I love this game

ctn2003

cant spell anything hardly : just a heads up (not that anybody well read it anyways) lol

Well i though id say a few words as if poe 3 main cons are resolved ( games whouls still be better than dragen age 3) Combat loot system and the tiny things like droping itmes on ground. I love the finding secrets in the areas sutch as the rings guns and staff in the inn. thats part fantastice. and i think the characters are already amazing i love the guys in the inn their great and all have tons of stuff to say taking to everybody in the inn alone could take a hour reading all the cool lore and history of inn and the broken stones war- i think was a real war. and amore sets are all some of the best in a video game and theirs tons of them i think theirs more armore in poe than in icewind dale and Bg1 combind lets see what else? one big big thing about this game that acouly is FAR better than bg1 and 2 is the fact that it is trully mundane. Bg1 was at its core very silly and even kinda goofy (edwin) and a lot of the characters) but this game is not its just great all around 

at this momment id give it a 4 out of 5    and when its relesed itl get 5 out 5 from me i can already tell :D ill bet ign well give it a 6.5 or someing lie like that.

• Like 12

Your spelling might need work Ctn but it is very refreshing to see someone post about the positives of the game and why they enjoy it instead of just trying to dismantle it and talk about why it sucks.  Kudo's to you!

• Like 10

Your spelling might need work Ctn but it is very refreshing to see someone post about the positives of the game and why they enjoy it instead of just trying to dismantle it and talk about why it sucks.  Kudo's to you!

Yea i know for fact when this game comes out peaple are going to tear it apart   Ign metacritic (only like 5% trustworthly sites for all games anyways) but ill love it regarless of the combat or graphics.

one big big thing about this game that acouly is FAR better than bg1 and 2 is the fact that it is trully mundane. Bg1 was at its core very silly and even kinda goofy (edwin) and a lot of the characters) but this game is not its just great all around 

I get what you are saying but I still hope there is some goofyness,  not as much as fallout 2 or anything, but a couple of jokey conversations are always nice to have in a game like this.

Of course I'm pretty sure that's how it's going to be anyway. 95% serious and 5% goofy might be the sweet spot I think

• Like 2

And still the "silly" Bg characters like Minsc are loved and remembered while "mundane" ones are not. Minsc even got into official D&D lore.

And Dragon Age's characters are more well known than Obsidian's. This doesn't mean they're better. It usually means the opposite, since anything that appeals to the lowest common denominator is more popular as a rule.

And Minsc is funny in the same way Pewdiepie is funny.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
  • Like 2

And still the "silly" Bg characters like Minsc are loved and remembered while "mundane" ones are not. Minsc even got into official D&D lore.

And Dragon Age's characters are more well known than Obsidian's. This doesn't mean they're better. It usually means the opposite, since anything that appeals to the lowest common denominator is more popular as a rule.

The new Bioware characters are boring (DAO and afterwards). None of them are silly and fun. Morrigan was memorable for other stuff, the rest are just plain and boring.

I don't want Obsidian to follow Bioware modern steps.

Xzar has more personally in his few barks that all the new Bioware characters together (well I didn't play DAI so maybe they got some better ones; OK, Mass Effect had some more interesting characters but also not much).

Edited by archangel979
  • Like 2

The new Bioware characters are boring (DAO and afterwards). None of them are silly and fun. Morrigan was memorable for other stuff, the rest are just plain and boring.

I don't want Obsidian to follow Bioware modern steps.

Xzar has more personally in his few barks that all the new Bioware characters together (well I didn't play DAI so maybe they got some better ones; OK, Mass Effect had some more interesting characters but also not much).

No, he doesn't. You like Xzar because he has no personality to speak of (and considering the rest of Bioware's work, that's probably for the better). It's easier to focus on what's there (badly written Bioware companion) than on what's not there (one-dimensional Bioware companion with a few funny lines).

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
  • Like 1

Well, maybe this says a lot about my love for Bioware companions.

I will admit I liked some Obsidian NPCs more (Kreia is still one of my favorite ones), and I would surely not consider those "mundane" like ctn2003 praises in PoE. The crazier = more fun. HK 47 from Kotor 2 is a lot of fun but I don't really remember any from NWN2 OC to be anything special.

Interesting is not always those with melodrama backstories, one dimension can often be more fun. For melodrama I can watch soap opera any day of the week.

• Like 2

I will admit I liked some Obsidian NPCs more (Kreia is still one of my favorite ones), and I would surely not consider those "mundane" like ctn2003 praises in PoE. The crazier = more fun. HK 47 from Kotor 2 is a lot of fun but I don't really remember any from NWN2 OC to be anything special.

Interesting is not always those with melodrama backstories, one dimension can often be more fun. For melodrama I can watch soap opera any day of the week.

I'm not sure I follow. The Bioware companions are very melodramatic, especially the silly ones you seem to prefer. The Obsidian companions are usually more subdued and less over the top, which is why you seem to find them boring.

As for great Obsidian companions, Kreia wasn't the only great character in Kotor 2, the game was filled with them. There is also Mask of the Betrayer and Planescape Torment. The latter isn't an Obsidian game, but Chris Avellone, who wrote all the companions, works at Obsidian.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I follow. The Bioware companions are very melodramatic, especially the silly ones you seem to prefer. The Obsidian companions are usually more subdued and less over the top, which is why you seem to find them boring.

