Current beta v392 Build Broken

Azmodiuz

Question

Without being able to easily travel from one area to the next, or even at times inside a building from the area, the beta is more unplayable then any build before it.

Not everyone is having the same issues, some people seem to go into building and out fine, or can load a save, sometimes it even works on dryford x  but mostly, it just crashes, stalls, or becomes unplayable.

This should be fixed quickly, since its the holidays, and many people will be playing the beta. Otherwise you go two weeks, making the game look bad.

(Which is a shame, cause its really awesome.)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363626865

post-102105-0-22868000-1419706860_thumb.jpg

If you look, I'm off the screen. I could upload dozens of places I load off screen, but I have yet to load ONTO the screen where I can interact.

BROKEN BETA FOR XMAS OH JOY.

Edited by Azmodiuz

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

21 answers to this question

This should be fixed quickly, since its the holidays, and many people will be playing the beta. Otherwise you go two weeks, making the game look bad.

I think it's already too late for that.

The next patch is not likely going to happen before January.

It's also not that the beta is "broken", many people including me are playing just fine.

in this latest build, I'm also do not understand why they removed Dryford crossing from the world map. I can still go there, by going underneath the broken tower/secret temple, but its not on the map. I also can not transition from any map anywhere.

Is there a way to see why mine is different then other people ? maybe its an isolated bug ? Me and my friends all have it. I can't guess what we have in common either.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Without being able to easily travel from one area to the next, or even at times inside a building from the area, the beta is more unplayable then any build before it.

Not everyone is having the same issues, some people seem to go into building and out fine, or can load a save, sometimes it even works on dryford x  but mostly, it just crashes, stalls, or becomes unplayable.

(Which is a shame, cause its really awesome.)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363626865

PoEbetabroken.jpg

If you look, I'm off the screen. I could upload dozens of places I load off screen, but I have yet to load ONTO the screen where I can interact.

BROKEN BETA FOR XMAS OH JO

Maybe you should give the devs more information.  Your output log?  I am not having those issues. 

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Thank you so much for assisting me on reporting this guys, but would you please tell me where I can find this save game folder, I've looked and I do not see anything to do with PoE in my documents, nor do I find a savegame folder in the game directory where it is installed.

I have also at this point uninstalled and re-installed. I also always assumed it was 100% cloud based save, cause every time I uninstall/reinstall all my saves are still there.

okay - with some searching I found it. Folder was in "saved games" in my documents. Then it had a folder called Pillars of eternity, with the  xxx.savegame files.

savedgame before transitioning.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3ij05l3qsx3h6t/2d63c760f9ed4047beb222731ed696cd%207963857%20StormwallGorge.savegame?dl=0

log file: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmvwxsouivfunm4/output_log.txt?dl=0

Dxdiag:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2foqj5n45y8mtds/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

Edited by Azmodiuz

Obsidian wrote:

See this thread for info on output log and save game.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67421-how-to-save-output-logtxt-and-find-saved-games/

Thank you very much for the assitance.

in worst case, someone here can just load my saved game and see if it works for them.

I even tried changing my resolution. All my drivers are up to date too. I lowered the game to 2560x1600 cause 4k was retarded to play at. but anyways...

In defense of the beta, though, it's a beta. It's not meant to be played for joy.

Yeah, except the game is sooooo awesome you can't help playing it anyways.  So, what I was able to do, while playing it and various builds, was see many locations on the world map, but I think this was when I updates an older saved game and ran it in the newer patch. I then noticed Dryford crossing is no longer there, nor are any of the other cities and keeps. I think something was bugged but I can't seem to reproduce it now. I deleted those saved games, and now wish I didn't.
Edited by Azmodiuz

Obsidian wrote:

Aha, in this patch when you first start the game Dyrford Crossing is not accessible and trying to move to out of Dyrford village causes problems or.  Hokay I am not explaining this well.  What I did was get the egg quest so that Dyrford Crossing becomes available.  This worked for me.

nakia_banner.jpg

I have the egg quest, AND actually already got the egg. You can see it in my save game if you like. 

I also noticed that depending on the transitioning points I take from Dryford wilderness to the town, I will end up unmovable in a different location. But it follows a direction.

If I move and transition one spot more south on the map, I will end up one more spot east on the town's map, its goes clockwise, and proportional.

Obsidian wrote:

After having problems with my first game I started a new one and didn't leave the village until I had the Crossing on the map.  Thus I had no problem.

Have you sent the game and output log to the devs?  I didn't do that and don't know if anyone else has.  It would be a good idea I think.

nakia_banner.jpg

I found out how to type some stuff into the game console, and then I found out how to transport myself to anywehre i want.

to get inside the inn, I type this : AreaTransition 2 1

This pretty much helps me get away from any bugs I have been getting on area transitions. 

