PoE Guidebook Available for preorder

It's not that I have anything against strategy guides, but we're a long way from the 90s and in practice I'm not sure how much sense they make these days. How much sense do paper strategy guides make in a world with GameFaqs? 

• Like 2

I'm getting more and more confused about what's a guidebook, what's a collector's book and what's a strategy guide, and which of these have I boight when making the pledge. This one says "guidebook" on the cover.

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

• 2 months later...

It's not that I have anything against strategy guides, but we're a long way from the 90s and in practice I'm not sure how much sense they make these days. How much sense do paper strategy guides make in a world with GameFaqs? 

Great question.  It isn't like no one will post a detailed walkthrough of basically everything on the wiki.

Great question.  It isn't like no one will post a detailed walkthrough of basically everything on the wiki.

That's not true! That's imPOSSIBLE!!! T_T

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Link: http://www.readings.com.au/products/19066799/pillars-of-eternity-guidebook

They state it will be available for download March 26th 2015. :)

Now it says "Order online and we’ll ship when available (15 April 2015)." and also "Published 15 April 2015". Now the speculation begins: is Poe delayed again? :aiee: 

"Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."

Hell, they must have changed it today :) Nah, I doubt the game is delayed another month, maybe it will take them time to make some changes to the content to reflect the changes made to the game, hence delay the guidebook only? I hope.

eFoHp9V.png

I suspect for some people they just like to have things like this as tangible physical things that they can have sitting looking nice on a bookshelf somewhere or maybe only have 1 monitor instead of having a multi display setup and have the book open next to them while playing for convenience when they need to look something up or even just something to read when away from your PC (yes i know smartphones exist or whatever but give me a physical book rather than squinting at my smartphone any day) or if you have a power outage or whatever or maybe all of the above.

I get that all of the above is basically personal preference and if none of that stuff is ever of concern to you/just not important in any way then yes, the hardcover collectors strategy guide is a complete waste of money and you'd be silly buying it, but that's not the case for everyone, myself included :)

Edit - obviously not all strategy guides come in the "hardcover, collectors" variety and are just standard paperback style things so obviously the appeal starts to diminish and its up to the individual where to draw the line, for example this guide here for poe I wouldn't be buying if it was just a standard paperback affair so take from that what you will.

Edited by Vorhees

As others have pointed out, this is not the strategy guide but a Lore book. It will have artwork and information on the PoE universe. The strategy guide will be created by Prima and that is also available for ordering now. Also, it seems that there is no paperback version of the Strategy Guide or the Guide Book (Lore book). Which, is a great thing. Lore/Guide book would still perhaps makes sense as it will have lore information but as JonnyBear mentioned above, a lot of sales (based on anecdotal evidence) for the strategy guides are for the so called collector's editions that are hard-cover and usually contain some game art or other additional information.

I my self always go to game wiki, GameFaqs, Forums, or often just a Google (DuckDuckGo) search to find information when it is needed. Yet, I do own enough Game books to fill up a bookshelf. These include game Encyclopedias, artbooks, strategy guides, and lore books and all are hard-cover.

Lastly, I would comment that Prima does decent strategy guides (judging purely on collectible attributes such as binding, cover art, print quality, design, and additional content) But I find ones done by Brady Games and Dark Horse to be better.

• Like 1

I am a book collector with shelves of books I bought despite having access to them digitally. I do it because I enjoy sitting down in a comfy chair with a cup of tea and reading books or perusing artwork. This lore "guidebook" fits that bill nicely and I'll be preordering it.

Strategy guides though - unless a snazzy collectors edition one - are completely a waste of money, even for me.

• Like 1

Dude, it says so in the very link in the OP you posted last December! (But maybe it did not include that information back then?)112 pages.(Prima's Strategy Guide is 400, if I remember right.)

Oh yes, sorry, I keep mixing up the various books and which one we were talking about. :)

eFoHp9V.png

Mind you, the OP's link goes to an Australian site, and thus lists the price in AUD, not USD.

Still more expensive than other places, though. Personally, I'm a fan of the Book Depository, which ships worldwide for free. Prices may not rival Amazon, tough.

The Book Depository is owned by Amazon, has been for a few years. Those of us keen to avoid Amazon don't have many options, really.