[392] Party Manager Breaks Loading/Transitions

Sensuki

Question

This is not related to the beta itself, but the full game.

Bester had to adapt his mod to the new patch because of the new selection circle code, and he sent it to me before. I want to test out the new Engagement fixes with a party of Fighters, but I can't - because using the Party Manager breaks area transitions.

I assume this is related to the new 'fixes' to save/load/persistence. Because the party manager is not part of the beta, it didn't necessarily need to be fixed for the build to pass QA.

Since you guys have the full game, this issue may be present for you as well, and here's how to reproduce it

• Dismiss a party member
  • Try to exit an area
  • The game will not load the next area and throw a bunch of errors to the output_log
LEVEL UNLOAD INITIATED. Pending level = AR_0002_Dyrford_Tavern_01.

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)
Checking to instantiate global...

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)
Checking to instantiate in game global...

Instantiating in game global.

The file 'F:/Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta/PillarsOfEternity_Data/resources.assets' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
[Position out of bounds! 1433507920 > 1433507916]

(Filename:  Line: 273)
The file 'F:/Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta/PillarsOfEternity_Data/resources.assets' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
[Position out of bounds! 1433508656 > 1433508652]

[Position out of bounds! 1433509392 > 1433509388]

[Position out of bounds! 1433510128 > 1433510124]

The file 'F:/Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta/PillarsOfEternity_Data/sharedassets5.assets' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
[Position out of bounds! 52849224 > 52849220]

The file 'F:/Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta/PillarsOfEternity_Data/sharedassets6.assets' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
[Position out of bounds! 81171328 > 81171324]

The file 'F:/Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta/PillarsOfEternity_Data/sharedassets6.assets' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
[Position out of bounds! 81172064 > 81172060]

[Position out of bounds! 81172800 > 81172796]

[Position out of bounds! 1433510864 > 1433510860]

[Position out of bounds! 1433511600 > 1433511596]

[Position out of bounds! 1433512336 > 1433512332]

[Position out of bounds! 1433513072 > 1433513068]

[Position out of bounds! 1433513808 > 1433513804]

The file 'F:/Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta/PillarsOfEternity_Data/sharedassets13.assets' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
[Position out of bounds! 37982744 > 37982740]

The file 'F:/Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta/PillarsOfEternity_Data/sharedassets14.assets' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
[Position out of bounds! 32560944 > 32560940]

[Position out of bounds! 1433514548 > 1433514540]

A script behaviour has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 740 bytes but expected 732 bytes)
Did you #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR a section of your serialized properties in any of your scripts?

(Filename:  Line: 1170)

It also throws this one, which we believe is the save/load system still trying to save the textures of a dismissed character - but they're not there because the character has been dismissed

LEVEL UNLOAD INITIATED. Pending level = AR_0001_Dyrford_Village.

UnityEngine.UnityException: Texture 'male_elf_E_sm' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Texture2D:EncodeToPNG ()
  at StoredCharacterInfo.get_SerializedPortrait () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.Reflection.MonoProperty/Getter`2<StoredCharacterInfo, byte[]>:invoke_byte[]__this___StoredCharacterInfo (StoredCharacterInfo)
  at System.Reflection.MonoProperty.GetterAdapterFrame[StoredCharacterInfo,Byte[]] (System.Reflection.Getter`2 getter, System.Object obj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Reflection.MonoProperty.GetValue (System.Object obj, System.Object[] index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Persistence.SaveObject (.ObjectPersistencePacket packet) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at PersistenceManager.SaveObject (.Persistence persistence) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at PersistenceManager.SaveGame () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at GameState.ChangeLevel (.MapData map) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

18 answers to this question

Uh, just to clarify. It's got nothing to do with any mods, it appears on perfectly unmodded game.

You dismiss an NPC and then attempt to save game or to perform area transition, which results in a failed attempt to auto-save and this hangs the game.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

While I first tested this with Bester's mod, as Bester stated before, PartyManager now works in the console again in the default game, so here is a video with the pure default game showcasing the hang on transition. I validated my game on steam before making this video

Don't know if this is relatable but I went through something with that I have no idea what it was. Might've been Party Manager, or Adventurer's Hall companions. I got a Black Screen at the end of it.

