True... but since it's all about the #1 spot on Steam, it would only be foolish to ignore other genres.

That's like saying you'll become top one seller when there's a CoD release since 'it's an other genre'... yeah, sale lists don't care.

Steam's doesn't. Being #1 on Steam doesn't have a whole lot to do with sales. Steam tracks who's logged on playing their downloads. That is how they compile their rankings. And that is why for the entire month of November 2011, Skyrim had the #1 spot on steam, despite the fact that it was released in the same week as Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, and despite the fact that CoD was massively outselling Skyrim that whole month. Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

GTA V isn't new, though. It's just newly available on some platforms. Not that that means it won't affect sales in any way. But... *shrug*. It's not quite the same as a brand-spankin'-new game release.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Oof. Games like WoT are designed to generate microtransactions. It's a business model based on addictive behavior. Successful, but not what I'd consider good.

Yeah it is good. If you want to be addicted - you can and you can spend according to it. If not - you dont have to be. Simple. It actually teaches people not to get addicted to stuff. So its is good and it works too because I feel good to not have to pay and to be able to choose how much I pay.

Edited by Sheikh

Discussions, debates around topics that may inspire the Devs.

They probably hardly even read this forum. You do not contribute to eternity at all by discussing on this forum and if, then in an extremely tiny and indirect way. That is just the truth, whether that is a good or bad thing is your judgement, I think its a very good thing thank god because I do not like to be codependent with Obsidian. I post here purely for my own fun.

I am saying that I dont need the devs reading this forum to find discussing here worthwhile. If you did, that would be codependency which you are very fond of I think. Codependency is never good for anyone.

System built to feed on addicts actually teaches people not to get addicted? Wow. Could you stop melting my brain, please? It's not that good to begin with.

Absolutely. You spend on wot you realize wtf am I spending all this money on and thats where it all starts. Worked like that for me and extremely well. Thank you wargaming, awesome company.

Edited by Sheikh

Discussions, debates around topics that may inspire the Devs.

They probably hardly even read this forum. You do not contribute to eternity at all by discussing on this forum and if, then in an extremely tiny and indirect way. That is just the truth, whether that is a good or bad thing is your judgement, I think its a very good thing thank god because I do not like to be codependent with Obsidian. I post here purely for my own fun.

I am saying that I dont need the devs reading this forum to find discussing here worthwhile. If you did, that would be codependency which you are very fond of I think. Codependency is never good for anyone.

:grin:

EDIT: Sorry for the vagueness, I agree with you on some of your underlying points. I won't be discussing or debating with you here anymore though, have fun! However, you are very welcome to continue the attempted friendly & civil PM I started, or, at least, that was my intention with it :)

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

It whoudent matter if it came out the same day if the game is good ill buy it and injoy it. Did mario 64 die becase of Bubsy 3d coming out arond the same time NO! tome raider came out around the same time as mario 64 it did fine in sales.    POE well sell well no matter what it looks like a great game.

I think a more meaningful metric/comparison we should be using is how well PoE will do vs. the other kickstarters. Will it outsell D:OS and Wasteland 2?

My gut is telling me it's going to blow those titles out of the water (saleswise) by virtue of the Obsidian name alone. Or, maybe a more interesting question is how well will it sells vs. other Obsidian games. It'd be silly to suggest it's going to be able to compete with Fallout New Vegas. That game sold about a zillion copies. But if things go well, it might sell better than, say, Alpha Protocol or Neverwinter Nights 2.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

I think a more meaningful metric/comparison we should be using is how well PoE will do vs. the other kickstarters. Will it outsell D:OS and Wasteland 2?

My gut is telling me it's going to blow those titles out of the water (saleswise) by virtue of the Obsidian name alone. Or, maybe a more interesting question is how well will it sells vs. other Obsidian games. It'd be silly to suggest it's going to be able to compete with Fallout New Vegas. That game sold about a zillion copies. But if things go well, it might sell better than, say, Alpha Protocol or Neverwinter Nights 2.

Divinity: Original Sin profited from it extremely high ratings and word of mouth. I didn't kickstart the game, but I will pick it up eventually, because from everything I read, I think its a game I will like. Pillars will need both of these to blow Wasteland and Divinity out of the water, as the Obsidian name will only influence early sales.

Poe sales = Obsidians wallet = your care?

I sincerely am trying to understand why do you care how much any game sells?  :)

I personally do not care if PoE is the best seller of the century but I would like Obsidian to be successful.  I would like for the company's own well being but I think it would send a message to other companies about what game players want.  That there is a market for intelligent, well made RPGs.  That gamers are not a bunch of half-witted twerps willing to put up with buggy half finished games or games that lack any story or character builds.   

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

*Of course* we care about sales...

If it doesn't make a tidy profit, you'll just have the big publishers laughing at us... "See, you can't make a RPG these days anymore..."

... and begone is the re-rise of RPG's :(

The questions is... Why would anyone NOT care? Unless of course the total lack of economical know-how (as discussed in another thread)?

• Like 4

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I sincerely am trying to understand why do you care how much any game sells?  original.gif

No need to get nervous, mate :) I think, everyone lurking around this board have realized by now that you hate any talk about money irrationally, but this topic actually isn't worse than any other to speculate on regarding PoE. Just get along with it ;)

I personally do not care if PoE is the best seller of the century but I would like Obsidian to be successful.  I would like for the company's own well being 

And thats where the codependency starts! You do not need to worry about Obsidians well being honey, they can perfectly well do it themselves! If you do it for them, you are demotivating them from doing it themselves so please dont do it because that does not work, its dysfunctional.

Everybody need to take care of themselves and help can only be served on a request basis. if Obsidian have not asked you to worry about their financial wellbeing, they dont need you to and you are forcing your "help" on them by doing it and so instead you are doing the exact opposite of helping them. You are doing Obsidian a big disfavor by worrying about their financial wellbeing.

