NWN2. Stupid (?) question.

Yellow Rabbit

All right, I'm stuck. I've dug through every last one nwn community I know about, and Google already hisses at me wordlessly when it sees me going to ask about it again, but I've found nothing so far. Seriously, NOTHING!

So, what's this all about... Does anyone know/have the list of spell chants in nwn2? That damned verbal component, what chars are actually saying when casting a spell? I just can't make it out listening, and my curiosity is going to eat me alive. Nasty sharp-toothed thing.

P.S. Here's not a right place to post such questions, I know and apologize for that. But link to NWN2 General Discussion forums takes me to Bioware community board, which is kindly offering to log in through either Origin or Facebook, or register there in case I didn't yet. Thanks, but no thanks. Not today. Not ever.

You probably want to go to a D&D board and ask someone overly enthusiastic to be honest. If it's a lore thing and Wizards of the Coast came up with actual chants then Obsidian/Bioware (if carried over from the original) are probably detail oriented enough to have used them. Otherwise it's just gibberish and you should learn to let go, it could also be intended that the words aren't clear as they're more of a general sound effect than a line of dialogue.

Edited by Serrano

As a huge NWN2 fan, with thousands of hours on the game, I can tell you that they are a mix of gibberish with streaks of ancient Greek in it - even dollops of dog Latin too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg8238Rv1MM

Knowing a bit of Greek, I'd say NWN2 went more that route as opposed to BG/IWD's emphasis on Latin inspiration:

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes"

2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth"

3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without"

4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind"

5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare"

6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command"

7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth"

8) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me"

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 7

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

True. One thing is for sure, Obsidian seem to have removed their vocal incantations for PoE, which makes me a sad panda, if it's true. I was very much looking forward to these haughty spell utterings.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ayaED8GlQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_qeT0xNOEA

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

As a huge NWN2 fan, with thousands of hours on the game, I can tell you that they are a mix of gibberish with streaks of ancient Greek in it - even dollops of dog Latin too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg8238Rv1MM

Knowing a bit of Greek, I'd say NWN2 went more that route as opposed to BG/IWD's emphasis on Latin inspiration:

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes"

2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth"

3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without"

4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind"

5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare"

6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command"

7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth"

8) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me"

Indira you are a genius, do you know that   :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela