Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

Destructoid posted an article about 2014 in gaming. https://archive.today/mjjpU (harsh language warning)

It was posted under an anonymous persona. I found it an interesting read from someone who essentially just bashed the entire game industry, including gamers, journalists and developers. But I found it more interesting that it was posted anonymously. This situation is going out of control and nobody gets to say anything out of fear of reprisal. Hell, TB got a wave of harassment today because he promoted a charity stream from somebody against #GamerGate and that person got pissed off. "How dare you try to help a charity", I suppose?

Edited by TrueNeutral

I would post a link to Ben 'cry baby' Kuchera of Polygone, whinging about how evil and degenerate gamers are, but I don't know how to archive. This is the same dude who tried to bully David Jaffe into admitting he's a sexual deviant and claimed Tetris is promoting communism. If you want to weep for humanity, read the cheerleaders in the comment section. Wish I hadn't been banned from that site because I really want to say something offensive.

Edited by licketysplit

I would post a link to Ben 'cry baby' Kuchera of Polygone, whinging about how evil and degenerate gamers are, but I don't know how to archive. This is the same dude who tried to bully David Jaffe into admitting he's a sexual deviant and claimed Tetris is promoting communism. If you want to weep for humanity, read the cheerleaders in the comment section. Wish I hadn't been banned from that site because I really want to say something offensive.

If you want to archive, just post the url @ https://archive.today

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The "big news" I'm interested in is how they keep praising that Kim Kardashian game as like some major game or some crap.

It's very odd to me. It's like they want to claim part of the issue with Gamers is that we only like violent, misogynist, meaningless shoot-em-ups, and then they turn around and praise a "game" which, based on my knowledge of it, is practically a scam.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

That game is also incredibly sexist and if that's what is supposedly good for female gamers I'm not sure how games like Bayonetta are worse. It's a trend I've noticed. Dear Esther was a critical darling and anyone who actually paid attention to the dialogue in that game knows that it literally runs on Women In Refrigerator.

Edited by TrueNeutral

claimed Tetris is promoting communism

Thank you very much sir, that just made my day.

"Communism" is just one of those inherently funny words to me, like "weasel" or "chainsaw." Whenever I say the word, I want to wave my hands about and go "WOoooOOOOooo!" like I'm some sort of boogeyman.

• Like 1

"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness and truth are absent." - Leo Tolstoy

claimed Tetris is promoting communism

"Communism" is just one of those inherently funny words to me, like "weasel" or "chainsaw." Whenever I say the word, I want to wave my hands about and go "WOoooOOOOooo!" like I'm some sort of boogeyman.

untitled.jpg

WOoooOOOooo!

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That game is also incredibly sexist and if that's what is supposedly good for female gamers I'm not sure how games like Bayonetta are worse. It's a trend I've noticed. Dear Esther was a critical darling and anyone who actually paid attention to the dialogue in that game knows that it literally runs on Women In Refrigerator.

I still would like to coax a reaction out of games journalists and SJWs alike in regards to Fallout New Vegas, because New Vegas is LITERALLY everything they want in a game (cept for the violence and Caesar's Legion) and yet the only feature it's gotten thusfar is it got tossed into a montage by Anita of games that "objectify women."

Relevant:

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Total Biscuit ends the year by retweeting a fundraiser for disabled children.....well it turns out that the fundraisers found that action as an act of terrorism as he has a horde of evil white men just waiting to destroy everything, leaving them *literally* shaking and crying.

TB doesn't take such accusations well:

[ twitter post images removed - you can just go to his twitter page ... ]

Fundraisers Storify about the whole fiasco: https://storify.com/Tolvo/how-totalbiscuit-tried-to-ruin-a-charity-stream

Edited by LadyCrimson
images, language etc.
  • Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sjkslb

Relevant to Messhugger's post above.

Wish someone would just break a big story like (pure example) Anita being a con artist going to jail or something so this drama could finally calm down. Sadly it seems as though this'll be a painfully slow burn cause that's not happening. Wasn't Cernovich supposed to have a debate or something but did poorly? Wouldn't surprise me cause dude always seemed somehow fake to me.

Wasn't Cernovich supposed to have a debate or something but did poorly? Wouldn't surprise me cause dude always seemed somehow fake to me.

Yeah, he got owned by Chris Kluwe pretty hard.

Then again, this is a dude who believes that male seed cures women's depression, so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he's proven himself to be the intellectual lesser of an ex-NFL player.

Edit: seriously though, why the hell can't I use medical terms without being censored?

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Wish someone would just break a big story like (pure example) Anita being a con artist going to jail or something so this drama could finally calm down. Sadly it seems as though this'll be a painfully slow burn cause that's not happening. Wasn't Cernovich supposed to have a debate or something but did poorly? Wouldn't surprise me cause dude always seemed somehow fake to me.

