Dragon Age: Inquisition

Rosbjerg

Old Thread here.

After hours of exciting and often challenging combat on Nightmare difficulty, I stumbled over these words, written by Kirk Hamilton, Kotaku:

"There's no healing spell in the game, which is a bold move and in my experience so far, a successful one. The only way to heal mid-combat is by using potions, and you're initially limited to eight among your entire party. That means that buffs, barriers, and guards become extremely important, and you'll no longer have to dedicate one of your four party members to act as healer to the other three. The game encourages a satisfying blend of caution and aggression, and it really works."

I couldn't agree more.

It's streamlined and rather ARPG-y, but it certainly is great fun and challenging in quite a lot of ways depending on your party composition.

How does the difficulty work? Is it more than more enemy hit points and DPS? If so, how?

Fortune favors the bald.

How does the difficulty work? Is it more than more enemy hit points and DPS? If so, how?

Enemies have more HP, deal more damage and have higher resistances to elemental damage. On Nightmare, that means elemental immunities.

I don't think there's any difference in AI, for instance.

EDIT: Nightmare is much more difficult than it was in DA:O, but a bit easier than in DA2. The non-linearity makes most of the game easy.

Edited by MrBrown

Gnnnn.

Halo had great A.I. back in 2001. Is.it.that.difficult?

(applied to every game really)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think all of DAI's AI went into the damn bears. Sneaky little bastards coming out of nowhere to maul me in the middle of fight with bandits...

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Gnnnn.

Halo had great A.I. back in 2001. Is.it.that.difficult?

(applied to every game really)

I'm not sure how you expect Halo's AI to apply to a game like Dragon Age. The characters don't retreat to charge their shields. So you can't have the AI come after them and flank their cover.

It has an agro and taunt mechanic, too. So you even have control over their targeting.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

There is a heal spell in the game. Why do people lie?

I don' think they're attempting to lie. There isn't a spell that "heals" you unless you're knocked out (the revival spell). Most people would say that was a "resurection" type spell.

Albeit I think you're technically correct.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There is a heal spell in the game. Why do people lie?

Technically there are two, Revival and the KE's Focus power. Haven't used the former much, but the later works wonders.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think all of DAI's AI went into the damn bears. Sneaky little bastards coming out of nowhere to maul me in the middle of fight with bandits...<mumble, grumble>

They're super-aggressive, unlike everything else, that you basically have to go tap on the shoulder to start combat.

Been playing the online part most of the day. It's really pointless but I didn't feel like playing the single player campaign in my state. Leveled up my archer to level 15 and Keeper to level 8. Still haven't unlocked any class.

If anyone would be interested in some online play, you could PM me your PlayStation username.

Edited by Labadal

What do these dragons have, 20,000 hit points? Went after my second dragon, Storm Coast island one, and didn't seem to be getting any where with it. Just a slight dent in its hot point bar before i said screw it and let my last person die. Went back to Skyhold and crafted some better weapons and armor, see how this goes.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

What do these dragons have, 20,000 hit points? Went after my second dragon, Storm Coast island one, and didn't seem to be getting any where with it. Just a slight dent in its hot point bar before i said screw it and let my last person die. Went back to Skyhold and crafted some better weapons and armor, see how this goes.

20,000?  I fought a level 21 dragon that had well over 100,000 hit points.  The fact they throw up their shields often also makes it difficult.  You have to whittle down its health 5,000 to 10,000 at a time, then spend minutes taking its shields down, all while trying to keep from being squished.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I was disappointed with Val Royeaux.  I was hoping they'd make it a grand, epic city, similar in size to the Citadel from the Mass Effect series.  At the very least, superior to Kirkwall.  Instead, there wasn't really anything to do there and it had like two different small levels.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

So it seems many people have played this game and I'm keen to hear some overall impressions and a score of 100

Are you disappointed? Impressed ? Satisfied ? And don't forget your overall score out of 100 :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So it seems many people have played this game and I'm keen to hear some overall impressions and a score of 100

Are you disappointed? Impressed ? Satisfied ? And don't forget your overall score out of 100 :)

I gave my impressions of it in my Rate Your games of 2014 here-thread:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68866-rate-your-2014-games-here/?p=1539247

I named it my personal Game of the Year. It got a total score of 91.7 out of 100, so it must be in my top ten list of games made in the 21th century. Having played twice as long now, I'm tempted to raise that score even further. I love it for what it is - it achieves what it set out to do. :sorcerer:  

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Closer to 200,000.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I gave my impressions of it in my Rate Your games of 2014 here-thread:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68866-rate-your-2014-games-here/?p=1539247

I named it my personal Game of the Year. It got a total score of 91.7 out of 100, so it must be in my top ten list of games made in the 21th century. Having played twice as long now, I'm tempted to raise that score even further. I love it for what it is - it achieves what it set out to do. :sorcerer:  

I give it an 88.3 out of 100.  It is a very good game.

I've run into a bug where I am unable to interact with objects. So far it's happened with a book in a Villa in the Emerald Graves and a ! object close to the staring point of Emprise du Lion. Anyone else getting this?

Closer to 200,000.

Off by a zero. Talk about a cheating game. Where are the +200K wackmasters in this game?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Closer to 200,000.

Off by a zero. Talk about a cheating game. Where are the +200K wackmasters in this game?

Near as I can tell, at 18 the most damage per attack I can get(with a KE Mage) is 2000+ with critical hits. I've found Dragon fights pretty easy, as your barrier never goes down and you can effectively out tank a warriot.

I don't like scores so I'm not going to give you one, but I really liked the game. I finished it a few days ago. Very Biowarean, though people might feel the exploration parts don't fit their games.

• Like 1