Edited by Sheikh

:facepalm:

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Sheikh, on 16 Dec 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

I sincerely am trying to understand why do you care how much any game sells?  :)

PoE a big success for Obsidian = More games like PoE from Obsidian = I care.

i would like a situation were Obsidian was financialy stable, have moved away from publiser funded games, kickstarting new IPs twice a year while having the money to pay for sequels and expansions to said IPs from their own pocket.

In short, i want them to develop 3-4 games like PoE at the same time, all the time and be able to afford it.

• Like 3

I sincerely am trying to understand why do you care how much any game sells?  original.gif

Oh that's an easy one.

Look around you. Look at the nature of fantasy RPGs today. You've got Twitch games like Witcher. Action MMO clones like Dragon Age. Games who's only depth is their scenery (Skyrim), and ALL are designed/optimized for console users. This is the Big Publisher model. This is how RPGs are today because publishers do not believe that an RPG can be profitable any other way.

So you ask me why I should care about the success and profitability of old school style RPGs like PoE, Wasteland 2, D:OS, and T:TON? Yeah, THAT is why. Because THOSE are the type of RPGs I prefer to play. If they tank, no one will make any more of them. And then I'll have to settle for the mass produced mediocrity that the Big Publishers feed me because there won't be any other alternative.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 5

Codependent

adjective
of or relating to a relationship in which one person is physically or psychologically addicted, as to alcohol or gambling, and the other person is psychologically dependent on the first in an unhealthy way.

No it is not codependency.  I care about people, I care what happens in the world. The relationship between Obsidian and gamers is not codependency but utilitarian dependency.  We need them to make games and they need us to buy games.  That is it pure and simple.  Aristotle rated friendship as the highest good of humans, the binding force of society.  It comes in various forms but all the forms contribute their bit.  I not only have a right to care about Obsidian it may even be an obligation.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Sheikh, on 16 Dec 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

i would like a situation were Obsidian was financialy stable, have moved away from publiser funded games, kickstarting new IPs twice a year while having the money to pay for sequels and expansions to said IPs from their own pocket.

In short, i want them to develop 3-4 games like PoE at the same time, all the time and be able to afford it.

No you dont. You want to play 3-4 games like poe, not want obsidian to develop them.

Codependent

adjective
of or relating to a relationship in which one person is physically or psychologically addicted, as to alcohol or gambling, and the other person is psychologically dependent on the first in an unhealthy way.

No it is not codependency.  I care about people, I care what happens in the world. The relationship between Obsidian and gamers is not codependency but utilitarian dependency.  We need them to make games and they need us to buy games.  That is it pure and simple.  Aristotle rated friendship as the highest good of humans, the binding force of society.  It comes in various forms but all the forms contribute their bit.  I not only have a right to care about Obsidian it may even be an obligation.

Yeah but it is only possible to care about other things through caring for yourself. So it is functional to express yourself through yourself, not through others. E.g. I care about obsidians well being because I absolutely love the games they play and I feel they are awesome people so I would feel well if they did well.

E.g. I care about obsidians well being because I absolutely love the games they play and I feel they are awesome people so I would feel well if they did well.

So it's okay to feel positively if Obsidian does well, while it's simultaneously preposterous that we would care about Obsidian running a successful development studio (aka, making profit/having generally good sales)?

I'm so confused. O_O

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Sheikh, on 16 Dec 2014 - 7:35 PM, said:Sheikh, on 16 Dec 2014 - 7:35 PM, said:

Malekith, on 16 Dec 2014 - 3:11 PM, said:Malekith, on 16 Dec 2014 - 3:11 PM, said:

Sheikh, on 16 Dec 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:Sheikh, on 16 Dec 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:Sheikh, on 16 Dec 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

No you dont. You want to play 3-4 games like poe, not want obsidian to develop them.

Given that Obsidian is the only company i TRUST to develop them (with inXile as a waybe, depends on TTON's quality), you are wrong. I don't consider any other company good enough to give me what i want.

And if Obsidian are developing 4 games at once, the 3 of them would be without Sawyer's influence so there is a chance i will like their gameplay as well.

Though judging by their track record, maybe not, but at least they will be bad due to inompetence instead of by design.

Edited by Malekith

E.g. I care about obsidians well being because I absolutely love the games they play and I feel they are awesome people so I would feel well if they did well.

So it's okay to feel positively if Obsidian does well, while it's simultaneously preposterous that we would care about Obsidian running a successful development studio (aka, making profit/having generally good sales)?

I'm so confused. O_O

No its preposetrous when you project your own good feelings onto obsidian instead of expressing them directly.

Always express what you feel, not talk about other peoples feelings because you feel your own feelings and therefore can not legitimately care about other peoples feelings. You can only care about other peoples feelings through sensing and feeling them yourself, which again is really your feelings. In this case your feelings relate to their feelings heavily, but its still really your feelings you know.

Alot of you are stuck in some delusional codependent thinking and I think you need to do something about it. Go to a competent psychologist and have this explained to you, for a start, perhaps.

Given that Obsidian is the only company i TRUST to develop them (with inXile as a waybe, depends on TTON's quality), you are wrong. I don't consider any other company good enough to give me what i want.

And if Obsidian are developing 4 games at once, the 3 of them would be without Sawyer's influence so there is a chance i will like their gameplay as well.

Though judging by their track record, maybe not, but at least they will be bad due to inompetence instead of by design.

Yeah, you want 3-4 Obsidian games, not want obsidian to develop them? Do yuo get what I mean?

So the lesson is, stop telling Obsidian what to do and start telling them why you care about what they do which is basically why you love their games so much.

Edited by Sheikh