California likes to panic over a little rain

LadyCrimson

It's too windy to sleep, so here I am instead.

Our yard's a bit of a mess, yah?
Dec-2014-Storm01.jpg

The Storm of the Century, it's starting! :biggrin:
Dec-2014-Storm02.jpg

(not my pics)
Dec-2014-Storm03.jpg

Dec-2014-Storm04.jpg

B4lcGx4CYAAzjfw.jpg

• Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

But I have it pretty easy.

Dec-2014-Storm08.jpg

Dec-2014-Storm07.jpg

...a storm can never compete with...

Dec-2014-Storm09.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Be strong LC, be strong. Remember that after rain there is always the sun.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

@Woldan ... yeah. Every time there's a storm like this, certain areas get river flooding (sometimes pretty bad), and sometimes landslides in the hills but the general "panic/news" is always a huge over-reaction. They are closing a big/main SF road tho...something about a levy flooding maybe. Not sure.

Be strong LC, be strong. Remember that after rain there is always the sun.

B4lwQxxCMAE4uC8.png

• Like 3

Read they haven't closed that many schools in over a decade or something?

I suppose California has so little severe weather in most areas/times that anything out of the ordinary seems extraordinary. :)

Anyway...hope anyone in the areas that are hit with actual flooding stay safe. Myself, I think I'm going out to play in the puddles for a bit. Camera/video in tow. I'll stay away from major roads/won't be going far, however. It's madness out there.

So much telecommuting today. BART ridership was the least crowded I've been on in a while.

The crowd apparently paid heed to the talking heads on the morning news shows

Yeah, this storm is a bit...overstated for now.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Germany somehow can't figure out how2snow despite the fact that we get snow every year. The result is traffic and delays out the butt.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

lulz.

SF Gate blurb: Are we storm wimps

Also:

B4l9toQCYAAnSJV.jpg

Funniest thing on the news: a not-tall femalereporter standing on dry land by a deep puddle, who then proceeded to step into puddle, talking about how water came up higher than her ankles (as an example of how much rain). :facepalm:

• Like 2

Fingers crossed for mass SJW drownings...I probably shouldn't have said that. Hope everyone is fine, even if don't like them and they want to ruin video games.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Heh.

To be a little fair, our infrastructure is generally poorly equipped in many areas for stormy weather. Drains, power, housing design, soil consistency etc. Which is why a little storm can knock our power out and cause minor flooding via backed up storm drains in no time, if rain is constant for a day.  3-5 inches over a day or two can be a fair percentage of annual city rainfall, and the one time I recall this area having significant flooding (parked cars high-flooded height) was from 7-10" of rain over 3 or 4 days, I think. Maybe it was less...it was over 3 decades ago, barely remember.

This rain better not disappoint or my cover/reworking of The Dead Kennedys will be for nothing. I call it "California unter Alles."

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Dagmar the weather female just told me down here we're on the destination end of the Pineapple Express, a storm-tail moisture pathway directly from Hawaii. I believe her, all day the sky was full of weird clumpy clouds barreling under super-high gray blankets. About an inch of rain expected tomorrow, she said, red dress straining slightly in all the right places.   

All Stop. On Screen.

Sure, it's not as spectacularly awful as East Coast storms, but for West Coast standards, it's pretty out-of-the-ordinary and even extreme.

People kayaking down streets and to Safeway in Santa Rosa.

Manholes being blown off in Mission street, water shooting up twenty feet or so.

Even here, in Redwood City, where the bay is right in back of us, the winds and the rain are pretty hardcore.

So yeah. While it is fun to exaggerate and make fun of us, it's not like the fuss is over nothing.

A lot of cars are underwater.

Must be a great time for some windsurfing though.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy