The Witcher series is considered to be "old school" RPG despite the action combat. It's probably because it's much more story driven than most games and do choices/consequences very well.

Not sure the 3rd game is going to keep that feel with their move to open world (landmass is apparently about 3.5 times the size of Skyrim) though. Might end up a bit like DAI where lots of people complains there is too much fetch quests, maps are too large and there isn't enough story.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Wasteland 2 was kneecapped by Shadow of Mordor

Err. WL2 is an awesome game that was kneecapped by nothing but its own gamebreaking bugs at release. Now - after four patches! - it's a much smoother ride but Hollywood quest line ending is still somewhat broken. Edited by prodigydancer

Wasteland 2 was kneecapped by Shadow of Mordor

Err. WL2 is an awesome game that was kneecapped by nothing but its own gamebreaking bugs at release. Now - after four patches! - it's a much smoother ride but Hollywood quest line ending is still somewhat broken.

Is it ? I finished it a few days ago and I didn't notice any bug with this questline.

My physical copy of Wasteland 2 just now shipped. I await it with much longing.

I AM glad I got to skip those 4 patches worth of issues, though, ^_^

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Not sure the 3rd game is going to keep that feel with their move to open world (landmass is apparently about 3.5 times the size of Skyrim) though. Might end up a bit like DAI where lots of people complains there is too much fetch quests, maps are too large and there isn't enough story.

I blame Skyrim. Good combat? Nah. Interesting character progression? Nope. Quality story? Hell no. Opportunity to sink 200 hours into wandering aimlessly around the map? You bet!

It sold a zillion copies, so now every big game needs to be able to call itself "open world". I'm an adult with a job. I don't have the time. Give me a focused story, please.

• Like 7

Err. WL2 is an awesome game that was kneecapped by nothing but its own gamebreaking bugs at release. Now - after four patches! - it's a much smoother ride but Hollywood quest line ending is still somewhat broken.

Casual sales dried by because of Shadow of Mordor release though.

Is it ? I finished it a few days ago and I didn't notice any bug with this questline.

Depends on how you do it. One of the more common bugs is various NPC going hostile after the HCC vote.

Oh, I guess I was lucky then !

And I do think it would be a good thing for PoE to not be released at the same time than the Witcher 3, we agree that it's a very different game (and honestly, I'm more waiting for PoE than the Witcher even if I loved the first two games), but a lot of gamers (like me) play a large range of game, and will not see/try PoE if it get out on the same schedule.

Well, not immediatly, I guess they would buy it a while after.

ZenMax the owners of Skyrim targeted Console Players which is why it sold so many copies.     Outside of being released full of bugs, with no story, no decent antagonists, no in depth characters it was a fun game and I enjoyed just wandering aimlessly around.  Now that they are no longer patching the game modders are able to make mods for it.  The navimesh is still difficult to work with but there has been a lot of tweaking and twitching.

PoE targets the computer owners and people who like story and interesting characters.  It should appeal to a more mature audience.   If we give the game positive reviews on Steam and else where I think that will help sales some.  PoE does not need to break any sales records to be a financial success for Obsidian. Publishing date will be important though so the less competition the better.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Always thought the witcher games were meh. First game was okay, second game was a system hog. Both the witcher games I would say the combat system was bearable although not good as say dark soul games. But Witcher has more interesting game world/lore, well that depends how much you like geralt. A man whore monster slayer.  

I haven't played any of the Witcher games but my female friends seem to love it.  Since women gamers in the USA are somewhere around 47% of video gamers that may have helped their sales.  Geralt seems to appeal to women.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

PoE targets the computer owners and people who like story and interesting characters. It should appeal to a more mature audience. If we give the game positive reviews on Steam and else where I think that will help sales some.

Am I only one thinking games should be made in such a way devs themselves would like them, without "targeting" someone? Don't kick me, I know one should respect people he intends to sell his game to, but when appealing to this audience comes ahead of author's vision of the game itself outcome usually is kinda bad.

Btw, I'm 23, can I consider meself mature enough for PoE? :)

On topic, being released nowhere near around Witcher 3 should help PoE's sales, but speculations about extent of this help are meaningless for now, I think. Too many factors we don't know yet. Anyway maybe Obs will delay PoE until May too, with proud "We want a worthy adversary!"?

• Like 3

Am I only one thinking games should be made in such a way devs themselves would like them, without "targeting" someone? Don't kick me, I know one should respect people he intends to sell his game to, but when appealing to this audience comes ahead of author's vision of the game itself outcome usually is kinda bad.

Nope, you're not the only one.

