Concern over Unity engine...

Hello, I have been a very long time Black Isle\Obsidian fan, and have been following PoE since the first information has been released about it.  But I'm worried about something.  I have two computers, both which refuse to play Shadowrun Returns, Space Hulk, and Wasteland 2.  They either immediately crash to desktop with a "Opps the game crashed" message, or shortly after the first couple of developer splash screens.  After researching for hours every month or two, I have tried everything to get these games to run, such as searching for corrupted fonts, etc.  The games just refuse to run.  I was able to get Shadowrun to run for several months last summer, but after a patch this problem surfaced.

This is incredibly frustrating and gives me anxiety that I will not be able to play PoE or Numenara when they are released.  I specifically created my account just now to ask if anyone can help alleviate some of the doubt I'm having about the engine.

I didn't really got what you expect to hear, sorry.

Games you've listed have relatively stable builds, so the problem ought to be in your os or/and hardware. It would help a little if you posted those. PoE and TToN are built on the same engine, so there's fair chance they won't run as well if your pc doesn't like Unity that much. Doubts about that cannot be alleviated in any way until games are out.

Haven't you tried to contact support of, say, inXile regarding Wl2 crashes? They'd ask to send them game logs and give you a number of typical issues' solutions, maybe even a few not so typical. At least they should have more chance to succeed in figuring out what the problem is exactly rather than fumbling and guessing we can do here :p

• Like 1

Yellow Rabbit is exactly right.

The problem, more likely than not, is on your end. You may just have something as simple as a setting on your computer that isn't right preventing you from playing. Hopefully tech support can help you weed out where the problem is- if tech support can't help you then coming back to the forums with more specific info might yield some results.

Hello, I have been a very long time Black Isle\Obsidian fan, and have been following PoE since the first information has been released about it.  But I'm worried about something.  I have two computers, both which refuse to play Shadowrun Returns, Space Hulk, and Wasteland 2.  They either immediately crash to desktop with a "Opps the game crashed" message, or shortly after the first couple of developer splash screens.  After researching for hours every month or two, I have tried everything to get these games to run, such as searching for corrupted fonts, etc.  The games just refuse to run.  I was able to get Shadowrun to run for several months last summer, but after a patch this problem surfaced.

This is incredibly frustrating and gives me anxiety that I will not be able to play PoE or Numenara when they are released.  I specifically created my account just now to ask if anyone can help alleviate some of the doubt I'm having about the engine.

If you are on Steam, go to the Steam community forums for those games and look up your issue. I've often found what caused my PC related problems.

Second option, google it.

Third, get in touch with the developers on their forums and ask for help on those community forums.

Otherwise, there is nothing we can do for you. I can't troubleshoot your PC nor do I want to. Unlike consoles, every PC can be optimized and built differently, thus creating a multitude of errors or issues on the client end. Good luck but don't expect Obsidian to know the answer.

Much more info is needed in order to even begin to help you.

Just about "concern over the engine" and as an afterthought coming from my very limited experience with Unity.

This engine suffers a lot from its own universalism regarding both platforms and types of games built on it. Jack of all trades usually is master of none. That's totally okay for projects of small and middle size (especially if scripter's hands grow from where they should), but with a big and complex project programmers most likely will have to dig through engine's guts adjusting it to meet their purposes more precisely and throwing out stuff they don't need in the sake of optimization. In my book after such surgeries engine doesn't have full right to be called Unity anymore. But what I wanted to say is that predicting engine's behavior after its adjusting is immpossible without full list of cruel things done to it. That's something only devs know, so... *shrug* Concern seems to be misplaced.

All I need to know is: will it run on my crappy old computer from 2007, with a video card from 2010 in it?

It should. Maybe. Answer is vague, but without at least hardware configuration it's the only one that can be given.

I, for one, played WL2 comfortably enough on my laptop straight from 2009, and PoE's going to be less greedy on resoursces. So... it should, yeah.

Thanks everyone for the replies.  As for everyones suggestion to talk to tech support, I have numerous times.  I wasn't asking for tech support; rather I'm wondering if anyone had knowledge about the subject.  Other people have this issue; it isn't a unique case.  There is some theory that its related to Windows update itself releasing something corrupted that messes with the engine.  I can only hope that the problem will have been addressed when PoE releases.

Thanks everyone for the replies.  As for everyones suggestion to talk to tech support, I have numerous times.  I wasn't asking for tech support; rather I'm wondering if anyone had knowledge about the subject.  Other people have this issue; it isn't a unique case.  There is some theory that its related to Windows update itself releasing something corrupted that messes with the engine.  I can only hope that the problem will have been addressed when PoE releases.

If that's the case everything would work fine if you just re-install Windows. You didn't even tell which version you are using.

With Windows 8.x (don't remember if this already existed in 7, 'twas too long ago) it's easy to check if there are no significant problems within your installation. Just run a

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

and after this says everything is fine, maybe do a

sfc /scannow

as well. If any of this shows any errors it's time to fix those or reinstall.

^ Yeah, you could also run an error-checking scan on your hard drive/OS partition. It's not likely that that's the issue, but... you never know. It's good to run on every so often, anyway (like maybe annually).

Go into "Computer" (For Win 7... In XP, it'll be "My Computer"), where it shows all your drives (hard disk and CD/DVD, etc.), and right-click on "C:" (it's usually C:, unless you specified otherwise when Windows was installed), and choose Properties. Click on the "Tools" tab, and you should see Error-Checking there at the top. Choose "Check Now," and you'll be prompted with two options. You can pretty much just check both of them, if you haven't run one of those scans in a while (or ever), then start the scan. Only, it's going to say something along the lines of "Windows can't star the scan right now 'cause Windows is running. Do you wish to schedule the scan at the next reboot?". Choose yes, then restart at your leisure. The scan typically takes about 2-3 hours, but it depends on how much stuff you've got on your hard drive.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

You need to run one or more of those games and write down the error, exactly as it appears for us to help you. Without that, we don't have even a starting point as there are dozens of things that can cause CTDs.

Next, click Start -> Run, type CMD and a DOS box will appear. Type this and send the result:

systeminfo | findstr /C:"OS"

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.