Macintosh Builds

RoughOne

I would like to encourage that Obsidian routinely target a build to all current operation systems whenever they do any build.

I use both PC and Mac environments routinely, but I specifically backed this game for two reasons:  It was a game concept that I loved, and that it was going to be brought directly to the Mac OS X, my OS of choice.  While games are getting more common place as the OS gains in popularity, it is still the ugly stepchild to the PC platform.  I had hoped that this game could break that and release for all platforms at the same time.  So, I waited to download the beta for Mac, rather than PC.  And I waited ... and I waited.

Now that the Mac beta is out, I have to say I am somewhat frustrated with the fact it is basically unplayable beyond, basically, one area past the town.  I've gotten to three dungeon/cave areas exactly once each.  That seems to be the 'range' of saved games.  It seems that once you get beyond a certain number of saved games, the game crashes when you attempt to reload/continue etc.  You have to restart with a new character and go from there.

Since it is not that difficult to target a new platform from a build (recompile with another target, etc) I would strongly urge Obsidian to make their build process across platforms to be in parallel for all platforms once a new one (linux too) is targeted.  Yes, this takes a bit of resources, but really not that much, since you are making new targets for the PC now.  As I am sure you are aware, there will be platform specific issues for each, and the sooner those are uncovered by beta testers specific to those platforms, the sooner they can be addressed.

I am loathe to think that the PC version is the sole focus for testing and then the Mac and lastly the Linux, but given the input of the boards, that is the impression that I get.

I would also strongly urge there be a break out of the bugs boards by platform, so a user of those platforms can quickly discern if their current issue is a known one.  I've searched many times for terms like 'mac' 'macintosh' or 'os x' and had no returns on those search terms. Having a specific starting point would be most helpful.

Thank you for your attention to this.  I love what I have seen thus far and think this will be an excellent game.  I just hope I am not playing it once the PC version has been played, hashed and all manner of hints, solutions and walkthroughs litter the web.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's not like they just have 80% resources on Windows, and 20% working on Mac. They've just hit more snags with the Mac build. In a way, that means they're working even harder on the Mac build than on the Windows build. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

We have all platforms building and being tested every day ...

so... any new info on the linux build?

There is a Unity update that fixes our Linux problems. Normally, we wouldn't update our engine this late in development, but we don't have much of a choice (without completely rewriting large portions of code). We typically have the programmers run on any new updates for a few weeks to make sure there aren't major issues. Adam is currently doing this. If everything checks out we might be able to upgrade the team soon.

• Like 3

I know what Unity is. I know that a few weeks ago 4.6 was released. I even mentioned it on these very forums. What I do not know is what's up with Sensuki's reaction to the news. Google that for me, if you will...

You know what Unity is? Really? WOW! Hey forumites, Jajo knows what Unity is! So, do you know everything about 4.6? Well if you do, then you know the difference between 4.6 and the previous version? So this is not something to be happy about? What am I missing? Maybe you can google that for me.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II