IMO, Cernovich and the dude behind Sarkeesian Effect possess the dogged desire to discredit feminism that can only come from someone with enough money to blow on whatever stupid **** they want. It's clear that they've involved in this because they smell a chance to take the piss out of feminism and support redpill or whatever they call it. IMO it would've been better to get an actual gamer(like TB or Oliver Campbell) or Hotwheels, because Kluwe did spew a lot of **** that was false and could've been called out on, but Mike seemed more interested in talking ****.

IMO, Cernovich and the dude behind Sarkeesian Effect possess the dogged desire to discredit feminism that can only come from someone with enough money to blow on whatever stupid **** they want. It's clear that they've involved in this because they smell a chance to take the piss out of feminism

To be fair, they're hardly alone with that mentality among GG supporters.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Yeah, it's too bad that Kluwe and Cernovich are both idiots, yet those are the types looking to get into fights over this. I'd be much more interested in seeing TB, Oliver Campbell, Jenn of Hardwire, Georgina Young or Brad Wardell debate over it because those are people who actually care about ethics in games journalism as opposed to Cernovich or Baldwin, who just want to bash feminism. But the fact of the matter is that the smart people aren't picking fights, they're creating meaningful change.

Which is probably a pretty clear and scathing commentary on how many frustrated walls of debating text I've written on the topic. Time to stop posting and write some well-meant rebuild initiative e-mails.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Charity stream for Make a Wish has been live for a while.

http://www.hitbox.tv/GamerGiving2

Drop some money if you can.

IMO, Cernovich and the dude behind Sarkeesian Effect possess the dogged desire to discredit feminism that can only come from someone with enough money to blow on whatever stupid **** they want. It's clear that they've involved in this because they smell a chance to take the piss out of feminism

To be fair, they're hardly alone with that mentality among GG supporters.

Well yes. It would denying reality to say that some people, such as Milo or the Daily Caller guy, are in this because they care so much about vidya. I'd say the same about the opposition, particularly people working for Buzzfeed and Gawker, but I suspect their motives are less ideological and more financial.

Well yes. It would denying reality to say that some people, such as Milo or the Daily Caller guy...

...or a rather sizeable percentage of people posting in these very topics (although I'm obviously not talking about you specifically).

http://thespectacularspider-girl.tumblr.com/post/106782778259/gg-already-took-over-the-unsubtb-tag-and-are-now

Looks like we've co-opted the #unsubTB thing and are now going to have a charity to fight tuberculosis.

Well yes. It would denying reality to say that some people, such as Milo or the Daily Caller guy...

...or a rather sizeable percentage of people posting in these very topics (although I'm obviously not talking about you specifically).

I dunno, most people I've talked to are more concerned about ethics than mra stuff. I'll admit there is strong opposition to what is viewed as "postmodernist third-wave feminism", but support for egalitarianism and equal rights is much more prevalent than redpill stuff, which is bat**** crazy.

That said, I purposely stay away from the redpill dudes. I find them....unpleasant.

Edited by KaineParker

I dunno, most people I've talked to are more concerned about ethics than mra stuff. I'll admit there is strong opposition to what is viewed as "postmodernist third-wave feminism", but support for egalitarianism and equal rights is much more prevalent than redpill stuff, which is bat**** crazy.

That said, I purposely stay away from the redpill dudes. I find them....unpleasant.

I didn't say they were redpillers, I just said that some people around here have an unreasonable hatred of all things feminism-related, to the point where it utterly eclipses their ability to think rationally.

I didn't say they were redpillers, I just said that some people around here have an unreasonable hatred of all things feminism-related, to the point where it utterly eclipses their ability to think rationally.

Ok, I'm hungover right now so I'm probably going to misread some stuff.

What still riles me to an unreasonable degree is how quick the SJFs are to demean, demonise and insult millions of people, they seem to have no hesitation in casting aspersions over vast swathes of people, even if they are spoiled white people themselves who survive off begging. They still feel they have a self righteous right to condemn millions of hard working decent people from diverse races and backgrounds, who happen to share a hobby. And yet we have seen from their moronic utterances that they are largely stupid and single minded, that they favour regressive non interactive games, that they are pro censorship and despise free speech, and they do want ethics to apply to a multi billion dollar industry instead favouring corruption, nepotism and their continued poor level of criticism and lack of purpose.

I'd prefer to think that almost everyone is a good person, decent and moral, hard working and sensible. It may not be true, or it may be, but i'd prefer to give everyone the benefit of the doubt rather than arrogantly air my disdain for millions. I do not think that I have any right to do so, or am equipped to judge them.

Just my opinion however.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!