Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Gorth

I'm going to at least partially agree with Bruce here.  What Blocker List Lady did here is exhibit an astounding level of ignorance and stupidity, but I don't sense any malice.  If she happens to live in an area where this is against the law, then she should be prosecuted accordingly.  If animal rights folks want to go after her and/or if someone wants to pass this along to the ASPCA (or appropriate group in whatever area she lives), that's their choice and their right.  Otherwise, I'm going to put a check mark in the Imbecile column under her name (it's not the first check mark in that column) and move on.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Just for clarity, I was never saying I sense intentional malice, I just meant that there is a level of such irresponsible ignorance that yes, you should scream at a person just as hard as you would were they to commit a "crime" intentionally.

Likewise, I found some discussions on the issues with putting dye on animals and found some people swearing there are safe dyes. This still bothered me and I asked myself why, then I got my answer:

How many of you have, perhaps for Halloween or something, seen some ridiculous little costume for a cat or dog, bought it thinking it would be hilarious, and sure enough when you got home and put the costume on your dog, you laughed.

...For about two minutes. After that good worthwhile laugh, it became clear the animal hated it, at which point your "Hahahaha" turned into an "awwww" and you wanted to take it off for them. It's the same sort of attitude you see exhibited here by Andy Richter:

Andy Richter compulsively pulls the wigs off those puppies every single time they do that skit, and if you'll read the comments you'll see he has a lot of fans just for doing so.

What disturbs me about applying dye to a dog is that level of empathy is completely and utterly non-existent.

This is a person who, in that very same analogy, basically exhibits an attitude where they do NOT ever realize their dog hates the dorky costume and removes it. This is a person who views their dog as though it were a piece of furniture they are free to decorate however they please; a person who would bother to go through the rather lengthy process of applying the dye and not once realize or think "hey my dog ****ing hates this, I should probably stop."

That's what ticks me off the most about this. Maybe some of you have heard that even if you yourself loathe animals, violence against animals is not to be taken lightly because people that act violently towards animals often go on to be violence towards other people. I would be willing to bet the very same applies here: a lack of empathy for an animal can develop into a lack of empathy for other human beings.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

"You seem to be missing point, we all should agree it was stupid thing to do"

You seem to be missing the point.

"But she dyed her dog out of  a misplaced sense of affection. She wanted her dog to look like her, she wanted them to be even closer"

I adopted a black girl. I wanted her to look like me so I put her through multiple surgeries to lighten her skin and give her a ****. I did this out of affection. I wanted my adopted child to look like me. I wanted to be even closer. YOU SEE HOW DUMB THAT IS?

"It wasn't malicious so I question the level of abuse you can sincerely level at her ?"

Malicious or not, it's nazism to the core. Trying to control, bully, intimidate, and humilate  a living creature for your own amusement, power, and satisfactuion.

EVIL.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

A person who dyes their pet could potentially be a total moron instead of someone who simply doesn't give a crap about its feelings, but when that person doesn't quickly acknowledge that the animal clearly disapproves and continues dying it, and the dog looks as unhappy and violated as the dog in her pictures, all doubt is removed. Secondly, if you want you and your pet to look more alike, how about you drop your godforsaken rainbowhairing instead of covering your dog in dye?

• Like 1

One of the first things I learned as a dog owner(this is when I was a wee lad) was that you shouldn't dye the hair of animals because that can interfere with the hair's normal functions. If you've ever felt dyed hair, you know that it feels a lot different than normal hair, imagine having your entire body feel that way. What pisses me off as a dog owner is that she's done this several times and hasn't stopped doing it despite the animal being clearly uncomfortable or the prevailing opinion being that it's a cruel thing to do.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah, that's the main thing. The dog looks absolutely miserable. Even if the dye itself caused no issues.. shouldn't you want your animal be happy? That dog looks like it wants to die. :(

.. that the animal clearly disapproves and continues dying it, and the dog looks as unhappy and violated as the dog in her pictures ..

While she is an idiot for dyeing the dog I do have to say that every single time I have had a dog sitting in a bath tub it has always looked 'unhappy and violated'. Doesn't mean it ain't going to get washed though, if it needs it.

Washing and dyeing are NOT the same thing. One is needed to keep clean and help them remain safe from germs and other illnesses. One is for fun. I'll let you figure out which is which.