Although I do understand, when being Kickstarted, wanting certain promises/expectations to be met and all. But there's still a certain point where I think the dev's should be allowed to proceed with their own vision/s. Too many cooks and all that. original.gif

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Nope, you're not the only one.

Although I do understand, when being Kickstarted, wanting certain promises/expectations to be met and all. But there's still a certain point where I think the dev's should be allowed to proceed with their own vision/s. Too many cooks and all that. original.gif

I thought this was one of the key elements of Kickstarter. Developers who want to remake or make something they envision or want to make, go to Kickstarter to see how much others want to see it made. If the Kickstarter is successful, the Developers gets the ability to create what they want to create, with a community bouncing wall for their ideas, "Our vision looks like this, what do you think?" and the community gets to bounce with the Devs what they think about it.

It's still always the Developers product, and they have first, middle, and final word, in my opinion. Though, it is exciting to be a part of, and to advocate, pitch, and come up with your own ideas and see them considered or tested, and see what other non-developer people think about them :D

In short: The "certain point" has always been the "key point", in my opinion.

• Like 3

I dont ever buy games nowadays, I either back them or buy ingame value (wot gold, etc). There are no games that are worth buying because games that you buy as such are never actually good because the busines model where you buy them is tied to a bad design model.

Though, it is exciting to be a part of, and to advocate, pitch, and come up with your own ideas and see them considered or tested

And that has actually happened with eternity?   :blink:

I think what you mean is that we can give feedback/ test the game in the midst of development. Devs are still the ones coming up with the ideas of how to solve problems or redo things for the most part.

That is still good though, yeah.

Edited by Sheikh

Though, it is exciting to be a part of, and to advocate, pitch, and come up with your own ideas and see them considered or tested

And that has actually happened with eternity?   :blink:

I think what you mean is that we can give feedback/ test the game in the midst of development. Devs are still the ones coming up with the ideas of how to solve problems or redo things for the most part.

That is still good though, yeah.

Yes, that's partly what I mean. What I mean with "pitching" ideas is giving reasonable arguments to why a feature would be cool or not. Then it is entirely up to Obsidian to consider it or not. Discussions, debates around topics that may inspire the Devs. People have had ideas since Day 1 on what would be cool/not cool in Pillars of Eternity, and debated/discussed other people's ideas too.

I dont ever buy games nowadays, I either back them or buy ingame value (wot gold, etc). There are no games that are worth buying because games that you buy as such are never actually good because the busines model where you buy them is tied to a bad design model.

Oof. Games like WoT are designed to generate microtransactions. It's a business model based on addictive behavior. Successful, but not what I'd consider good.

I'm more than happy to pay full price for a complete experience. Whether that comes through crowd funding or a publisher doesn't much matter to me. A good game is a good game.

• Like 5

I haven't played any of the Witcher games but my female friends seem to love it.  Since women gamers in the USA are somewhere around 47% of video gamers that may have helped their sales.  Geralt seems to appeal to women.

So much for all those complains about "Witcher-cards/sex scenes" are sexist and all woman must hate them!

I am also still amused at everyone here thinking PoE will be #1 on sales when GTA V is about to be released. Think The Witcher is bad? What about the garguantan openworld game of them all?

If you don't see it you're just fooling yourself.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I highly doubt that the bulk of the people waiting for Pillars play games like GTA.

Speaking for myself, I am a dedicated rpgamer and I bet that goes for a lot of people, and not only those in the forums (for example, I can think of many people I know that only play rpgs)

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

True... but since it's all about the #1 spot on Steam, it would only be foolish to ignore other genres.

That's like saying you'll become top one seller when there's a CoD release since 'it's an other genre'... yeah, sale lists don't care.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Nah, it's not about top selling on Steam. It's about sales altogether. First place on Steam only bobbed up because of Wasteland 2, which held it for some time and is somewhat relative to PoE. It's odd no one mentioned Divinity in this regard.

You're right about GTA V, though. It could snatch first place even from under Witcher 3, would they been released close to each other. Though as constantine pointed out, sets of people buying rpgs and buying games of other genres intersect not so greatly.

EDIT: Sorry, Divinity was mentioned by Sensuki. I missed that.

Edited by Yellow Rabbit

Nah, it's not about top selling on Steam. It's about sales altogether. First place on Steam only bobbed up because of Wasteland 2, which held it for some time and is somewhat relative to PoE. It's odd no one mentioned Divinity in this regard.

You're right about GTA V, though. It could snatch first place even from under Witcher 3, would they been released close to each other. Though as constantine pointed out, sets of people buying rpgs and buying games of other genres intersect not so greatly.

WL2 never held #1 spot, but D:OS did for 1-2 weeks.