As for great Obsidian companions, Kreia wasn't the only great character in Kotor 2, the game was filled with them. There is also Mask of the Betrayer and Planescape Torment. The latter isn't an Obsidian game, but Chris Avellone, who wrote all the companions, works at Obsidian.

hard to beat sera from DA:I, I'm still not sure how much I like her, but she has unique voice. same w/ dorian and iron bull

• Like 1

The old ones are loud and fun. The new ones are just dramatic and boring.

Obsidian NPCs, none are very loud but some are also not dramatic and as such interesting. I enjoyed talking to Kreia about morality, humanity and self discovery.

And I don't consider PST to be Obsidian. NPCs are more than just one man.

• Like 1

The old ones are loud and fun. The new ones are just dramatic and boring.

Obsidian NPCs, none are very loud but some are also not dramatic and as such interesting.

You haven't explained what you find not interesting/boring about the Obsidian companions. First you said they were melodramatic and now they're not dramatic at all. Which is it?

And I don't consider PST to be Obsidian. NPCs are more than just one man.

According to this interview http://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/tales-of-torment-part-1-55.html, they are in this case:

Chris was almost entirely responsible for the dialogues between the Nameless One and the party NPCs. We could add a few nodes of dialogue here and there, but Chris did almost everything with those characters.

Chris Avellone: I made up and wrote most of the major characters such as the companions, plus Deionarra, Ravel, Pharod, Dhall (and quite a few of the minor ones, especially in the Hive)

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
  • Like 1

You misunderstand. I was explaining bioware companions.

For Obsidian ones, I never said why I consider others less interesting than Kreia or HK47 (at least not directly).

And making companions is not just writing their lines. Other people do VO. Other people animate them, and other people decide when you talk to them and in what surroundings. And other people give green light on including them in this or that state.

• Like 1

I'm extremely excited about this game, and honestly, it will surely measure up well against BG1 (without its expansions at release).

So many seem to forget that PoE can't be like BG2, since it's a low level campaign in a new IP with new RPG rules and everything. It's virginal, essentially. o:)

The story and the companions will most likely be pretty great - probably better than BG1.

The big caveat is the combat. Endless threads in the beta forums certainly hint at the possibility of disappointment in all those people who expected IE-like combat, including kill xp (It's hard to guesstimate how many these are).

However, for all others, it is actually already beginning to shape up nicely as a low-level spiritual successor to the IE games: party-based, isometric and a world full of adventure and interesting stories, cultures and history. A poll in the general forum showed that were plenty of backers 20-35 years of age - which could mean that they associate Obsidian with NWN2, first and foremost, and this pretty big player base won't be disappointed.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Hah, I know what you're talking about OP.

I've begun to develop an Orlan fanboyism, it is in an infant state, growing fast.

I used to hate the halflings in the IE games, but I found myself making an all halfling party in IWD:EE the other day, after having played some all Orlan party in Pillars of Eternity. What are you doing to me Obsidian!?!? xD

• Like 1

Strongly disagree. I have an extensive list of complaints with DA:O, but the characters and the humour of those characters has never been one of them. For me, Alistair remains the funniest companion I have ever had the joy of experiencing in a crpg with Morrigan running a close second. I literally laughed out loud on more occasions than I could count during DA:O, although by the end when the mechanics had become undeniable it was the last game in the series I would play.

I'm not averse to a spot of Bioware-bashing myself, but I think for crpgs to get where they need to be, you have to acknowledge what was done well and what was done badly.

The DA:O characters I played with felt appropriate to the setting, funny without breaking the third wall, and had at least a small attempt at arcing. This should be praised.

The experience was only somewhat spoiled by having a PC who could nob half of them by giving them the sweepings left from doing his job.

• Like 4

Strongly disagree. I have an extensive list of complaints with DA:O, but the characters and the humour of those characters has never been one of them. For me, Alistair remains the funniest companion I have ever had the joy of experiencing in a crpg with Morrigan running a close second. I literally laughed out loud on more occasions than I could count during DA:O, although by the end when the mechanics had become undeniable it was the last game in the series I would play.

I'm not averse to a spot of Bioware-bashing myself, but I think for crpgs to get where they need to be, you have to acknowledge what was done well and what was done badly.

The DA:O characters I played with felt appropriate to the setting, funny without breaking the third wall, and had at least a small attempt at arcing. This should be praised.

The experience was only somewhat spoiled by having a PC who could nob half of them by giving them the sweepings left from doing his job.

Then we disagree. Only thing I remember from Alistair was that he is a sulky whiny guy. He was a nobody and would stay so unless you played his shrink for a long while during the game. I would rather take Minsc over him any day of the week.
  • Like 3

It is my opinion that the NWN2 companions were some of the worst characters ever made.

Most of the companions had one or more of these 3 fine personality traits: 1.) generally unbearable, 2.) hamfisted trope  or 3.) shallow & uninteresting

Going from NWN2 OC to MotB was shocking, a difference like night and day.

• Like 2

It is my opinion that the NWN2 companions were some of the worst characters ever made.

Most of the companions had one or more of these 3 fine personality traits: 1.) generally unbearable, 2.) hamfisted trope  or 3.) shallow & uninteresting

Going from NWN2 OC to MotB was shocking, a difference like night and day.

Obsidian NPCs have always been more complex. Kreia is still over the top, paired with Ravel and The Transcendent One.

• Like 1
In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_