One of the first things I learned as a dog owner(this is when I was a wee lad) was that you shouldn't dye the hair of animals because that can interfere with the hair's normal functions. If you've ever felt dyed hair, you know that it feels a lot different than normal hair, imagine having your entire body feel that way. What pisses me off as a dog owner is that she's done this several times and hasn't stopped doing it despite the animal being clearly uncomfortable or the prevailing opinion being that it's a cruel thing to do.

She's done this multiple times?  I didn't know that.  That changes things.  One time I can pass off as a supremely stupid mistake, lesson learned, never do that again.  If she's dyed the dog again and again and again then she clearly does not have empathy for her animal and, in my opinion, this crosses the line from simple stupidity to animal cruelty. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

She's done this multiple times?  I didn't know that.  That changes things.  One time I can pass off as a supremely stupid mistake, lesson learned, never do that again.  If she's dyed the dog again and again and again then she clearly does not have empathy for her animal and, in my opinion, this crosses the line from simple stupidity to animal cruelty.

In the first img Messhugger posted it's highlighted where she says "it isn't the first time". As a dog owner, it makes me sick that someone would put a pet through that.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

.. that the animal clearly disapproves and continues dying it, and the dog looks as unhappy and violated as the dog in her pictures ..

While she is an idiot for dyeing the dog I do have to say that every single time I have had a dog sitting in a bath tub it has always looked 'unhappy and violated'. Doesn't mean it ain't going to get washed though, if it needs it.

A bath is a bit more necessary than a dye, while I'll give you that point; that sometimes it's necessary to go through crap you don't want in life, being forcibly dyed isn't one of them.

To be fair I guess she does claim the reason the dog looks upset in the photo outside the bathtub is that she's leaving the house (didn't see that comment the first time looking at it), so we don't really have 100% proof the dog would've preferred just being washed instead of being dyed, I'm still personally going to assume that's the case though.

Weird things that people feel compelled to share online

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Weird things that people feel compelled to share online

Yknow I'm not afraid to mention any part of my life and I'll often cite real life experiences as backround to some points....

But I do not understand facebook, tumblr or twitter. Those three just seem incredibly self-centered to me as the goal in common usage (not neccesarily for everyone but typically the case) is to talk about yourself. So yeah while you'll find plenty of normal convos on all three, you also find plenty of people announcing every single thing they do ever.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

• Like 1

A bath is a bit more necessary than a dye, while I'll give you that point; that sometimes it's necessary to go through crap you don't want in life, being forcibly dyed isn't one of them.

Point really was that dogs tend to look sad and depressed whenever things don't go their way and that isn't really indicative. No biscuit? Sad. Won't let me in? Sad. Bath? Sad. Upcoming bath? Sad. Walk? Tired; sad. No walk? Energetic; sad.

Dyeing the dog's hair is stupid, but it would still be stupid even if the dog were running around frolicking like it was a pet food advert, or was a poodle off to a show.

Just for clarity, I was never saying I sense intentional malice, I just meant that there is a level of such irresponsible ignorance that yes, you should scream at a person just as hard as you would were they to commit a "crime" intentionally.

Likewise, I found some discussions on the issues with putting dye on animals and found some people swearing there are safe dyes. This still bothered me and I asked myself why, then I got my answer:

How many of you have, perhaps for Halloween or something, seen some ridiculous little costume for a cat or dog, bought it thinking it would be hilarious, and sure enough when you got home and put the costume on your dog, you laughed.

...For about two minutes. After that good worthwhile laugh, it became clear the animal hated it, at which point your "Hahahaha" turned into an "awwww" and you wanted to take it off for them. It's the same sort of attitude you see exhibited here by Andy Richter:

Andy Richter compulsively pulls the wigs off those puppies every single time they do that skit, and if you'll read the comments you'll see he has a lot of fans just for doing so.

What disturbs me about applying dye to a dog is that level of empathy is completely and utterly non-existent.

This is a person who, in that very same analogy, basically exhibits an attitude where they do NOT ever realize their dog hates the dorky costume and removes it. This is a person who views their dog as though it were a piece of furniture they are free to decorate however they please; a person who would bother to go through the rather lengthy process of applying the dye and not once realize or think "hey my dog ****ing hates this, I should probably stop."

That's what ticks me off the most about this. Maybe some of you have heard that even if you yourself loathe animals, violence against animals is not to be taken lightly because people that act violently towards animals often go on to be violence towards other people. I would be willing to bet the very same applies here: a lack of empathy for an animal can develop into a lack of empathy for other human beings.

