What?

How do a modern 3D Sandbox RPG compare with an isometric old-school RPG that can even be relate with each other?

Infact, they are probably screwed since GTA V will release on PC around their release... all is doomed! ;(

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Witcher 3 released at around the same time as PE means less PE sales. That's a given. Now they don't have to worry about it.

Divinity Original Sin benefitted from their release date, as there was no other 'big' RPG released for quite some time (or big game, for that matter), and they enjoyed #1 on steam for quite a while.

Wasteland 2 was kneecapped by Shadow of Mordor after about a week, maybe a bit less.

Edited by Sensuki

What?

How do a modern 3D Sandbox RPG compare with an isometric old-school RPG that can even be relate with each other?

Infact, they are probably screwed since GTA V will release on PC around their release... all is doomed! ;(

Even though they're quite different they're both RPGs.

And if the casual buyer can make a selection between several (new) games of the same genre both lose out, just the one with the lower marketing budget more then the other.

EDIT: So,... new hope for a March release? Eh?

Edited by Quadrone

It's not like we're flooded with RPG releases (sadly enough). It's better than it was before, but nowhere near saturated.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Well...

You have the backers and slackers who've already bought it.

Then the people who've heard about PoE, and plan to buy it when it releases unless word of mouth is bad.

Then you have people who follow the gaming press and will hear about the game when it releases. They might buy it at release or put it on their wish list for future purchase. Mostly this depends on reviews.

Finally, the unwashed masses who have no clue what it is but might buy it if they see it on the Steam best seller list. That's the group you have to worry about missing if it goes up against a major release. How big a percentage of total potential customers is this, really? Dunno. Any estimate is mostly speculation.

Well...

You have the backers and slackers who've already bought it.

Then the people who've heard about PoE, and plan to buy it when it releases unless word of mouth is bad.

Then you have people who follow the gaming press and will hear about the game when it releases. They might buy it at release or put it on their wish list for future purchase. Mostly this depends on reviews.

Finally, the unwashed masses who have no clue what it is but might buy it if they see it on the Steam best seller list. That's the group you have to worry about missing if it goes up against a major release. How big a percentage of total potential customers is this, really? Dunno. Any estimate is mostly speculation.

Ditto on the front page or bestseller list on Steam. That bolsters sales; millions of eyes looking at that front page.

For me, 'Pillars of Eternity' would be the 'big' RPG title if they were to be released at the same time with the new Witcher, even though I'm a fan of the Witcher series

• Like 3

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

That bolsters sales; millions of eyes looking at that front page.

You might want to divide those millions by two. Most people do have two eyes, after all. Well, unless they're pirates.

Sensuki, if you don't mind question, who exactly are those "you" this thread referes to? We will buy PoE anyway, Witcher or no Witcher. tongue.png

• Like 1

Meanwhile, in the Obsidian Offices...

"Bad news, guys: The Witcher 3 has had its release date pushed directly onto our expected release."

*Collective Groan*

• Like 6

Then again, in a perfect world, CD Projekt probably doesn't want to canibalize sales for each game when they are both released on GOG. Spread them apart to maximize sales for both = more profit.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yeah I'm tired of hearing hamsters say it's a different subgenre---do you think most people who bought Skyrim even know what isometric or turn-based means?  They see a picture of a game on Steam, and they click on it.  No AAA dev makes games hoping to sell to the .1% of the population that want a new Baldur's Gate.

Skyrim is the exception to the rule as it's the game that the Call of Duty/Battlefield crowd buys when they want to play an RPG. But your average RPG fan is different. They certainly are cognizant of the RPG sub-genres and they have their preferences within.

That said, at the end of the day, I don't know how much it will matter, sales wise, that PoE is Isometric, and real time with pause. I think the fact that it's got Obsidian's name on it will matter more than anything. And timing, as mentioned on this thread. (I really *do* think that it will be a boon that this game is coming out during that relatively long stretch of time in between DA:I and Witcher 3. Lots and lots of gamers get bored between major releases and find themselves browsing Steam for something to tide them over. If Obsidian plays their cards right, they can grab that crowd in fine fashion.)

Edited by Stun
  • Like 3

Regarding Skyrim, I and many of my friends have played IE games and are knowledgeable regarding the different types of games including isometric games.  Isometric refers to the camera view and not everyone cares for it.   I myself played IE games for years and went to the TES games out of boredom while waiting for several games to release.   I loved Morrowind.   Oblivion with some good mods was enjoyable and Skyrim gave me my monies worth in play.      Gamers cover a broad spectrum.    There are millions of game players and PoE will get its share.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg