How Should Obsidian Market Pillars of Eternity

I think there is a great deal of confusion and misunderstanding about Kickstarter projects.  Some people seem to think the money is free money because those of us who pledged will not get our money back but that simply is not the case.  Everyone who pledged $25 USD is entitled to a copy of the game.  There may be a small amount of free money but I doubt it is significant. We could think of it as a pre-pre-purchase.

Then there are those who say that because backers get a copy of the game for $25 USD the price of the game should be the same.   They forget that another party has entered the picture, the marketing of the game in this case Paradox.  I am sure Paradox has a set figure for marketing costs and that will not change no matter the retail sale price.    That marketing expense will come off the top of the sales plus what ever profit Paradox will make leaving Obsidian with what is left.  A lower price will primarily affect what Obsidian gets.

The whole subject is complicated and people are not thinking logically.  I don't blame people for wanting a bargain I look for them myself but those want one will have to wait for sales.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

If everyone could get the game at same price as KS backers, what would be the advantage of being a backer than?

KS backers risk the most by giving money that early.

Regardless on what price game will be sold when it is finished and distributed in stores, the main advantage that KS backers get from being backer is to get game made in first place, as otherwise it wouldn't have been made. Of course cheaper price and earlier access could have given additional enticement to back for somebodies, but I would say for most of the backers those play quite small if any part in their decision to become backers. And I am quite sure that people will pay much less, for example, than me (about $400) when game finally comes out. 

• Like 2

A bit high price when it comes out is good.

- Means the backers got their games for cheap, which is right. (Except for some of us who got it for expensive.)

- There'll be sales even at the "high" price, lots of non-kickstarters who've heard good things.

- Hefty price means you can have steep discounts and still make money. I buy all kinds of crap when it's on -80% sale.

Market it as Classic Dungeons & Dragons Baldurs Gate 2 type of kind of like something like that adventure thing

• Like 1

I think they should never use the word oldschool.  If oldschool games have good qualities, talk about those qualities instead of saying it's been replaced.

Maybe take a spin on the word eternity? "Pillars of Eternity -- Adventures that outlast a lifetime."

Also:

+Wanted: Hero (*Face Outline*)
Will Pay 50,000 for Deeds of Intrepid Valor*

* -- Or Acts of Intolerable Villainy

Take heed! Troubles await your every path. Brigands, monsters, treachery, deceit, and certain death are to be expected.
+Play it your way, then enjoy a replay

+Be the hero! And do so any way you damn please.

+A new world is ready.  Are you?

+The adventure that reacts to YOU

+Some games are like movies.  This game, is a real advenure.

What about a re-lyriced version of that song whose name I don't know...

"Stop! Party, what's that sou-ound?

It's a Bîaŵac, head un-der-grou-ound!"

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

If everyone could get the game at same price as KS backers, what would be the advantage of being a backer than?

Regardless on what price game will be sold when it is finished and distributed in stores, the main advantage that KS backers get from being backer is to get game made in first place, as otherwise it wouldn't have been made. Of course cheaper price and earlier access could have given additional enticement to back for somebodies, but I would say for most of the backers those play quite small if any part in their decision to become backers. And I am quite sure that people will pay much less, for example, than me (about $400) when game finally comes out.

This is what people that gave more than minimum think. The 95% of backers want a cheaper game first (the 95% are those that gave as little as possible to get the game).

I haven't done any bean counting but I believe roughly 30% gave more than $40 USD.  Some of us also gave through groups.  I think a lot of people simply wanted to see this game made and gave what they could.   Nostalgia? or simply tired of game that had no substance to them?  Maybe both.

nakia_banner.jpg

This is what people that gave more than minimum think. The 95% of backers want a cheaper game first (the 95% are those that gave as little as possible to get the game).

On average people gave $54 for the game, which of course comes from simple math where you divide end sum with number of backers, which don't tell how the sum is actually divided between backers, but it gives you number that tells you how much game would have cost for you if all the backers had paid same amount for it. Of course I can't say why people backed game, but I would say it is bit unrealistic to expect to get it cheaper than anybody can ever get the game if you take part to fundraiser to make it possible to make the game in first place. 

On average people gave $54 for the game, which of course comes from simple math where you divide end sum with number of backers, which don't tell how the sum is actually divided between backers, but it gives you number that tells you how much game would have cost for you if all the backers had paid same amount for it. Of course I can't say why people backed game, but I would say it is bit unrealistic to expect to get it cheaper than anybody can ever get the game if you take part to fundraiser to make it possible to make the game in first place.

Average means nothing in this case and has nothing to do with my statement. My 95% is not an accurate number, but I am sure I would be far from it if I went to count it.

The point still stands that most people wanted to get a game they would like to play cheap.

EDIT: OK did some math (this only includes KS backers).

62.07% people backed the game at base levels that give you a digital copy of the game.

11.35% people backed the game at the 35$ level that also gives you a manuals and soundtracks. This is a cheaper version of digital Deluxe versions of games on Steam.

7.74% people backed it at 50$ level which is an expanded digital Deluxe level (and probably costs the same as digital deluxe will).

Edited by archangel979

The fairness of the release price--vis-a-vis the Kickstarter contributions--has little to do with it, beyond influencing a certain amount of publicity. As a commercial entity that wants to remain in business and continue to produce games that we can enjoy, they should set the price to bring in the best profit. Doing anything less would not be in their interest, nor in ours.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Average means nothing in this case and has nothing to do with my statement. My 95% is not an accurate number, but I am sure I would be far from it if I went to count it.

The point still stands that most people wanted to get a game they would like to play cheap.

62.07% people backed the game at base levels that give you a digital copy of the game.

