[Assorted Suggestions & Musings] Talents

Shevek

Perceived Area of Concern:

Currently, I find that some talents seem quite good and and others seem somewhat lackluster. Everything is fine up to about level 8 or so. Then all the good ones are used up and I find myself picking from a set of talents that I don't find very appealing.

Solution A:

To address this, one suggestion I have is combining many of the less attractive talents. Here are some examples:

[Graceful Retreat]+[Fast Runner]

Combining these two will make the talent useful for more than just engagement but also more useful for disengagement (less situational). It still is not an overpowered talent but it would be more attractive. I can see players selecting this.

[Arms Bearer]+[Quick Switch]

Even with these combined, I am not sure how many players would select this talent. Still, combining the two would make the talent more attractive and they fit together thematically.

[Deep Pockets]+[Potion Use]

Potion use is pretty good but deep pockets is not something I would ever pick. I think this would make the talent more attractive.

[Marksman]+[Close Shooter]

It doesnt seem right to have ranged builds have to expend two talents to be good at distant and close ranges (especially if they have to get the reload talent too). This is less a suggestion of talent attractiveness than the other suggestions though.

Solution B:

Another suggestion I have is to add in more talents that improve specific class abilities - especially modals (since they are active all the time). For example, what about talents to improve Guardian Stance and Zealous Endurance? Also, what about talents to make other modal talents better? Like, Improved Cautious/Savage Attack? These can be simple numbers tweaks or add new functionality. I can see something like Improved Penetrating Shot added a pierce chance on projectiles. 

Solution C:

Have talents that give extra uses of abilities make the abilities better. This is basically about Bonus Knockdown for me. So, instead of just adding one more use, how about one more use AND having it cast faster or last longer or something.

Musings:

• I do not find the extra spell talents very good. I actually feel like its a waste to get a bonus level 1 spell. I mean, thats a wasted talent. Not sure what can be done about those. 
  • The bonus dmg versus enemy types seem too specific/situational since you can't benefit from that in most encounters. Like, this is different from the bonus elemental dmg talents since you can build for frost and do that all the time. It seems like thats a hold over from the whole ranger favored enemy thing from DnD.
Edited by Shevek
  • Like 3

Agreed, I was pondering myself if I should create a thread for this sometime.

While some talents are fine others just feel less satisfying. It's hard to put in words and harder to verify without some before/after number crunching but some picks seem hard to notice after level up. Maybe modern games just spoiled me with instant gratification, though.

In any case, I'd like to ask the devs to take another look and make some of them more impactful.

I especially like the idea of improved upgrades for existing talents i.e. Frenzy--> Greater Frenzy.

Otherwise right of the top of my head, I'd advise to change [Two Handed Style]. Who would waste a talent on this when a single ring gives double the Defl. Bonus?

And even though it's a trait and not a talent I think the Death Godlike would gain a lot if his damage boost from Deaths Usher was incremental like the Moon Godlike's.

• Like 2

Good points guys. All of us agree some talents need attention.

Two-handed Style is really bad, as are bonus spell uses at low-lv spells. Ranged style talents need more flavor.

*suggestions:

-two-handed can give bonus dmg % OR faster recovery time

-bonus spell talents can give 2 uses instead, for low-lv spells(Lv 1-2) but I don't know the extend of usefulness since low-lv become at-will powers at higher lvls (right..? I remember Kickstarter Updates saying so)

So it would best if Bonus Spell Use Talents be merged with other Spellcaster Talent.

-Close Shooter can give some DT penetration, Marksman can *slow* enemy for a brief time on successful hit.

In general, @Obsidian people plz review the talents and possibly add more. The more the merrier :p

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

*Suggestion*

for Talents that give bonus dmg against enemy type

-said talent also gives +5 accuracy vs enemy type

Also, need a specification: bonus dmg applies to psysical dmg only or also to magic/elemental dmg ?

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

*Suggestion*

-Penetrating Shot can be merged with Close Shooter. Closer Shooter x1.1 dmg increase is very minor to be a stand-alone talent.

-Spellcaster Talents that grant 1 extra spell use don't seem to fit well with other talents to be merged with, so it would be best they get an additional benefit, like:

+5 accuracy on spells of that lv

• Like 1

Suggestions on Barbarian:

*Wild Sprint*

-20 Deflection Penalty is too harsh (so that makes the ability not worth using), should be reduced to -10.

Also the talent 'Powerful Sprint' should give the added benefit of never the Barbarian be interrupted *while moving*. Then it can be successful in what it tries to do and will be more appealing to pick.

*Brute Force*

The benefit of the ability does not fit well with its name, but more importantly, without meta-game knowledge, it is a gamble for the player, not knowing how often and at what extend will this ability prove useful.

If changed it could be anything from a 3% dmg bonus (as much as 1 point of Might gives) to a hit to crit conversion percentage (5%).

-I like Brute Force as-is to be honest. Its not a gamble anymore since it uses best of (deflection or fort).

-I dont think the issue with the enemy specific damage talents is the size of their bonus (its already high). They dont really need accuracy tacked on. Its just that they are so situational. I can see this being something the ranger selects on creation (favored enemy!) but not as a talent. Also, I think they should be mutually exclusive. So you pick one and the others become unselectable.

What if, along the lines of favored-enemy-esque talents, you had talents that let you passively boost your character's effectiveness versus armor types? You could make a Ranger that ignores more DT versus Heavy armor, or ignores DR (whichever). Or you could focus on Light Armor, etc. That could be interesting. *shrug*

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Ideas for New Talents:

*Melee*

-Momentum Blow

When running more than 10m towards enemy with the intention to attack them, you get an instant free attack against them with your equipped weapon, in addition to your normal attack. Your normal attack resolves immediately after the free attack.

-Riposte

You counter-attack 50% of the time with your equipped weapon when your attacker misses.

*Spellcasting*

-Co-operative Casting

When you are next or very close [specify range] to another wizard/priest/druid and you are both casting, the spells gain +5 acc bonus and a +10% to their damage/duration.

Edited by constantine