What VFX do you feel are too obtrusive?

Starwars

This is one aspect that I felt IE games were a little lackluster with. So I am kinda glad with Pillars being a little over the top.

/facepalm
What? Functionality isn't the end all for everyone. Or do you think the BG series was over the top with animations? Because facepalm gives no details by itself. If you thinks its absurd or ridiculous at least say why.

this isn't diablo or torchlight or path of exile. the animations are meant to be useful first and foremost and to give a small graphical boost. over the top is not part of the IE experience nor is it old-school in design.

if you want over the top you might want to try those other games I mentioned.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

this isn't diablo or torchlight or path of exile. the animations are meant to be useful first and foremost and to give a small graphical boost. over the top is not part of the IE experience nor is it old-school in design.

if you want over the top you might want to try those other games I mentioned.

@Seari See this is a nice detailed response as opposed to "facepalm".   I disagree BG would have had similar effects if they had the same tools available and honestly they add to the fun and immersion instead of a spell being cast resulting in a few twinkles and no visual effect to the character hit by said spell... thats kind of lame.  Not trying to convince you since I am sure its an agree to disagree scenario.  Bottom line is the tools exist now to make it both visually appealing and functional so really it would be folly to ignore the visual simply because they didn't do it back in the day.  Its one of the benefits of doing a modern throwback is that you can add some "flare" to the vfx that wasn't an option at the time.

Over the unit's head wouldn't be a good idea, but they could do those in the enemy tooltip, sure. Just with smaller icons probably.

This ^ combined with more distinct status effect visuals would prob do the trick on making the status of characters and enemies more obvious and easier to understand at a glance.