RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

Okay - so Beamdog has just stated that they will release a completely new Infinity Engine game. Read here.

"We’ve mentioned before that Adventure Y will be an addition to the Baldur’s Gate line using the Infinity engine, bridging the gap between Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition."

Just... Wow. This is happening in 2015. There might be hope for humanity after all.

• Like 3

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Does this mean a glimmer of hope for IWD2: EE and PST: EE? Was kind of left despondent by the news from Beamdog that the Infinity Engine games that used DnD3 ruleset would be a significant challenge to bring over for the team, casting doubt that those two would ever come out.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I prefer this one :p

I rode in this carnival ride once, some car-looking thing that's actually a rolls-on-metal-pylons theater, where you sat in a seat and watched a driving scene as the whole contraption rolled and moved side to side. I came out of it with rattled shoulders and a motion tension neck headache. I wonder what my response to that thing would be. It looks more comfy, but... :lol:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Okay - so Beamdog has just stated that they will release a completely new Infinity Engine game. Read here.

"We’ve mentioned before that Adventure Y will be an addition to the Baldur’s Gate line using the Infinity engine, bridging the gap between Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition."

Just... Wow. This is happening in 2015. There might be hope for humanity after all.

I've been waiting for this ever since I've seen their "enhanced" editions. Now the entire IE-fan community will see what an inept company Beamdog is when they're not riding on the old glory of BioWare. Their own content is 4th rate fan fiction crap. I wrote that kind of stuff when I was a teen fledgling Dungeon Master, ~25 years ago.

Oh wait! Their game will bridge the gap between BG1 and BG2, so they will still be riding on the old glory of BioWare, using characters, storylines, places, monsters, items, everything. Because without that kind of backup, their games would be so bad that the RPGCodex would write a three-act opera about its badness. These people shouldn't be allowed to even touch the sacred ancient content of BioWare.

(My RPG content rating system is, narrative-wise: 4th rate fan fiction crap; 3rd rate tie-in novel crap; 2nd rate bestseller crap; 1st rate actual literature crap)

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I've been waiting for this ever since I've seen their "enhanced" editions. Now the entire IE-fan community will see what an inept company Beamdog is when they're not riding on the old glory of BioWare. Their own content is 4th rate fan fiction crap. I wrote that kind of stuff when I was a teen fledgling Dungeon Master, ~25 years ago.

Oh wait! Their game will bridge the gap between BG1 and BG2, so they will still be riding on the old glory of BioWare, using characters, storylines, places, monsters, items, everything. Because without that kind of backup, their games would be so bad that the RPGCodex would write a three-act opera about its badness. These people shouldn't be allowed to even touch the sacred ancient content of BioWare.

(My RPG content rating system is, narrative-wise: 4th rate fan fiction crap; 3rd rate tie-in novel crap; 2nd rate bestseller crap; 1st rate actual literature crap)

Yeah, we will see I guess.

I'm pretty much undecided regarding the quality of Beamdog's own additions, but that's because I don't have any experience with them this far.

I'm more interested in the trend. Right now, we have Wasteland 2, PoE, Torment:TToN, the list goes on with more indie titles. New IE game being made in 2015. What's going to happen next?

Baldur's Gate 3 is pretty much just waiting to happen. It is unclear how I will feel about it since I decided to boycott any and all future FR products when 4th ed FR was released. I heard they fixed a lot of the stupid stuff though. Who knows.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

So Beamdog has access to a D&D license, I mean, to make *new* stuff?

Now I'd lie if I said the prospect of a BG(2)-style game weren't exciting, but I'd appreciate it if they left the actual Baldur's Gate name alone, the saga was pretty much finished (there were some interesting concepts in other threads/forums for post ascendance gameplay, but I don't have much faith in anyone but inXile/Bioware pulling those off properly), time for them to prove on their own they can create an experience that is as memorable as the BG-series was for many of us.

• Like 1

I don't see how you even could bridge the two. The opening cinematic did that. How do you make an entire game out of "you fled and got jumped."

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yeah, we will see I guess.

I'm pretty much undecided regarding the quality of Beamdog's own additions, but that's because I don't have any experience with them this far.

I'm more interested in the trend. Right now, we have Wasteland 2, PoE, Torment:TToN, the list goes on with more indie titles. New IE game being made in 2015. What's going to happen next?

Baldur's Gate 3 is pretty much just waiting to happen. It is unclear how I will feel about it since I decided to boycott any and all future FR products when 4th ed FR was released. I heard they fixed a lot of the stupid stuff though. Who knows.

Yes, it's wonderful that there seems the slimmest possibility of new D&D games, and that a new IE game of all things is being made.

The only pity is that it's being done by a company with a track record of either (1) awful, awful, useless crap that is worse than the original; (2) eh, okay but not really worth paying for. 

The sad thing is that when you look at some of the modders they've hired since starting... the mods that community made was better than what Beamdog is making now. 

Oh wait! Their game will bridge the gap between BG1 and BG2, so they will still be riding on the old glory of BioWare, using characters, storylines, places, monsters, items, everything. Because without that kind of backup, their games would be so bad that the RPGCodex would write a three-act opera about its badness.

actually, RPG Codex would love it, probably

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Those Beamdog hacks really want to make Baldur's gate 3, don't they? This is probably some effort to test waters, wish them the worst sales numbers imaginable.

So Beamdog has access to a D&D license, I mean, to make *new* stuff?

Who knows? BG 1.5 would not really be new in the same sense that a BG3 would be, but more in the way their new add ins to BG1 and BG2 were new.

The D&D5 talk implies stuff, but then again saying IWD2 with its 3e is too hard also implies stuff in the opposite direction.

actually, RPG Codex would love it, probably

Like Dragon Age: Origins, 'Codex RPG of the year for 2009.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/06/grey-goo-release-date/

RPS preview of Grey Goo. Seems promising, even if Meer seems to suck at the game.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I can say for sure that I like that people are working on these kinds of games at least. Me, I'm perfectly fine with the "normal" versions of BG1 and BG2, but maybe I should buy the EE versions just to put my money where my mouth is.

I would punch a baby seal in the face for another D&D game using the same rule set as the BG series but that aint gonna happen. Can anyone provide an opinion on 5E? Is it enjoyable? Would it translate well into a PC game?

It's a little simplistic and focused more on roleplaying than 4e, also the combat is rather lethal from what i've seen so far, I think it would be largely dependant on the implementation. Personally i've enjoyed GMing so far, but I have to admit my players have asked for various house rules to be added.

Have the enhanced editions improved pathfinding and the other common complaints with the IE games?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Just got a facebook update from Harebrained schemes that the Shadowrun: Hongkong kickstarter will go live at January 13th. Get your wallets ready!

I didn't back the original, but I'll definitely be chipping in for Hong Kong. DMS was pretty good, and Dragonfall was really good. I can't wait to see what else they've got :)