I would go further.

A lack of empathy for kind, loving creatures that are innocent of any crime and are incapable of proper defense is WORSE than a crime against an adult human.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

The reality is we don't know if anyone ever said to her " this is cruel to do this to an animal" . People might have said how cute her dog was and respected how close she was to it. So its quite possible she was unaware what she was really doing

My point is just because she did something multiple times there is no evidence to believe she knew she was abusing her dog

It reminds of people who use fireworks during events, like Guy Fawkes. In South Africa this always upsets and terrifies pets yet despite this every single year people use fireworks. If you have to ask these people " are you aware that you are contributing towards abuse of animals " they will deny it or be surprised because there usage of fireworks is often cultural, like the Indian festival of Diwali, so they won't believe its abuse of animals

So at times the words " abuse of animals  " can be subjective 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

As a fellow dog owner I agree 100%

Dogs are man's best friend and living, feeling creatures. One should treat them with respect, not as fashion accessories.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

The reality is we don't know if anyone ever said to her " this is cruel to do this to an animal" . People might have said how cute her dog was and respected how close she was to it. So its quite possible she was unaware what she was really doing

My point is just because she did something multiple times there is no evidence to believe she knew she was abusing her dog

It reminds of people who use fireworks during events, like Guy Fawkes. In South Africa this always upsets and terrifies pets yet despite this every single year people use fireworks. If you have to ask these people " are you aware that you are contributing towards abuse of animals " they will deny it or be surprised because there usage of fireworks is often cultural, like the Indian festival of Diwali, so they won't believe its abuse of animals

Yeah...  This sounds like you're grasping at straws in her defense.  While what you suggest isn't completely implausible, sorry, I'm not giving her the benefit of the doubt.  If she made that mistake once, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.  If she's done it multiple times, then sorry, she doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me, I'm making the assumption that she's an animal abuser.

In either case, the correct course of action seems the same to me.  The dog should be taken away from her and she should not be allowed to own a pet.  Whether it's through willful abuse or an astonishing level of ignorance, she's abused this animal, multiple times, which suggests she'll do it again.  The animal shouldn't be subjected to further abuse, it's inhumane.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yeah...  This sounds like you're grasping at straws in her defense.  While what you suggest isn't completely implausible, sorry, I'm not giving her the benefit of the doubt.  If she made that mistake once, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.  If she's done it multiple times, then sorry, she doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me, I'm making the assumption that she's an animal abuser.

In either case, the correct course of action seems the same to me.  The dog should be taken away from her and she should not be allowed to own a pet.  Whether it's through willful abuse or an astonishing level of ignorance, she's abused this animal, multiple times, which suggests she'll do it again.  The animal shouldn't be subjected to further abuse, it's inhumane.

Wow keyrock you really seem like you want her to suffer, its Xmas....where is your Xmas spirit, forgiveness and all that  o:) 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wow keyrock you really seem like you want her to suffer, its Xmas....where is your Xmas spirit, forgiveness and all that  o:) 

It's not that I want her to suffer, it's that I don't want the dog to suffer any more.  Where's your empathy for the dog?  Is the dog not part of your SJW pet project (no pun intended) so who gives **** all about what the dog is going through?  And what does it matter what time of the year it is?  Does animal abuse hurt any less on a given time of year?

You get one get out of jail free (very much figuratively speaking) card in my book when you do something stupid and hurtful like this, just one.  I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt one time and assume you've learned your lesson and won't do it again.  Once it happens multiple times, I will no longer give you the benefit of the doubt because I can clearly see a pattern being established.  This goes for anybody.  If Total Biscuit, a guy I very much respect, had done this I would give him the same one time benefit of the doubt and would condemn him the same way if he had done it multiple times.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I just watched something quite emotional, Candy Crowley is leaving CNN after 27 years. She is an amazing news commentator, I respect her immensely. She also helped and guided  many younger women  so they could establish successful careers in the news industry

She said something very profound which some of you probably already believe, she spoke about some of the criticism she received being a prominent news presenter

She said " I want to thank the public for their support through the years and opinions. Some of it I didn't believe and some of it I disagreed with. But I always respected the right of people to speak there mind " 

John Milton 

Surely it's not unreasonable to assert that if someone does something to themselves then it's plausibly ignorant for them to think it won't hurt another animal?

I've seen many people feed salty chips to dogs. Without any thought to the fact that dogs can't handle salt the way we can. Doesn't make them abusers.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.