11.35% people backed the game at the 35$ level that also gives you a manuals and soundtracks. This is a cheaper version of digital Deluxe versions of games on Steam.

7.74% people backed it at 50$ level which is an expanded digital Deluxe level (and probably costs the same as digital deluxe will).

Lot of people also opted to take add-ons, meaning that they gave more money than their tier indicates.) 

But any way I would say it is bit silly to complain that people that didn't back the game should not get game as cheap as most low level backers (if Paradox would had decided to do so) when those backers got game as cheap as they got only because other people were willing to invest more money in the game (people in $20-$50 tiers only put about $1.6 million towards game if we don't take account add-ons, which is less than half of the money pledged towards the game). 

I think that trying to second guess peoples motivation for contributing to the Kickstarter is non-productive.  I can state for a fact what my motivation was.  Whether the price of the game was low or high didn't even enter my mind what was important was the possibility of getting a game with a good story, in-depth characters, good dialogue, a game that challenged my mind and gave me pleasure to play.  I do not remember what my initial pledge was but it had nothing to do with the cost of the game.

However it does annoy me when I see posts saying that "I should be able to get the game for $25 USD because the backers got the game for that amount".    I am not going to try and guess at why Obsidian set that initial price for backers.  I have theories but that is all they are.  Based on other games it is not unusual for games in alpha development to have a lower price than a game that is completed.  Paradox is an experienced marketer and I am sure they have done their research.

• Like 2

nakia_banner.jpg

Well for steam its pretty easy, dont final release a beta or bug filled game. A game can then have very good review rating purely from fanboys and sell okay. From there if the game really good it can get outstanding 9/10 or 10/10 overwhelming review rating. Both sell good, overwhelming games tend to sell way more, good luck achieving that though unless the game is fun enough too appeal instantly for casuals and hardcore gamers like this war of mine and rogue legacy.

Lot of people also opted to take add-ons, meaning that they gave more money than their tier indicates.) 

But any way I would say it is bit silly to complain that people that didn't back the game should not get game as cheap as most low level backers (if Paradox would had decided to do so) when those backers got game as cheap as they got only because other people were willing to invest more money in the game (people in $20-$50 tiers only put about $1.6 million towards game if we don't take account add-ons, which is less than half of the money pledged towards the game). 

You are incorrect, good sir. Those people paid for the game; what I mean is, if ONLY those people had donated, the game would still have been made and they still would have donated only $25. Obsidian only asked for 1,000,000 originally. It wouldn't have been as large, as complex, or probably as good.

But to say they only got the game at that price because other people invested more money is incorrect. They would have gotten the game at that price regardless.

• Like 3

"I should be able to get the game for $25 USD because the backers got the game for that amount".

I need to only find one word in this sentence to KNOW why its false:

"should"

After reading the second letter, whch is above, I already know the sentence is full of **** and I know why - no basis.

There is never any basis to saying x/y/z should...

Edited by Sheikh

There is never any basis to saying x/y/z should...

So... people should not ever use the word "should"? :)

*paradoxical implosion of space-time*

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

We don't count those same as we don't count people like me that bought it through the website for 35$ which was the cheapest one that gets you the game.

I think that trying to second guess peoples motivation for contributing to the Kickstarter is non-productive.  I can state for a fact what my motivation was.  Whether the price of the game was low or high didn't even enter my mind what was important was the possibility of getting a game with a good story, in-depth characters, good dialogue, a game that challenged my mind and gave me pleasure to play.  I do not remember what my initial pledge was but it had nothing to do with the cost of the game.

However it does annoy me when I see posts saying that "I should be able to get the game for $25 USD because the backers got the game for that amount".    I am not going to try and guess at why Obsidian set that initial price for backers.  I have theories but that is all they are.  Based on other games it is not unusual for games in alpha development to have a lower price than a game that is completed.  Paradox is an experienced marketer and I am sure they have done their research.

Well you are a silver supporter, you are not the one we are talking about.

I would love to hear from more people that supported the game at lowest levels about their motivations for that amount.

I do not remember exactly what my initial pledge was but it was low and it was not motivated by being able to get the game cheap but by being able to get a game I would really enjoy playing.  I did increase my pledge several times depending on what they were offering to include in the game as well as bonuses they offered.  The fact that I was able to pledge enough to become a silver backer has nothing to do with my motivation when I made my initial pledge.  :)  That came about because I wanted the stronghold.

• Like 2

nakia_banner.jpg

I would love to hear from more people that supported the game at lowest levels about their motivations for that amount.

I'm on a fixed income from disability. I had about $60 that was more-or-less disposable that month. I wanted to support the game, but specifically I wanted to get a copy of the game out of supporting the game. I did so, and the add-on for expansion, and was extremely happy. I put in an extra $5 just because I really wanted them to make the game.

I think I spent, in total, $55 bucks and got a hamburger with that last five.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 1

I've payed full price for two games in the last 10 years. One was the 30 Euros I sent to Ubisoft, to show my gratitude that they were making Might and Magic X (and I bought early access, but not to play the beta, and I actually waited for two patches before staring it), and to Shadowrun Returns on release, since I missed the kickstarter. Otherwise I never pay full price for a game. Why should I pay full price for a game that is mostly likely released full of bugs, when I can play the same games fully patched a year later for half the price (or less)? I've got so many games to play or replay, that I'm not exactly sitting around waiting for a game to be released. So when I payed 29$ for the digital copy of POE, and then added on the digital strategy book, and first add on (which added up to 37 euros, so 45$?), it was much more money that I would normally give out for a game, and the only reason I payed so much, was because I really wanted the game to be made.

Edited by forgottenlor