Walking or Running

Osvir

Walk or Run  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Should Characters Walk or Run?

• Walk
    • Run

I still think they don't have enough time to ship a proper polished game at this stage.

The game needs to be delayed further.

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

This poll could use some tweaking.

the_most_awkward_sport_in_the_world_race

• Like 1

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

I still think they don't have enough time to ship a proper polished game at this stage.

The game needs to be delayed further.

There's been tons of discussion on this matter. Go to those threads.

This poll could use some tweaking.

You should know you can't edit after a certain point of time but, what's your input/feedback on the poll? What do you think of the topic (Walk/Run) and what sort of tweaking? You can ignore voting and comment too of course :) you're a bit vague Messier-31, what could be better?

EDIT:

Crawling?

This would be awesome too! Crawl through a hole, crawl up to a fortress sneakily, swim, hide.

Edited by Osvir

You should know you can't edit after a certain point of time but, what's your input/feedback on the poll? What do you think of the topic (Walk/Run) and what sort of tweaking? You can ignore voting and comment too of course :) you're a bit vague Messier-31, what could be better?

Oh, just some lads before me who suggested that there might be ways of toggling between running and walking. Sounds reasonable, thus prevents me from choosing just one poll option. Hence no vote from me.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I could've included Crawling, Jumping, Jogging, Skipping, Crouching etc. etc. but I thought it more realistic to keep it down to 2, and comments can be expansive and elaborated ideas/thoughts/brainstorms :)

And I'd like one more option: prone and pulling forward with the tongue. That's never been made before. It'll be original :p

Of course - the Lickety-split method faster than a speeding slug!  :p

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

• 4 weeks later...

Why couldn't it just be single click and your characters walk and double click and they run? Then have an option in gameplay setting somewhere thats a tick box that says "Always run" or something like that. 

• Like 1

Why couldn't it just be single click and your characters walk and double click and they run? Then have an option in gameplay setting somewhere thats a tick box that says "Always run" or something like that. 

Congratulations you have just won this thread.

• Like 1

There's also the typical "Hold mouse-button down"~ Divinity: Original Sin uses that, and depending on where your mouse-pointer is in relevance to the characters they will walk or run (close to the character = walk, further away = run). Though, that might be a bit difficult, because scroll panning and camera control.

Your solution/idea much better :)

Point taken Sensuki, but no one is asking for a change in how the mouse control works. Merely an open discussion, rethorical in nature, about movement animation (Walking or Running) as well as mouse control schemes seen in other games.

What Few presented for instance, is a good solution, without impairing the mouse control whatsoever (1 click = Walk, 2 click = Run). My idea/solution, would impair the mouse control though, and I am not denying it.

How the Player moves & controls the character (mouse, hotkey, keyboard) is very much relatable to how the Characters moves & controls on the screen (running, walking, animation).

Edited by Osvir

There's also the typical "Hold mouse-button down"~ Divinity: Original Sin uses that, and depending on where your mouse-pointer is in relevance to the characters they will walk or run (close to the character = walk, further away = run). Though, that might be a bit difficult, because scroll panning and camera control.

Your solution/idea much better :)

That sounds terrible when it comes to managing a whole group, though.

I agree that double-click for running works the best, because the current "double-click to flick around the map like mad" is an infuriating functionality.

t50aJUd.jpg

I just thought of something.

It has to do with Engagement.

Please don't kill me.

I've been playing the Backer Beta a little, and while I like the idea of Engagement, I'm finding it nigh-impossible to move around once the pieces on the board is "set", and generally speaking, it just ends up being a big cluster where it's hard to even see who's engaged with who. My first idea was to move all the pieces around, get some distances, but, obviously, Engagement wouldn't have none of that **** from me.

What if.. what if we have a real Walk/Run toggle? R to Toggle, hold Shift to Run/Walk on movement command. Or something.

And what if Walking didn't trigger Engagement attacks, because you are slowly walking (backwards), pulling the opponent with you?

And Running (maybe slightly faster than now?) always did?

That way:

• You can tactically reposition slowly in combat, moving opponents away from eachother or towards eachother.
  • You maintain the intended functionality of the Engagement system, to re-value melee and tanking, to create choke points.
Running and Walking wouldn't just be cosmetic, but have meaningful implications, tying the "immersive" aspect (that we don't want to friggin' run everywhere all the time) into the mechanical.

In the interest of not derailing this thread I'm going to repost this in the discussion on Engagement, since it tends to raise a lot of ruckus.

t50aJUd.jpg

I think characters should walk in towns and run in the wilderness.

While I generally agree, I see no reason for the game to make that decision for me. In fact, I would find it even more infuriating as to why I can't get a Toggle when the game would already Toggle for me based on landscaping.

t50aJUd.jpg

While I generally agree, I see no reason for the game to make that decision for me. In fact, I would find it even more infuriating as to why I can't get a Toggle when the game would already Toggle for me based on landscaping.

True. 

Most of the time running around towns I wish I could go faster. In dungeons it's not much of a problem, because you have to be careful of traps and enemies. Same with wilderness. But towns? Speak to this NPC, do a fetch quest for that merchant, run all the way back and then try to remember where you have to give in the other quest. It's pretty annoying and if I had to walk, it would be absolutely infuriating.

True. 

Most of the time running around towns I wish I could go faster. In dungeons it's not much of a problem, because you have to be careful of traps and enemies. Same with wilderness. But towns? Speak to this NPC, do a fetch quest for that merchant, run all the way back and then try to remember where you have to give in the other quest. It's pretty annoying and if I had to walk, it would be absolutely infuriating.

Well... there is a Speed Up Feature, meant for that exact purpose. I don't see why it would be infuriating to use the Speed Up feature (and thus abstracting "Running") with "Walking".

I still forget everytime I play that "Speed Up" is even in the game and has a hotkey because "Running", to be honest, the Beta content hardly requires it though.

Edited by Osvir

True. 

They could always make the town maps include enough interesting and or dangerous spontaneous encounters to slow you down to a walk without getting boring... ;)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...