundreds of weapon systems simultaneously. Apart from your Admiral’s ship, every vessel in your fleet will respond to the changing situation during a mission without waiting for commands from on high. While you can directly intervene, the fleet should be able to handle itself thanks to a set of behaviours assigned before battle commences.

You’ll choose those behaviours yourself, and can alter them mid-mission if necessary, which should provide a sense of control without the need for rapid micromanagement. As an example, Tindalos showed a set of disengagement options, instructing a captain to pull out of combat when his ship had taken a certain amount of damage. Perhaps you want him to disengage early because you’ve spent a fortune upgrading his weapons systems, or because the crew are particularly talented and should definitely live to fight another day. Whatever the case, as soon as the threshold is reached, he should activate his warp drive and scarper.

A particularly brave captain might refuse the order, however, insisting that his crew be reduced to space dust rather than retreating. At this point, you have a choice – allow him to follow his dreams of glory/death, or put your foot down and force obedience. If you choose the former course, dissent within the ranks will grow and other captains will become more likely to rebel against orders, but if you rattle the chain of command, a ‘Blame’ point will be assigned to the captain. If he accrues three, he’s for the chop, publicly executed to set an example. All glory to the Emperor.

Executing a captain means that all of his experience and skills are lost, which is a bad thing. But, on the flip side, all dissent vanishes when an execution takes place, so all other captains should be a little more obedient, at least for a while. It’s not clear how many personality types the final game will contain but the friction between player-set behaviours and occasional disobedience should make the scale of battles easier to manage while ensuring there are difficult choices to make as conflict develops.

The campaign map should offer something similar – difficult decisions, along with fleet management, rather than linear progression. It’s a dynamic simulation of the war for the Gothic system. All four factions will be in play – Eldar, Ork, Imperium and Chaos – but while all are available in multiplayer and skirmish modes (the latter not yet confirmed but likely), players will always control an Imperial fleet. There’ll be a two player cooperative option as well as the single player mode, and the campaign map is dynamic, with non-player Imperial fleets in action alongside the invading forces.

Rather than gathering territory and expanding your power, the main objective at the beginning of the game will be to defend what is already yours. The whole system is under Imperial control when the game begins and you’ll be zipping about in an attempt to protect planets from the three enemy factions. If a planet does fall under the control of the Orks, Chaos or Eldar, the Imperium might set a date for Exterminatus, destroying the entire population and removing any resources generated by the territory out of the game. Movement on the campaign map is turn-based and once an Exterminatus order is set, a turn timer will tick down next to the planet. If you don’t reclaim it before the timer hits zero, it’ll be eliminated.

Armada’s end-game concerns Abaddon the Despoiler and his Black Legion, and there will be specific missions that relate to understanding and vanquishing the Chaos fleet, but the other factions will have their own story missions as well. While they won’t be playable during the campaign, multiplayer will support all four factions and just as in single player, your fleet can be customised and will be persistent from one battle to the next. Characters gain experience and skills, and ships can have new equipment added, including weapons and other subsystems. There’ll be around sixty possible upgrades for ships and, deliciously, Chaos vessels can use any Chaos Mark to alter the appearance and abilities of their vessels.

During combat, specific systems can be damaged, disabled and targeted, and repairs will cost either money or require time out of the fray. If a ship’s warp-drive is knocked out, it’ll be unable to escape combat but if disaster does strike, the crew can be evacuated. There’s another difficult decision to be made – abandon an expensive ship to save a talented crew, or hope they can hold out until the tide of battle turns in your favour.

While boarding actions are possible, ships cannot be captured. Sending in the marines is a method of taking down overpowered ships without trading broadside blows – scuttling rather than stealing. Like everything else discussed, Tindalos backed up their decision with reference to the original tabletop game and the fiction of 40k. Whether they’ll succeed in all their ambitions is impossible to say and the game won’t be released this year, but their passion for and knowledge of the license isn’t in any doubt. Thankfully, they’re unwilling to use the license as a crutch to prop up a reskinned RTS.

It’s early days. I’ve only seen a basic prototype of two fleets in battle and mock-ups of the campaign screens, but Armada has enough good ideas and smart mechanics to be a great space strategy game, regardless of the license. Chaotic cathedral ships might well be the icing on a particularly delicious cake.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nice, thanks for the copy-paste aswell. Shamefull that they did'nt ask the single most important question of all; Will there be nova-cannons?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Mars War Logs spinoff announced

Obviously not a sequel, it would be too hard for a mid-size studio to take into account which waifu you took along in the end.

Great news, I thought they really missed the opportunity to explore the remnants of original colonies introduced in Mars. Sounds like they're expanding the game just in the way they should, hopefully they'll pull it off.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Splatoon came out of nowhere at E3 2014 and has rapidly gone from "heh, that looks interesting" to "whoa, this looks pretty fun" to "I MUST HAVE THIS NOW" for me.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If you were a PSN user during the period of the attacks in 2011, you're eligible for a part of a class action settlement.

There is a proposed settlement with Sony Network Entertainment International LLC ("SNE"), Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC ("SCEA"), and Sony Online Entertainment LLC ("SOE") in a class action lawsuit about the illegal and unauthorized attacks in April 2011 on the computer network systems used to provide the Sony PlayStation Network, Qriocity, and SOE services (the "Intrusions").

Accountholders can get benefits if they had a PlayStation Network ("PSN") account, a Qriocity account, or an SOE account at any time before May 15, 2011.

The proposed settlement offers payments equal to credit balances (if applicable credit balance is $2.00 or more) in inactive accounts, game and online service benefits for holders of active accounts, and reimbursements for certain out-of-pocket expenses from any identity theft proven to have resulted from the Intrusions.

https://psnsoesettlement.com/

Holy crap! Paul Neurath is going to Kickstart a successor to Ultima Underworld on Feb. 4, called Underworld Ascendant! 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ultima-underworld-spiritual-successor-in-the-works/1100-6424764/

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/01/21/paul-neurath-brings-iconic-franchise-back-with-underworld-ascendant?watch

And Warren Spector is consulting on it.

Edit: Apparenly he acquired the rights back in July, and I just missed the news... Whoops

Guys this is a MUST pledge effort  :yes:

Here is the website for those interested 

http://www.othersideentertainment.com/

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I hate these types of lawsuits.

This one seems kind of weird to me. Basically it's like a lesser Welcome Back program like Sony did before. Unless you stopped using your account or have provable damages from trying to protect your identity, you're filing for free games or PSN+ time.

If this was for money, I wouldn't have filed my claim. But a court agreed Sony owes me three months of PSN+? Okay, I can work with that.

• Like 1

Going back to The Witcher 3's announced system requirements, there was this comic from Penny Arcade:

i-Gj9DGH2-1050x10000.jpg

Maybe it's Gromnir's new avatar, but I can't help but imagine Cevat Yarli channeling General Buck Turgidson in EA's war-room: "Mr Probst! We must not alloooooww... a system requirements gap!"

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Seems Grey Goo is getting decent reviews, and scuttlebutt is that it's like C&C of old so that can be a plus for some.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/01/grey-goo-review-a-real-time-strategy-throwback-that-moves-forward/

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/23/dying-light-be-the-zombie-mode-free/#more-265291

Here is something different, the upcoming game Dying Light and being able to play as a Zombie...looks fun  :alien: 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The Bard’s Tale 4 announced by inXile.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/01/24/the-bards-tale-4-announced-by-inxile-entertainment-at-pax-south/

Another Kickstarter campaign by Fargo.

Sweeeeeeeeet...day 1 pledge for sure  :dancing:

John Milton