Talent images

Rumsteak

Some people here are worried about the current talent UI which is kind of a long unhandy list, and I agree. I've read from unreliable sources somewhere on these forums that it will be improved. Hopefully this is true.

Anyways, I wanted to talk about talent images. Here's what they look like at the moment:

ntUwbPN.png

Is it planned to have unique images per talent, instead of the generic ones above?

Talents are the equivalent of other games' feats or perks. They give you a new capability or greatly improve an existing one. Every other level they should feel like a nice little gift, like "Whoa, what kind of awesome stuff am I gonna choose?". I think unique icons, or better yet, unique images (bigger than icons) would improve that feeling.

I guess what I have in mind is something like Fallout perks, which gave a nice touch:

perks.jpg?w=468

Of course this would be different to fit the PoE world. Otherwise, maybe just having unique arpg-style talent icons could do.

On top of the real in-game bonuses talents provide, images or icons would make them feel more real and enjoyable. How cool would it be to have a badass hand-drawn dude carrying a crossbow/sword/axe in 3 hands, to illustrate the Weapon Focus Knight talent?

Anyways, just giving my two cents, in case a talent UI reshaping is in the dev pipeline.

Edited by Rumsteak

The generic ones serve a purpose by distinguishing the class specifics, information which would be lost if replaced by unique icons.

If class neutral and specific talents were organized in separate sections/trees, there would be no need for these generic images. Depends what the devs are planning to do.

Edited by Rumsteak

I don't know what's the plan, but that screen desperately needs some way of filtering out the results.

Be it a tree, tabs, filters, advanced search, whatever, but one very long list of talents you need to carefully read one by one, narrowing your way through otherwise very long and impressive list towards that what you'd actually want to use isn't being helpful.

• Like 2

it's old news the UI is nonexistant is PoE.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

J. Sawyer said that passive talents won't have unique icons, and that the talent selection screen will have tabs.

Edit: Here is the exact quote.

Passive Talents either have class-specific or general icons. You only ever see them on the selection screen. We're going to be organizing the Talents list with tabs so it's easier to sort them.
Edited by Lychnidos
  • Like 1

Oh, alright.

If I may be pedantic though, he said that they don't have unique icons, not that they won't have unique icons. Just saying!

IMO it wouldn't hurt to spice up talents a bit more.

Edited by Rumsteak

Can't see why even talents can't use their own icon... works fine in, say, Knights of the Old Republic II ;)

I would also want to point out a good way to get around this would be... the bookstructure of Baldur's Gate.

It would be a shame if so many good (and great looking to boot) UI elements of the old Infinity Games were simply overlooked because, why actually?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee