Path of the Damned Discussion

Osvir

Although given that attributes and class type won't change, that's a comparatively minor difference and certainly doesn't mean an adventurer's hall party is closer to what will happen for most players in game than the BB characters.

Anyway, we're getting sidetracked from the original point, which was that if players needed four short rules to get to play on PotD, those are pretty good.

This is a tangential question, as I was thinking about PotD: The adventurers you hire from the Hall, can you level them up from 1 to N-1 ( N=your level), or do they come already leveled to N-1? I'm a sad panda if the latter is true.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Wizards can make a decent difference if used correctly though it helps to combine the effects of multiple spells be they there own or someone elses.

For example Web + Fireball tends to do 80+ damage to every one in the area of effect (I can often hit 5-6 with one FB, that's 400-500 damage). While the spell that does short term AoE paralyse, stops an enemy and turns them into a big fat target (-100 Deflection, -100 Reflex, plus other big negatives) the next few attacks from any one will be critical hits.

Wizards can do a reasonable amount of damage especially if you hit the enemy with what every spell they're weakest against good Def, attack Ref or Will, High Slash/blunt Damage threshold/resistance burn them etc, but it's some of there spells side effects that are particularly nasty. However you need to know what the side effects are and actively exploit them when the wizard triggers them.

If you group a bunch of enemies in a corridor and they're queuing up for your tank, the wizard can be very powerful. I had one playthrough where BB Wizard went from least damage in the party to most damage just over the course of the spider caves.

It's a bit misleading, however, because not only is that dps highly situational, it's also more of a "bully" dps than a key dps. The mobs the wizard exterminated with such aplomb were of very minor threat to the party, and little more damage would've been taken had the wizard been absent.

In the melee,the wizards AoE spells are impractical because they do so much damage to allies (rather more than the mobs do), and although the BG2 habit of leading with your most powerful AoEs evidently dies hard, practically speaking in PoE it's more effective to position your tank and off-tank and engage and then worry about dps.

Will this game reward me in any meaningful way is I play it on increased difficulty? (note that I said meaningful, so achievements are out of the question)

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

@Grotesque: Does Dark Souls reward you when defeating a difficult foe, or do you feel you accomplished something (in Dark Souls) when you defeat a foe you've struggled with? Does it matter what loot the dude had? If he was a challenge, a difficult obstacle, and when you finally defeat him, is that not a reward in itself?

@Shevek: It's not to brag to friends. Internal rewards, rather than external rewards. Instead of getting confetti in your face and some item a la "Who's a good boy?"-reward, you get to be "the boss" yourself. You take control of the doggie bone yourself, rather than having it handed to you :p

And after reading that @Osvir I'll be definetely playing on PotD !!!

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

A week ago I made a bet with the team that nobody on the team could play through the entire game under all of the following conditions: solo (no companions), Trial of Iron, Expert Mode, and Path of the Damned. I told the team I would buy the winner a dinner of their choosing.

I am almost certain that I will not have to make good on that bet.

• Like 6

A week ago I made a bet with the team that nobody on the team could play through the entire game under all of the following conditions: solo (no companions), Trial of Iron, Expert Mode, and Path of the Damned. I told the team I would buy the winner a dinner of their choosing.

Do I sense a challenge for someone to post their playthrough on twitch or youtube under stated conditions after the game releases?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Tell everyone attempting that that they must name their single character "The Damned." :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Do I sense a challenge for someone to post their playthrough on twitch or youtube under stated conditions after the game releases?

Oh, I am sure someone will do it. I just don't think anyone on our team can do it. (That's right... I am calling them out publically)

• Like 2

Guest Matt Sheets

Oh, I am sure someone will do it. I just don't think anyone on our team can do it. (That's right... I am calling them out publically)

We shall see.

• Like 6

I don't think that's doable. I don't think anyone did that in the IE games, where the equivalent is: no reloads, insane diff (2x damage from enemies), solo. And those games were much more solo-friendly than PoE is. Two out of three, yes. All three, no.

But I would be kind of happy to be proven wrong. :)

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I don't think that's doable. I don't think anyone did that in the IE games, where the equivalent is: no reloads, insane diff (2x damage from enemies), solo. And those games were much more solo-friendly than PoE is. Two out of three, yes. All three, no.

I did it, I just can't prove it.  :ninja:

• Like 2

I don't think the game is designed to be played solo :p

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I don't think the game is designed to be played solo :p

I've had moments in the BB where it has felt doable but... I haven't succeeded. Close calls, on Hard (not on PotD with Expert or Trial of Iron). Had a Solo Wizard and on another one a Solo Barbarian. Barbarian stood no chance, but the Wizard had potential.

What I'm saying is that, I think it can be doable if you count the math right, sneak past the right enemies, complete quests, compare stats with opponents, and determine already before you begin the battle if you will win or lose. If a group of enemies have a total of 200 HP and you only have damage for 150 HP, then you can determine that "Well, I've lost" before even jumping in.

EDIT: It also depends on how docile NPC's react to fighting I think, like in Friendly Arm's Inn you can get some backup from the guards there when fighting Mr. T (don't remember his name, but I remember it started with a "T", Tannosh, Tan---... Tar---? ... *shrug*). Point is, if, say, Lord Harond's Guard would help out in the fight if you bait Medreth's group into the village... such things would make a Solo play more doable too.

Edited by Osvir

I'll probably try it with a pacifist run. In F:NV if you max out skills like Sneak and Speech you can play through the whole game, with completing most of the side quests, without killing any people. I think you can also avoid killing any animals as well, but I'm not as certain about that. The final boss you can trash talk until he cries and runs away. If PoE is set up similarly and you're very, very careful I'm thinking PotD will be the most doable that way as long as you have patience. I'm excited to find out! 

Even if some bandits slaughter a bunch of women and little baby children, my conscience will be clear knowing I did not murder anyone even if that decision resulted in said bandits murdering a bunch of innocents I could have protected! :)

I typically try to do pacifist runs through a game because I enjoy that particular challenge. I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to some people, NOT killing them does more harm than good. I just like to see how things play out if I don't kill anyone. To quote Batman, "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you." With a more adult theme to this game I'll be very interested to see where pacifism takes you.