I also think having 6 party members bugs the game some how. 

Obsidian wrote:

Guest Matt Sheets

For each Backer Beta build, you'll need to start a new save.  Using old saves can/will break the game.

We're aware of an issue where you are unable to transition after dismissing one of the starting BB characters.  If you want to create your own party, you'll need to kill the BB character and then recruit an adventurer.

• Like 1

For each Backer Beta build, you'll need to start a new save.  Using old saves can/will break the game.

We're aware of an issue where you are unable to transition after dismissing one of the starting BB characters.  If you want to create your own party, you'll need to kill the BB character and then recruit an adventurer.

I assume you are working on fixing this.  Outside of Anomen it is against my principles to kill off party members.   :no:

nakia_banner.jpg

Well, I recruited to the 6th character slot, instead of killing one of the five off. The sixth does however overlap with the HUD in the UI and cause other concerns and issues.

Obsidian wrote:

click on these photo's to see how this games look scales with higher resolutions and graphic settings.. It is my opinion that something needs to be done to help this, because it takes away from the game. It looks okay on a 1080p laptop screen, but going higher it starts to get ugly. especially if you use something 50-60 inches thats 4k. Then its retarded stupid how ugly the game looks. I dont know other new titles that do this. Wasteland 2 doesn't do this, it actually scales pretty well graphic wise along with all character actors and walkable mesh.

issue_1.jpg the grass looks like 8-bit theatre meets 4k resolution
issue_2.jpg the models semi disapear behind very bad grass graphics here

issue_3.jpg the grass overlapping the feet

issue_4.jpg the table and lamp look like 16bit graphics from super nintendo rpg's

issue_5.jpg its immersion killing, to constantly see a HUGE difference between the characters and the environment , not to mention everything in the background looks greyish and fake and ghostly and unbelievable.

issue_6.jpg compared to how sharp the character is, even the fireplace looks dull and less bright then a character.

issue_7.jpg characters seem to float with no transition on steps or any shadows included

issue_lol_8.jpg this should be noticeable to many, how the character seems to scale with graphics well, and then the background just looks horrible in comparison. This is RIGHT at the corner of the bridge infront of the windmill.

These graphics on highest possible settings make the game look WORSE not better. There needs to be a higher resolution background, or people playing at anything 4K or higher are going to be affected by bleak greyish shadowy backgrounds. It reminds me of playing FF games on nintendo consoles, where the characters were drawn neatly and were placed on very generic backgrounds. 

Edited by Azmodiuz

Obsidian wrote:

@Azmodius Wasteland 2 has a 3D world rendered in real time, so they will scale better as you zoom in. P:E's backgrounds are pre-rendered. If you zoom past actual pixels, of course they're going to look mushy. I.e. this game is not going to look its best on 4K, unless you zoom out. IIRC the highest resolution they targeted was 2560x1440.

(Also there is no way they're going to change that this late in the process. For the sequel, perhaps, if there is one.)

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

But the thing is, the background only really needs a higher resolution.  Surely they can do that, no ?

I wish to know if what we got , as beta testers was simply the lowresolution version. I played the game at 1080, and its the same effect, only the characters now as less detailed compared to the background, thats the only difference. 

Obsidian wrote:

But the thing is, the background only really needs a higher resolution.  Surely they can do that, no ?

I wish to know if what we got , as beta testers was simply the lowresolution version. I played the game at 1080, and its the same effect, only the characters now as less detailed compared to the background, thats the only difference. 

It's a big "only." With the current resolution, the game is likely going to weigh in at around 25 GB. If it was rendered for 4K, that'd be closer to 100 GB. That's a hella big download, even if they have the computer time to render the damn things.

It was discussed before, anyway, and they said it's not going to happen. So you unfortunate folks with 4K monitors and rigs powerful enough to run stuff on them at full resolution will just have to cry yourself to sleep over this one. :not envious at all:

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

The background, sometimes looks like something from 3-4 generations of games ago. And the game is not large at all right now, being only 1.8Gb is nothing to download. Give me this 25GB download so I can see if it has something that is even considered high resolution.

Obsidian wrote:

1.8 GB is the backer beta, which apparently represents about 5% of the content. The full game at this resolution is going to be about 25GB. That's not even the bottleneck, though, the problem is that rendering the damn things for 4K would take too long for their content production pipeline.

Anyway, you're wasting your time arguing this with me, I'm just relaying what Josh said. If you don't like it, take it up with him.

• Like 3