Indonesia: A Moderate, Peaceful Islamic Nation?

ktchong

I've heard about Indonesia so many times.  Muslims and Islam apologists in America and Europe --  President Obama, Reza Aslan and the Young Turk came to mind in particular -- love to hold up Indonesia as some shiny example of "moderate/peaceful Islamic nation" when people criticize Islam.  Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwzF4uW0uTU

Edited by ktchong

I don't know why exactly... but I just have a feeling this thread won't survive to page 2.

I might be wrong.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ok. I'll take the bait.

- Indonesia is a thousand+ island archipelago consisting of hundreds of languages and dozens of ethnic groups and religions of which Islam is the dominant religion.

- This one, particular region (Aceh) is/was under dispute and the usage of heavy handed tactics by both the central government and rebel factions have led to a very precarious situation which was ripe for exploitation by fundamentalist elements. 

You can't use Aceh as a valid representative for the rest of Indonesia, which happens to be the fourth largest country (by population) in the world.

There's a ton of things wrong with Indonesia; corrupt government, wide stratification between rich and poor, terrible infrastructure, etc.,..but Indonesians are generally very moderate and a significant percentage of that are muslim in name only. I know this from first hand experience having lived there for five years. And believe me, I definitely stood out in the crowd.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Ok. I'll take the bait.

There's really no point in arguing with someone who uses the terms "Muslims and Islam apologists" and defends people who criticize Islam in the manners commonly done in the western media.

The level of ignorance and stupidity such a person is exhibiting is the same as someone who judges people based on the color of their skin. Granted, many millions of people have been brainwashed to think this way, and some of them are on this forum, but just because it's a popular view doesn't make it an intelligent one or one that isn't steeped in bigotry.

• Like 1