I'm not sure. It depends on how they built the modes currently in the game. They already did the work creating them, so it's possible that with all the tools already in place and all the previous design knowledge gained implementing another mode could be relatively easy. As I said, I'm honestly not sure. I don't possess the knowledge to make a sound judgement on the cost. I'm just saying, if it is feasible and reasonable, it sounds like a good idea.

I think we'll have to disagree on that. My opinion is that it would be a waste of time and resources to create. I've been a huge proponent for making the easier difficulties more accessible to the general public, but I think this is unnecessary. With the way the beta plays now the only people this game will alienate are the ones that don't really want to play a game and should instead invest in some audio books.

Well, they did try with Jesse Cox play through a few weeks back. Granted he only has 700,000 YouTube subscribers compared to TB's 1.8 million...

They are part of the same YouTube network (Polaris). Some viewers who come across Jesse, will also come across TB. Some catch on to Jesse, subscribe, see podcasts and are exposed to Dodger & TB + featuring guest. It would be really interesting to have Developers on the Co-Optional Podcast to be honest, like a Matt Chat interview, but more casual and talking about games moreso than what the particular Developer is developing.

Could be great PR too. But the podcast is mostly YouTubers, unfortunately (TB, Dodger & Jesse).

Jesse's video was also promotional, not part of his usual schedule or usual content. Many who are subscribed to Jesse watch on his channel, lots of viewers I think want "the usual stuff" from whatever they watch, and for whatever reason they watch. It's like flavors, say you are buying chocolate for the chocolate flavor, then you want it to taste like chocolate, and not vanilla.

Also, if I am not mistaken, it was Paradox/Obsidian that uploaded the videos to their YouTube channel. I am getting the feeling that Jesse might be doing a Let's Play of Pillars of Eternity when it's out though, and that'll grant more exposure too. It'd be awesome if TB did an impression video of Pillars of Eternity, but it's an RPG and he's known to not cover RPG's (they take a lot of time & energy to get a good understanding, and are riddled with spoilers in video content, and are very differing depending on who plays it).

@OP: 1) The contest could be community driven too, no? A reward will draw more attention, of course, and if Obsidian would be willing to compromise a "You get a deluxe version+a copy for your friend!", and/or if they get a box/physical reward one too many they could use that as a reward too. What I wanted to say was, Obsidian doesn't need to put any time into it if someone would make or attempt to make a contest seriously, and having asked for permission too of course.

I think also that stuff like Mod competitions can be included in this. "Competitions" in general can be entirely community driven without the company involved in spending time, but it is important that the competition gets Company Approval regardless, as that will promote the competition itself.

2) Don't particularly like.

3) YouTube, Let's Play, Impression, News Articles, Comments, Forums, Industry, there's tons of places that Pillars of Eternity will be discussed. Of course, we can boost this exposure ourselves by creating a thread on a different forum, discussing Pillars of Eternity. We can make YouTube videos, blogs, even mail other Companies saying "We like this type of games a lot!" etc.

4) Google Search & Tracking, Twitter, Social Media. Simply searching in www.google.com for "Pillars of Eternity" you'll add +1 in the search tracker. "1 more search". Refreshing (F5) or searching for it again adds +1 on the search tracker, but it'll know your IP. Might presumably boost exposure regardless. Twitter # is also exposure, and sharing on Facebook, Vine, Google Circle, Tumblr or whatever social media you use,

5) Metacritic & Steam Reviews: Controversial but giving the game a good/high User score in purpose of promoting a title will expose it a lot. We've seen some titles get demoted from Metacritic by having bad history (Fez, Depression Quest, Garry's Day One Incident, WarZ, The Slaughtering Grounds*). What I mean is that the community has "power" to influence scores and what others first impression will be in the future. Lots of reviews = lots of impressions = lots of exposure, no matter what.

I think it might be helpful even with lots of reviews in total as well, as it'll simply mean that a lot of people are talking about it and sharing their thoughts about it :) so reviews on Steam (and Metacritic) regardless of their score, the more there are the more exposure.

* All of these games had some sort of industry mishap/scandal of some form and the gaming community went after these products and gave them bad reviews in both Steam, Metacritic, in gaming forums and generally negative attitude versus these titles.

Edited by Osvir

Best marketing plan: Sell to EA.

Horrors!   And game pushed out unfinished and buggy.

I have a question.  I have friends that I think would love this game except they don't care for the isometric view point.  They like the FP and close up views how do I persuade them that will still be fun to play?

