392 Discussion

Sensuki

I agree I found uses of the percentage rolls odd too but that boat has sailed more than likely.  If it is something they can just change on the fly without having to then rebalance the whole of combat then by all means go ahead.  Somehow I doubt it will be as easy as just dividing by 20.

It's something I am going to look into after the game is out, if I feel that damage still feels funny leading up to release. It shouldn't be too difficult but it will take time. Changing the Might bonus to an integer is baby stuff, but there's all sorts of item mods and various other things that would need adjusting too ... and then the whole thing would need rebalancing.

Was this swinginess less obcvios in previouse builds?

If so, why?

I believe there are now 2 problems

1) removed percentage daage reduction was mistake because it was really good and you can have more coherent damage results with it

2) after removing it damage was not adjusted to new system without percentage reduction

Why i think it was more consistent? because percentage nicely remove extremes. If 30% reduce 10 damage you got 7 - no big deal, but if it lower 100 its significant

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Someone made a suggestion in another thread a while back that Percentile damage reduction be the norm and that Damage Threshold be applied only to Shields, helmets, and magical devices (or something like that).  I liked that as the model, but Obsidian has decided to go in another direction.  Personally, I think it creates way too many problems the way DR works in 392

If so, why?

1) removed percentage daage reduction was mistake because it was really good and you can have more coherent damage results with it

2) after removing it damage was not adjusted to new system without percentage reduction

Why i think it was more consistent? because percentage nicely remove extremes. If 30% reduce 10 damage you got 7 - no big deal, but if it lower 100 its significant

the problems with the way critical hit work was talked about for months.

@morhilane A core issue IMO is that (1) accuracy is so crucial and (2) it's linked to a stat.

If they removed accuracy from the stat system and made it so you can only affect it via buffs and items, I believe a part of the problem would be solved.

Deflection and accuracy mitigate each others when it comes to the attributes and level increase (i.e. keep the to-hit window the same). Deflection is just as crucial as accuracy.

The problem is outside of stats, it is much more easier to increase accuracy and damage output than it is to increase defenses and mitigate damage via talents, abilities, spells, gear, etc. There is a few more talents now that increase deflection though, but gear is limited to shields (as far as I saw and they give you an accuracy decrease, while barely anything that grant more accuracy affect your deflection).

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

If so, why?

the problems with the way critical hit work was talked about for months.

Talked about by some perhaps but they werent an issue for most until the removal of percentile damage reduction from armor.