Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Gorth

Its getting to the point where I don't think the White Genocide people are crazy anymore.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well I got my first death threat, is there an achievement or something?

Did you learn your lesson and are you ashamed of your pen1s?

Yes, my toxic masculinity forced the poor individual to inform me that they wanted to beat me to death with a rusty pipe. I've accepted my wrongdoing in this matter and have apologized to the individual for causing them such distress. In the future I will do my best to contain the poison of my masculinity in order to avoid the heinous offense of being threatened.

In all seriousness, it seems it wasn't about gamergate, but rather some choice words I had about romances in DAI. All in all, this is reinforcing my opposition to romance in vidya gaems.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Apparantly Hatred has been removed from Steam Greenlight. Don't worry fellas, it wasn't a 'game' to begin with, it was a murder-simulator.

No one is taking your games away.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

waPsXVn.gif?gifm
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

NPvPvEh.jpg

Check the rank.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Valve did this now? What on earth do they hope to gain? Valve has made questionable decisions before but I've never known them to be downright idiotic.

They want to remove the problematic games.

Of course, the fact that Steam has such huge market percentage is more problematic than a distributor not selling a game, but that's been covered on other places to death.

People have been complaining about the lack of curation for quite a while. It's a pretty common annoyance with Greenlight. I'd be surprised if there was an outlet that hadn't covered it already. TB talks about it constantly.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Netflix doesn't have greenlight. Human Centipede 2 is distributed by IFC in the US, which is owned by AMC. If Hatred had a publisher, then it would probably be a different situation.

After Hatred releases and if it gets positive reception, I'd expect them to change their stance. Subject matter or not.

Positive reception from who? The gamers or the journos?

The question looks daft to those of us not indulging in the "skeleton journalists are controlling popular opinion" conspiracies.

Positive reception from who? The gamers or the journos?

The question looks daft to those of us not indulging in the "skeleton journalists are controlling popular opinion" conspiracies.

According to the graph/ stats it went up 2192 places in a day and got all its 13000+ votes, in a day- albeit Valve's graph making skills are about as bad as an unedited MSXL abomination from a 10 year old/ the software engineering in their client so it isn't absolutely certain that is what it means.

That would certainly and already count as 'positive reception' from fans, indeed that is theoretically/ supposedly what GL is actually intended for in the first place, to gauge fans' reaction and desire for the given game. Plus of course Valve's absolutely deliberate monopolism makes it very difficult to succeed without them in the first place unless you're minecraft, Blizzard or EA and puts it into a whole different kettle of fish from Target/ Te warewhare banning gtaV from their shelves.

When people talk about curation on GL/ Steam they almost always say it in the context of all the shovelware RPG maker rubbish and yes even outright scams/ broken games which Valve is happy to stock. WarZ (or whatever the scam DayZ clone was before its name eventually changed), Unity based Early Access 'games' using only stock assets, old games that cannot be played because the copy protection is still active yet the developer has not supplied even an emanual to get the answers for it out of. That is what people want curated, not a bunch of morality goons running around inflicting their morals on others and telling people what to think.

FTR I think Hatred looks moronic and I have no desire whatsoever to play it, but asterisk me if that means I think other people should be prevented from playing it.

• Like 1

Another banning. Evil nazis do it again. But... it's not about taking away games but having more games. LMAO Except the games certain people don't like.

\

P.S. I don't care about Hatred but obviously people do since it was doing well..

Still, waiting on an answer. Why does Bruce hate my neice so much that he feels he has the right to control her and tell her what games she can and cannot play? Hmm...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

https://www.change.org/p/gabe-newell-bring-back-game-hatred-to-steam-greenlight-service

Petition to bring the game back to greenlight.

Edited by KaineParker

Happened across this gem on youtube in some comments:

I just think both extremes, gamergate and anti-gamergate, are basically equally ridiculous. I believe in ethics in journalism, but it's turned into this feminism thing and it doesn't have to be. I don't consider myself a feminist, but I do agree with many of the ideals of actual feminism and a lot of gamergate fanatics go against those ideals. I guess I would be more on the anti-gamergate side in that case, but I also believe that sleeping with people for good reviews is ****ty. Sleeping around I think is fine, though. I wouldn't personally do that, but it's none of my business if somebody does as long as nobody gets hurt. I would say I'm more anti-gamergate, but I also think that all of this is mostly unreasonable and unnecessary. Game journalism isn't really as corrupt as everybody thinks. And everything is ****ing corrupt in one way or another so let's just have a war on everything. It's all just annoying.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

"Sleeping around I think is fine, though."

Who on GG side really cares if people sleep around? Nobody.

"lot of gamergate fanatics go against those ideals."

Bull. Unless your feminist 'ideals' = 'man are just sexist racist raping monsters'.

I believer in equality.  Feminism's original goal (depsite the sexist name) was equality. Modern feminism is about   trashing men. Plain and simple.

Equalism > Feminism

If you aren't an equalist you are a piece of crap. :) :) :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Happened across this gem on youtube in some comments:

I just think both extremes, gamergate and anti-gamergate, are basically equally ridiculous. I believe in ethics in journalism, but it's turned into this feminism thing and it doesn't have to be. I don't consider myself a feminist, but I do agree with many of the ideals of actual feminism and a lot of gamergate fanatics go against those ideals. I guess I would be more on the anti-gamergate side in that case, but I also believe that sleeping with people for good reviews is ****ty. Sleeping around I think is fine, though. I wouldn't personally do that, but it's none of my business if somebody does as long as nobody gets hurt. I would say I'm more anti-gamergate, but I also think that all of this is mostly unreasonable and unnecessary. Game journalism isn't really as corrupt as everybody thinks. And everything is ****ing corrupt in one way or another so let's just have a war on everything. It's all just annoying.

I'm honestly confused by that mentality highlighted at the end. Everything is flawed, so we should stop trying to make it better?

I think I'm going to continue advocating for improvement, regardless if "everything is ****ing corrupt" because that isn't an excuse to accept ****ty standards.

I'm honestly confused by that mentality highlighted at the end. Everything is flawed, so we should stop trying to make it better?

I think I'm going to continue advocating for improvement, regardless if "everything is ****ing corrupt" because that isn't an excuse to accept ****ty standards.

Well it's a common logical fallacy, for one. It's the kind of thing where....If you go and murder someone at a time when murder rates are ridiculously high in your country and you try to get off by arguing "everyone murders these days anyways," even if it's true it does not absolve you of guilt.  It's kind of the same fallacy as even if you expose someone as a hypocrite, that does NOT mean you've disproven any validity of their claims, yknow like the typical scenario where one's parents get furious at you for doing something stupid that they themselves were once guilty of.

And yeah aside from that the laziness of the statement just amazes me. The statement either serves to A) Excuse the actions of anti-GG and name them no worse than what's normal in the world, or B) Divert attention away from anti-GG and it's crimes in exchange for pursuing stuff elsewhere, even though the person is acknowledging said crimes exist.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I think I just can't understand how those people think, from advocating for women women by harassing Liana K and trying to get Jennifer D'aww's Seedscape off greenlight to the self-hatred a group of predominately white men feel towards themselves it just boggles my mind.

489058_1000.gif