I am a backer, and have watched some videos... and good lord I want to play!!! I didn't get a Kick-starter level with demo access, but I see that I can add demo access to my account.

I was thinking about getting it... however I tend to be rather through in my game play, doing every side quest, exploring every map, etc as I play... if I get the demo do my save games carry over through the builds? What about release, am I going to need to start again? I don't mind playing a couple of times through, but just want to know what I am getting into before I jump.

And btw, the videos I have watched are great, the game looks amazing... oh how I miss games like this. :)

Well, first off it's a beta not an actual demo.

There's still stuff missing or broken and bugs occur as well.

Regarding your questions:

No, saves won't carry over to release and most of the time also not through builds.

That's because the beta is sort of a standalone. It's a cutout from PoE and won't later upgrade into the complete game on Steam.

Hm... but could the Backer Beta become a Demo? It's like hitting 2 flies with 1 stone, no? Because a demo is usually something that takes dev time away from the real development... and the Backer Beta is pretty much a Demo... no?

I would not release the BB, or anything closely based on it, as a demo. The learning curve is brutal. Go into it cold, and you'll find yourself choosing between, like, a hundred different things and then get roflstomped by coleoptera. I'm quite sure that would put off more people than it would attract, and most of the people it would attract would have bought it anyway.

It's not hard once you figure it out, mind, but I don't think many potential buyers would have the patience to do so. A demo would have to be a dedicated lower-level affair, perhaps something that gets you from level 1 to 3, tops.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I would not release the BB, or anything closely based on it, as a demo. The learning curve is brutal. Go into it cold, and you'll find yourself choosing between, like, a hundred different things and then get roflstomped by coleoptera. I'm quite sure that would put off more people than it would attract, and most of the people it would attract would have bought it anyway.

It's not hard once you figure it out, mind, but I don't think many potential buyers would have the patience to do so. A demo would have to be a dedicated lower-level affair, perhaps something that gets you from level 1 to 3, tops.

I agree. Best demo would be the very beginning right up to the point you get to the strange machine and [spoilerS] happen. Leaves you on a cliff-hanger, you get a basic idea for writing, for combat and the general feeling of the game.

• Like 2