Risky Decision: Should The Up-close Models or Portraits be Used During Character Creation, etc.?

The models up-close during character creation do not look good to me, much like Wastland 2.  Should they take the flak for keeping them in, being criticized more for poor character graphics (even though on the map--farther away--they look fine) or should they just have your portrait there during character creation?

I would vote the latter, because I really do think seeing your hero models up-close will make reviewers criticize or belittle the graphics much more frequently.

And man....custom portraits look so damn cool, am I right guys

• Like 2

So they could throw an in-game preview box as well, which would have the model at a distance so they would see how they look in the game, but it would still be far away enough to veil the non-AAA quality.  I really think both the Wasteland 2 and PoE models are a huge turnoff for me

I don't understand why they're such a huge problem for some people. They don't look any worse than the 2D (models) of olden times. I mean, I don't think they look "bad" at all. I realize, though, that on a technical scale of 1-10, they are not the most gorgeous models ever created.

Also, the PoE ones look a lot better than the Wasteland 2 ones, even.

Ideally, they'd all be 100% as detailed as possible, but I realize why they aren't. And I don't think they look bad enough to impair my gameplay experience in any way. They're plenty detailed enough for me to imagine they're my characters and such.

But, I don't see the point in going through the trouble of showing just some custom portraits, THEN still showing the character models, but from farther out. Might as well just leave the up-close view.

Also, I think they're still improving them, for what it's worth. I know we got some much better-looking heads in a recent build.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The models look great to me - and I want them in close-up for the character-creation portion.

They don't look uber-poly-HD-realistic, but then they're not doing that job.

(not the first thread on this topic so I'll leave it there)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

So they could throw an in-game preview box as well, which would have the model at a distance so they would see how they look in the game, but it would still be far away enough to veil the non-AAA quality.  I really think both the Wasteland 2 and PoE models are a huge turnoff for me

I don't understand why they're such a huge problem for some people. They don't look any worse than the 2D (models) of olden times. I mean, I don't think they look "bad" at all. I realize, though, that on a technical scale of 1-10, they are not the most gorgeous models ever created.

Also, the PoE ones look a lot better than the Wasteland 2 ones, even.

Ideally, they'd all be 100% as detailed as possible, but I realize why they aren't. And I don't think they look bad enough to impair my gameplay experience in any way. They're plenty detailed enough for me to imagine they're my characters and such.

But, I don't see the point in going through the trouble of showing just some custom portraits, THEN still showing the character models, but from farther out. Might as well just leave the up-close view.

Also, I think they're still improving them, for what it's worth. I know we got some much better-looking heads in a recent build.

2d ones were better.

We need either crysis level graphics for every game or something completely different like alot of 2d graphics. Both will happen in the future at the same time.

Maybe they could put up one of those hanging tab things like they have for race and class and background showing your portrait small like, but you would have to choose it first not last then. That way you would still have the character model in the centre, you would still have room for ability descriptions and people could look at their portrait after choosing it. 

It would be small but you would know what the big one looks like and you could flip back and look at it.

If I was involved in the creation of the PoE character models I'd be crying in a corner right now. Close up they are an order of magnitude better than W2 

Free games updated 3/4/21

2d ones were better.

I'm not knocking 2D graphics in general, and I'm not even knocking the old IE character sprites (because they were quite good for their time, and it's not their fault they had such technical limitations), but, the PoE models can convey a plethora more visual information and detail about your character and their equipment than the old IE sprites. On that one scale of things, that's better. I can't say that makes them aesthetically superior or anything, but, anyone suggesting we need Crysis-level models because these current ones aren't good enough would've been bleeding out their eyes trying to play the IE games, where your chainmail consisted of about 15 pixels.

The thing is... 3D or 2D, it's all displayed on an XY plane (your monitor). So, in a lot of ways, it doesn't much matter when it comes to comparing fidelity/detail.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The character close ups have improved from the first betas. However, they still are lit in a very flat way - lighting is one of the main components of an appealing presentation of a 3d model. Also, some supersample anti-aliasing would work wonders with these shimmering chain mail textures etc... ;)

• Like 1

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

The models are fine. We don't need life-like Kevin Spacey's in this game. Folks that are expecting AAA title graphics for character models are not being realistic. I'll admit they could use some polish still, but they are exactly what I was expecting. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned they still need to do a visual pass-over, and this is very low on my list of concerns versus things such as balance, bug-fixing, skill and attribute optimization, engagement and AI fixes, etc.

The models look fine to me.  This is an isometric game not a Skyrim FP game.  The models are there just to give you a feel for your character and what he/she is wearing.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind the character model but I don't get why it has to cover 50% of the screen for the entire character creation AND the level up part. They should only bring the model when you have to customize it and for the level up segment, they should use the portrait only. Use the space left for descriptions, icons, stats etc.

• Like 1