1-Load save (Dracogen Inn)
2-Un-Equip All Gear on the BB Characters (Put in Stash or pile on 2-3 characters, sell the items to afford companions. But keep rings, belts, capes, helmets)
3-Kick two BB Characters //I kicked BB Fighter & BB Priest
4-Recruit 2 Level 3 AH Companions (I made 1 Aumaua Fighter & 1 Dwarf Ranger)
5-Kick the last 2 BB Characters
6-Recruit the last AH Companions //I made, in order, an Orlan Wizard, Human Nature Godlike Chanter, Barbarian Orlan
7-When the Barbarian was finished, the game didn't crash, but became a "Black Screen".

I could move around the mouse pointer during the "Black Screen", could get icons for "Talk", "Move" and I think "Interact" (hand) but everything was black except "Journal" which showed "Glossary, Notes, Journal, Quests" etc. at the top (only the words) with a black background. I could press "Escape" and hear the sound of the buttons, but when pressing any of them nothing could be done (but I'm pretty sure I was in a menu).

Here's the output_log. My Steam is acting up so I can't get any screenshots.

Note: I tried reproducing it using that save, but maybe one needs to start from the beginning. In that case (on PotD with Trial and Expert)
1-Talk to Medreth (Aggressive)
2-Talk to Bridge Troll Guard (Aggressive)
3-Talk to Rumbald (Aggressive)
4-Start recruiting/removing companions as explained above.

Might have something to do with it?

Guest Matt Sheets

Refrain from posting any bugs not is not on the base unmodded Backer Beta.

Dismissing a party member allows you to transition and Save/Load.  The only correct way to dismiss a party member in the Backer Beta is by recruiting more than 6 party members so the party management UI appears (or if you use the console command manageparty).

There is a console command manageparty, that unforunately made it into the Backer Beta and should not be used.  A lot of our console commands that you might see in the Backer Beta are not designed for the Backer Beta, so they won't function and could cause issues.

I verified that it is working in our full build, and that recruiting/dismissing party members when recruiting an adventurer with 6 party members is working correctly.

Let me know if you are accessing the party management on the unmodded Backer Beta without the console command or without recruiting a 7th party member, since that's the root of the bug.

Osvir, I'll have one of my testers look into what you're seeing.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers, I will use the recruit 7th party member way of doing it for testing, didn't know you could do that.

edit: and It still hangs for me doing it the normal way too (recruiting a 7th party member, then dismissing everyone).

Edited by Sensuki

The hang is when you dismiss a BB character. You can have the BB party and a 6th adventurer, and then hire an extra adventurer and dismiss the previous one, but if you dismiss any BB party member then the game will hang once you try and exit the inn.

Edited by Sensuki

Hello all,

Thank you for your help with this issue. We were able to reliably reproduce this bug in our latest build and it is now in our programmer's hands to be resolved. I will update the Known Issues list and add this issue with a link to the thread.

Thanks again for your support!

-N

Just to add to it.

I tried to create a party in the method described, by hiring a seventh adventurer. I made a rogue, dismissed BB Rogue, left and when I went back into the inn, it brought up the party management UI without my requesting it. BB Rogue was waiting in the wings, and everything looked fine.

I saved and loaded after that, while still in the inn. When I loaded, my new rogue was in the inn but not in the party, and BB Rogue was back in the party. When I went to manage the party (by pressing "P"), I saw a white box in the "waiting" section that when I hovered over it, said "BB Rogue", who was still in my party... which was weird. All I did with this screen was look at it, I didn't click on anything since this is known to result in transition problems.

So, I went and hired a seventh adventurer again. I was unable to remove BB Rogue from the party, and when I clicked on the white box (even while already having six party members), I was able to recruit a duplicate of BB Rogue. I now had two BB Rogues and not my new rogue, and when I left the tavern I encountered the transition issue.

Happens to me all the time. some times after a member is dead or maimed, when I load into an area, I'm stuck on some unwalkable mesh way further in some direction then i am supposed to be as well.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

I will let QA speak on this, but I don't think we are able to reproduce this in the base game or Backer Beta. They are investigating now.

They should be able to as I am using the vanila BB with nothing added or tweaked and have had the sane results as reported by Sensuki.   My computer probably falls in the moderate rang,  It is used primarily for gaming nothing unique or outstanding about it.  Much as many other "casual" players might use.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

For QA t duplicate this bug I suggest the following.

1) Do not use the dev build use the BB build given to us

2) Ask Dingler the bartender for an adventurer

3) Create a sixth character

4) Level him up

Save game

Now repeat this for an extra character

Exchange him with a party member

save the game.  Try to leave the inn.  

If you cannot leave the ginn exit game and reload you last save.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg