Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

Yes almost paradoxical isn't it? Raised in the lap of luxury, and then survive by begging, while genuine poor and homeless people cannot get a handful of copper. Very strange, seemingly no conception of the value of money.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Destructoid posted an article about 2014 in gaming. https://archive.today/mjjpU (harsh language warning)

Like Cthulhu, atleast the guy is pretty straightforward and doesn't discriminate. Everyone gets a fair share of ****.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Wasn't Cernovich supposed to have a debate or something but did poorly? Wouldn't surprise me cause dude always seemed somehow fake to me.

Yeah, he got owned by Chris Kluwe pretty hard.

Then again, this is a dude who believes that male seed cures women's depression, so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he's proven himself to be the intellectual lesser of an ex-NFL player.

Edit: seriously though, why the hell can't I use medical terms without being censored?

That actually isn't as far-fetched as it sounds, estrogen has been linked to depression in women and the testosterone within the male seed could help balance their hormone levels.

http://www.webmd.com/women/guide/estrogen-and-womens-emotions

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

As for the points concerning feminism, it is tangentially related as the SJWs are self described feminists of the sort that commit atrocious actions under its banner. GG is a coming together of people some of which may not be gamers but have a bone to pick with the opposition. Republicans and right wings are sympathetic since they have seemingly been dealing with these extremists for a while with the media ignoring them or ridiculing them. The left is united more in their fight against the right than in its desire to police itself it seems.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

https://medium.com/@socialunjustice/how-gamerghazis-campaign-of-hate-nearly-ruined-my-life-8783ffd94b86

Black teenager chronicles some of his harassment by redditors at GameGhazi.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I didn't say they were redpillers, I just said that some people around here have an unreasonable hatred of all things feminism-related, to the point where it utterly eclipses their ability to think rationally.

Like who ?

Hm, the name these people chose as their anti-GG group (what is with the infantile names for everything in this whole deal anyway ?) is interesting, I had thought all the huff over Benghazi wasn't totally off base.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I didn't say they were redpillers, I just said that some people around here have an unreasonable hatred of all things feminism-related, to the point where it utterly eclipses their ability to think rationally.

Like who ?

Yes, I too would like to know who.  If that accusation is being leveled at me, I would like to vehemently deny it.  In fact, while my views don't line up 100% with them (my views don't even line up 100% with most gamergaters), I tend to agree with a lot of 2nd wave feminists and sex-positive feminists on a good percentage of issues.  When it comes to radical 3rd wave feminists, yeah, I tend to disagree with the vast majority of what a lot of them have to say, on account of a lot of them being either complete lunatics, full of **** charlatans, or a combination of both, in my opinion.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

"Gamerghazi followed me around the internet, spreading the lie that I pretended to be black."

Ghazi sure seems to hate minorities.

I've noticed they reserve their most vicious attacks for racial minorities, non-heterosexuals, and women. Not sure what that says about them as a group, but I'm going to say it isn't good.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Remember when they said GTA V was terrible cause it was endorsing torture or some crap?

How do you think they'd react to a video like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPV6uJU81D0

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Why do feminists and anti GGers - espicially the ones in this thread - so reaidly endorse sexism, racism, and hatred. They still haven't explained why it's okay for Bruce to mansplain to my neice why it's okay for him to tell her what games she can and cannot play. Why is it okay for Bruce to enslave my neice? That's evil.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Another tangent:

Anyone else find it interesting how far all of this spreads?

In the last week I have seen:

-A thread on the TF2 subreddit derailed because OP linked to Kotaku with no knowledge of Gamergate. Thread turned into people asking him never to directly link there and suggesting he read up on it.

-A GameGrumps video, a channel I haven't revisited in ages, having a heated discussion about Arin (Egoraptor) being anti-GG

-A youtube video about the NFL, another about Chris-Chan, another just a clip from Pokemon, and another about Dark Souls 2, all alluding to feminism in a negative way that seemed to directly allude to feminism involved with GamerGate

It's just kinda funny to see where it turns up. The first two I'd expect to a degree, the latter ones...the various youtube videos. It was like wtf.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Reddit just banned Kotaku in action from linking to advertisers and providing boycott/complaint initiatives.

Boycott of the day? Mail target of the day? Posting feedback information for advertisers to sites like Gawker? GONE. Not allowed anymore: https://twitter.com/TheHat2/status/551097959207956481

This is huge.

Reddit just banned Kotaku in action from linking to advertisers and providing boycott/complaint initiatives.

Boycott of the day? Mail target of the day? Posting feedback information for advertisers to sites like Gawker? GONE. Not allowed anymore: https://twitter.com/TheHat2/status/551097959207956481

This is huge.

Looks like we may see a migration to /gamergate/ or Voat.

http://voat.co/v/KotakuInAction

This is just crazy to me.

Example: Jimmy Wales with Wikipedia. My stance is that Jimmy considers GamerGate small time, just doesn't give a damned or care about the accuracy or truth or corruption of such a small time issue, and wishes the drama around the article would go away so he could focus on more important work. This is exactly what I would expect.

....So why does reddit care? That tweet SPECIFICALLY bans boycotts from KiA. It's not a site-wide ban for boycotts. It's not effecting other subreddits, so apparently the admins of this massive site specifically got together to discuss KiA. He claims it's about witch hunts, yet the witch hunt activity is only banned for one subreddit.

