Xmas and NY Plans?

BruceVC

The end of the year draws near and Xmas and NY beckons

Wow its been an interesting and tumultuous year, for me much more good than bad. I'm on leave from the 19/12

I love Xmas, I get to see members of my  family who don't live in the same city as me and I go on extended leave which is obviously always a good thing

So what are your plans for these grand events ?

I will be at our family beach cottage for Xmas, its literally 10 meters to the beach and is on a private beach  where there are only about 30 other cottages so its very picturesque and unspoilt. We go snorkling and hiking and of course eat loads of food on Xmas day

For NY I'm going to Psy Trance festival called Revolution. Its going to be epic and hedonistic :dancing:  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sleep and play games, am off from 29-31 and have 25 & 26 off too. Never did get the appeal of NYE, I guess

people will take any excuse to party and booze it up.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Gonna be spending Christmas with family and inlaws (but not at the same time, never at the same time) and eating a lot. Not sure about NYE yet. Neither my girl and I are very into partying, but if someone's hosting a new year gaming party we'll show up. I'd host it, but we don't have a TV currently. :sweat:

I hate christmas, so I'm going to do what I try to do every year; Avoid people, with the exception of my father since we share the same view of alcohol.

New Years eve I'm more torn about, I don't like hanging around my friends when they are drunk, but I do want to meet them.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I hate christmas, so I'm going to do what I try to do every year; Avoid people, with the exception of my father since we share the same view of alcohol.

New Years eve I'm more torn about, I don't like hanging around my friends when they are drunk, but I do want to meet them.

If you don't mind me asking why do you hate Xmas?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sleep and play games, am off from 29-31 and have 25 & 26 off too. Never did get the appeal of NYE, I guess

Malc don't you think they should make it mandatory for everyone who doesn't drink that they have to work on the 1st after NY because you guys wouldn't be nursing a hangover ?

John Milton 

Gonna rock the Kasbah.

You want to watch out. The sharif don't like it.

I quit my job last Monday, to start a new one on the 5th. Working your notice period is as boring as, but that's what I'm doing this festive period. Luckily I'll also be going on holiday to Cologne with the mrs.

Edited by Kroney
  • Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Malc don't you think they should make it mandatory for everyone who doesn't drink that they have to work on the 1st after NY because you guys wouldn't be nursing a hangover ?

New Year's Day is a day off here, I assume for that reason.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, it's extremely commercialized. It's all about spending money and consuming, buying stuff for people because you are supposed to, because it's a tradition. It has a "false" feel to it for me.

And I don't like my family particularly much, they never stay off the booze when they are together. Listening to them rant about how the muslims are invading, getting welfare and stealing our jobs while talking about how to best cheat their way around taxes and such will get me in a furious mood that I will have to bottle up.

Then come New Years Eve and if I go drinking... :p

I'm also against religion and I don't like being reminded about it time and again.

There are upsides though, Top Gear christmas specials are fun, some of the seasonal food is awesome; Glögg and vörtbröd for instance.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Well, it's extremely commercialized. It's all about spending money and consuming, buying stuff for people because you are supposed to, because it's a tradition. It has a "false" feel to it for me.

And I don't like my family particularly much, they never stay off the booze when they are together. Listening to them rant about how the muslims are invading, getting welfare and stealing our jobs while talking about how to best cheat their way around taxes and such will get me in a furious mood that I will have to bottle up.

I'm also against religion and I don't like being reminded about it time and again.

There are upsides though, Top Gear christmas specials are fun, some of the seasonal food is awesome; Glögg and vörtbröd for instance.

I don't know if you meant it to be  but that was one of the funniest posts I've read in ages :lol:

You undoubtedly  get the much coveted " BruceVC funniest post of the week " award :thumbsup:

John Milton 

New Year's Day is a day off here, I assume for that reason.

Yes but why do you need a day off if you didn't go  out the night before, you could be at work and be productive ?

John Milton 

Jews, Muslims and Athiests have Good Friday off here as well.

• Like 1

Jews, Muslims and Athiests have Good Friday off here as well.

Good point, you win :biggrin:

John Milton 

Christmas at home. We were talking about New Years in Vegas though. If not we'll buy tickets to the Peabody NY Bash.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm going to light the biggest fire fireworks display the north has ever seen. Several hundred bucks worth of fireworks will be blown into the sky. Fire, bone rattling colorful explosions, the smell of sulfur and saltpeter. It will be grand. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I kept reading NY as "New York" and was thinking "Oh Bruce is visiting New York for Christmas".

Awkward.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Pretty much this... Although I don't mind alcohol, and don't have relatives of the same political persuasion as yours.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Xmas feels false/about money if that's what (whomever) makes it about. Which admittedly in terms of the media deluge, is very wearying. The "tradition" and commercial aspects of any holiday don't hold much water with me...but the spirit they're often about does. Family (whatever family means to you), giving, celebrating life. So I just try to think about that ... when I think about them at all, that is. 

We've discussed doing something more interesting with time off this year, but we'd rather save/use for other things right now. Plus, as usual, we're just lazy homebodies. But my favorite/cheapest idea was turning the back of my Legacy into a cat-safe travel area so hubby, I, and my cat could go to Vegas and see some shows etc. Well, Mr. Black wouldn't see the shows. But I bet he's the type of cat who'd like traveling/staring out the windows and tearing up fancy hotel comforters while we're out. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Same thing as always, get dressed up like Braveheart, eat a horse, and give it to a French girl in the name of freedom and égalité. Sometimes Jesus does get mentioned loudly. 

Now we're talkin'!

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell