Why do people like reality TV?

Spectre1

Why do people like reality TV? What is the appeal? Why would people like to watch this trash instead of shows that are intelligent or shows that have a lot of action in it? I would rather watch an excitng show with lots of action and explosions then a reality show. We like action in movies why not TV? We need more action shows and less reality shows!

Well, I'd suppose it depends on what one means by "reality TV." It's such a broad category these days. Not a difficult question tho, really. As mentioned, it's entertaining. Not everyone wants to use their (whole) brain during their TV time.

Competition - people always like rooting for and guessing what team/people may win...not everyone likes pro sports like football/baseball etc.

How people live shows - people like seeing how others live (more serious shows like live-Alaska/survival stuff), and/or they like to mock/morbid curiosity/"at least my life is better than that."

...many individual psych101 reasons. But mostly....entertainment. :p

Could use more action shows tho. That aren't superheroes. Too many procedural cop shows, too many soapy dramas, too many dull sitcoms. imo.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I am fanatical about Survivor. It's the Hunger Games with better action, drama, suspense, acting, and more hunger.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

You should see German "Reality" TV. Now THAT'S entertaining. (if you like ****)

Edited by Gorth
Language...

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Nothing wrong with competition shows, its the stuff like Real Housewives and pretty much everything on TLC and A&E I don't get.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think there is an over-abundance of reality shows and many of them are just terrible

But I do enjoy the cooking reality shows, like Masterchef and Iron Chef America. You see the competitors and chefs demonstrate real skill :bow:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I liked that cooking competition show where it's about speed. Can't remember the name of it ... 4 competitors, mystery/often weird ingredients in a basket, have 20-30 minutes to make something using them. Can't watch too many in a row, but it's fun to see what they come up with.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I liked that cooking competition show where it's about speed. Can't remember the name of it ... 4 competitors, mystery/often weird ingredients in a basket, have 20-30 minutes to make something using them. Can't watch too many in a row, but it's fun to see what they come up with.

Chopped.

Cutthroat Kitchen is fun too.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Because at this point there are so many people that have either never seen, or simply do not remember, something better. Reality TV is a scam because it has a simple form for commercial success: Lease a house and install cameras. Then, pick a volatile issue and then select from a group of applicants the most likely to disagree to the point of violence and then shack them up and start recording. If by some miracle of rationale, the people manage to find a way to live amicably, plant rumors or ask them questions during their "face time" that would suggest that they have been somehow slighted by the opposing party as this will re-inflame any settled issues.

Reality TV is minimal cost airtime filler, and if you voluntarily sit through commercials to watch such trash you are being sold the lowest cost and quality television that is possible to produce, if you can call it that, for your commercial watching dollar. Things like writers, set builders, camera operators, CGI & modelers, actors, makeup artists cost money, and little if any of that is needed for so called "reality tv". The most expense I can imagine them spending on it is editing.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Chopped.

Yeah it  is Chopped, and you now get a Canadian and South African version of Chopped

I recommend you guys watch Come Dine With Me, its the funniest cooking reality show you will ever see. The narrator an English chap called David Lamb makes the show around the way he passes comments and interprets what the various contestants say. Well worth watching :biggrin:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"I think there is an over-abundance of reality shows and many of them are just terrible"
\

The same can be said about almost anything. It's irrelevant.

I think there is an overbundance of movies and many of them are just terrible.

I can do the same for books, 'regular' tv shows, food, drinks, etc., etc, people, etc., etc.

Big Brother might by considered 'trashy' but it can be hella fun and entetraining and sometimes brings up a lot of good stuff. And, some of the participants are highly intelligent. Amerikan Idol  may have a bunch of crappy desperate wannabe singers on it but there's almost always someone who can actually sing and perform making it worthwhile... as I then proceed WTF How they not win, LOL? :p Damn sexist females always voting for the 'sexy' male guitarists even if he isn't that great. HAHA!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I think there is an over-abundance of reality shows and many of them are just terrible"

\

The same can be said about almost anything. It's irrelevant.

I think there is an overbundance of movies and many of them are just terrible.

I can do the same for books, 'regular' tv shows, food, drinks, etc., etc, people, etc., etc.

Big Brother might by considered 'trashy' but it can be hella fun and entetraining and sometimes brings up a lot of good stuff. And, some of the participants are highly intelligent. Amerikan Idol  may have a bunch of crappy desperate wannabe singers on it but there's almost always someone who can actually sing and perform making it worthwhile... as I then proceed WTF How they not win, LOL? :p Damn sexist females always voting for the 'sexy' male guitarists even if he isn't that great. HAHA!

Volo have you ever watched "Here comes Honey Boo Boo"

It made me nauseous, I could only watch 10 miniutes or so :x

Read this link about why the show was cancelled

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/24/here-comes-honey-boo-boo-canceled_n_6041516.html

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Chopped.

Alton Brown is my culinary hero, and Good Eats was the best cooking show ever. I wish he'd do another show where he was more than just an MC.
  • Like 1

Alton Brown is my culinary hero, and Good Eats was the best cooking show ever. I wish he'd do another show where he was more than just an MC.

He made a few...like, Good Eat-lite shorts on YouTube, but he hasn't put one out in a long while... :(

Put fascists and sociopaths on your ignore list.

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

Maybe it's a byproduct of a generation growing up on TV telling them what to think rather than school, parents, church etc.

Or maybe it's the general push away from privacy and towards a digital "petit bourgeois". Reality TV and social media is sorta like the village hag with all the gossip.. That everyone condemns for her nosiness, but still keeps on listening too.

Fortune favors the bald.

For the same reason people like watching car accidents?

Morbid fascination with other peoples misery, experiencing a large range of emotions (overdose) in a very short time without any personal consquences (better to watch other people make fools of themselves than yourself)?

Maybe it just tickles our inner voyeur?

Come to think of it, I haven't had any tv (at all) for the last 3 months. Can't be arsed (yet) to replace the power plugs with Euro style thingies to plug in the 220v outlets.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sociable people like shows about people. They get to pass judgement, and to learn. Plus it's completely lightweight and mental.

Similar reasons to why I watch Hollywood war movies.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

We need more guns and big explosions and less reality! It is funny we love action in movies but not TV. Why? I would rather watch an exciting action sequence than a bunch of rich girls arguing or redneck crap! Yay for more guns and explosions and less pointless drama! We need more TV shows that are like action movies!