To me, that screams that someone just called in a favor. The boycotting efforts left scars on someone, and now they're calling in a favor with buddies at reddit. That is the only logical implication I can make of this, which to me, is just insane. I think it was Sargon who sounded frustrated with a DiGRa video he made and basically said "I know this sounds like crazy conspiracy stuff....but I did the research myself, and I just showed it to you. It's real, and that's what makes this even MORE crazy." Well, that's pretty much how I feel about this.

But yeah, GamerGate needs a new hub. If anything, all that ban does is validate that yes, the boycotts are f***ing working. I believe last thread we were praising Malala Yousafzai (yknow, a REAL feminist) when she said that there's no reason to fear the taliban for shooting her; they are the ones who are afraid. They are afraid of what she might say and what she might accomplish, and that is why they shot her. Same exact principle here. We are being hushed because what we're doing IS F***ING WORKING.

Edited by Longknife

First Wikipedia and now Reddit. Next target is most likely 8chan. 

Everyone please remind the admins at Reddit that the next time someone wishes to mass-email a congressman about the next SOPA-bill, please report it as harassment, since it follows the very same trail of logic.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

First Wikipedia and now Reddit. Next target is most likely 8chan.

I actually made a thread discussing this same point: http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2r5g0m/why_the_boycott_ban_is_both_incredibly_good_news/

I forget where in there. :p I only remember thinking and writing that perhaps it'd be best to ensure we have two hubs rather than just 8chan, because I'm certain the moment we're all collected on 8chan, the efforts to ruin 8chan would triple.

Simply put, we need a new hub for boycott goals. Both because it's a cornerstone of GG and because recent actions would imply it was f***ing working.

Quoting this from KiA for epic amounts of truth:

To me, the greatest part about this is that it's proof that they know gamergate is about corruption in the media. If they genuinely believed gamergate was about harassing women, they would have banned harassment of women, which would do nothing because no one is doing that here.

They directly attacked the main purpose of this sub, which is to enable boycotts of corrupt media and journalists. I couldn't imagine a more obvious admission that they know exactly what we're about and are opposed to us attacking corruption.

He's absolutely right.

If GamerGate is a sexist or hate movement, why was our effort to contact advertisers of faceless games journalism websites what got censored? Why wasn't it "any sexist commentary is grounds for an immediate ban?" All too often we've seen commentary like "oh it's actually about sexism. SOME of them are just naive and ignorant and actually care about perceived corruption. I don't see the corruption myself, but those guys are ok." So shouldn't this mean that even anti-gg can agree with us this move is f***ing bullsh*t? They didn't target any perceived sexism or harassment in GamerGate, they targeted complaints to advertisers. THAT was what they deemed off-limits and had to go.

EDIT:  The gold just keeps coming: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6YNS7mCcAAJgOy.jpg:large

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 2

To me, the greatest part about this is that it's proof that they know gamergate is about corruption in the media. If they genuinely believed gamergate was about harassing women, they would have banned harassment of women, which would do nothing because no one is doing that here.

They directly attacked the main purpose of this sub, which is to enable boycotts of corrupt media and journalists. I couldn't imagine a more obvious admission that they know exactly what we're about and are opposed to us attacking corruption.

He's absolutely right.

If GamerGate is a sexist or hate movement, why was our effort to contact advertisers of faceless games journalism websites what got censored? Why wasn't it "any sexist commentary is grounds for an immediate ban?" All too often we've seen commentary like "oh it's actually about sexism. SOME of them are just naive and ignorant and actually care about perceived corruption. I don't see the corruption myself, but those guys are ok." So shouldn't this mean that even anti-gg can agree with us this move is f***ing bullsh*t? They didn't target any perceived sexism or harassment in GamerGate, they targeted complaints to advertisers. THAT was what they deemed off-limits and had to go.

EDIT:  The gold just keeps coming: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6YNS7mCcAAJgOy.jpg:large

2015 is going to be veeeery interesting, i tell you.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

He's absolutely right.

2015 is going to be veeeery interesting, i tell you.

I still can't stop waking up and thinking how insane this all is. It's the most petty, childish and selfish handlings of what are supposed to be legitimate businesses, and it's the type of thing that, were this to appear in fiction, I would discredit the story as being a bit weak as the antagonists and villain's motivations are a bit too lame, and while such motivations exist in the real world, they'd never exist on such a grand scale.

And yet apparently they do. It's like what the ****. I'm just speechless, day in and day out.

Yeah I saw this floating around before. Not surprised, SRS gets away with brigading all the time because mods are sympathetic.

At this point preparing for an exodus is probably a good idea.

In fact, while my views don't line up 100% with them (my views don't even line up 100% with most gamergaters), I tend to agree with a lot of 2nd wave feminists and sex-positive feminists on a good percentage of issues.  When it comes to radical 3rd wave feminists, yeah, I tend to disagree with the vast majority of what a lot of them have to say, on account of a lot of them being either complete lunatics, full of **** charlatans, or a combination of both, in my opinion.

What parts of second-wave and (so-called) "sex-positive" feminism do you agree with and why do you have such a disdain for the third-wave?

I ask because "sex-positivity" is primarily associated with the third wave.