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

@Nakia

If you think they'd like it I assume they're into games like the dragon age series or similar games. I'd argue to them that this game is a spiritual successor to the games that eventually evolved into games like neverwinter nights and dragon age and the such (for better or worse). Isn't an homage to the 90's/00's games that gave rise to modern RPG's worth at least checking out?

I have a question.  I have friends that I think would love this game except they don't care for the isometric view point.  They like the FP and close up views how do I persuade them that will still be fun to play?

Remind them of that time they first encountered ice cream, and didn't want to try it because it looked funny. Then reference the taste of ice cream. Game... set... match.

Unless they're lactose intolerant. Then maybe go with something else. 8P

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

@Nakia

If you think they'd like it I assume they're into games like the dragon age series or similar games. I'd argue to them that this game is a spiritual successor to the games that eventually evolved into games like neverwinter nights and dragon age and the such (for better or worse). Isn't an homage to the 90's/00's games that gave rise to modern RPG's worth at least checking out?

Unfortunately although they have played DA:O, not sure about NWN they are more into the TES style games,   

Hmm..one likes interactive player houses and businesses.  For her maybe I should talk up the Stronghold.

I will keep working on them. 

• Like 1

nakia_banner.jpg

I think we'll have to disagree on that. My opinion is that it would be a waste of time and resources to create. I've been a huge proponent for making the easier difficulties more accessible to the general public, but I think this is unnecessary. With the way the beta plays now the only people this game will alienate are the ones that don't really want to play a game and should instead invest in some audio books.

Disagreement is totally legit. I'm just glad we're both capable of being reasonable about our opinions. On a side note, audio books are awesome.

• Like 2

6) Making Best of X (10, 5, 3 etc. etc.) RPG videos/lists/threads also helps promote. "Best Isometric PC RPG's", "Best cRPG's", "Best Kickstarter RPG's" and so on and forth, one can make a best of list about anything and get Pillars of Eternity in there I believe.

Edited by Osvir

Wow I'm honestly baffled. I'm sure you guys have the best intentions for Obsidian and their game but these ideas are just that, ideas. It is wishful thinking.

Review copies get sent out to press and increasingly to youtuber/twitch personalities. You haven't invented the wheel by wanting TB to review it. Maybe he will do it on behalf of GOG or maybe he was already a backer (eg. Wasteland 2). Exuberance is one thing; suspension of disbelief another.

Evidently none in this thread have ever undertaken a serious endeavor to run a contest.

I love being devil's advocate but you guys make it too easy.

6) Making Best of X (10, 5, 3 etc. etc.) RPG videos/lists/threads also helps promote. "Best Isometric PC RPG's", "Best cRPG's", "Best Kickstarter RPG's" and so on and forth, one can make a best of list about anything and get Pillars of Eternity in there I believe.

So, basically you want them to blatantly lie? Why not just pay the reviewers?

I'm being analytically objective, "What would help promote Pillars of Eternity & what can common folk do?". In the same vein as the topic title suggests ideas for promoting PoE. Doesn't mean you have to do it, nor do I, it's just one method of promoting it.

Review copies get sent out to press and increasingly to youtuber/twitch personalities. You haven't invented the wheel by wanting TB to review it. Maybe he will do it on behalf of GOG or maybe he was already a backer (eg. Wasteland 2). Exuberance is one thing; suspension of disbelief another.

Except, TB doesn't do reviews and he doesn't do "WTF is..." on RPG's either.

Edited by Osvir

It also gives us something fun to talk about while we wait for the game to come out.   It is harmless and there is also the possibility (maybe vague) that something worth while will come from it.

nakia_banner.jpg

I'm sure you guys have the best intentions for Obsidian and their game but these ideas are just that, ideas.

To take your own words, this is all it is :) nothing more, nothing less. If it helps? *shrug* If it doesn't? *shrug* it's just ideas!

Pillars of Eternity will most likely be "promoted"/"marketed" by itself regardless if we discuss here or not, one way or another. You might find yourself talking about it with friends (word-by-mouth) or on another forum, or on an article, or a YouTube comment etc. others might do it more actively, others more passively. We don't know.

EDIT: Quote is taken out of context because I wanted to put further emphasis.

Edited by Osvir

Best marketing plan: Sell to EA.

LMAO

:D

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Yes, we are all aware that we are not game developers with power and control, and the ability to do all the analysis, and that we are simply lowly peons discussing things on the Internet. I don't think anybody here really needs you to come in and tell us how useless and stupid the discussion is. I don't think that helps any.

• Like 1

Some people just want to take all the fun out of the Internet.  Without we would all still be living in trees.  PoE exists because someone had an idea.  

• Like 1

nakia_banner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...