Am I the only one who think that combat is still too fast and chaotic? + idea

Sky_walker

They stated early on that they were going to use a lower camera angle for exterior maps so that structures look better, however there are issues with it in combat. Characters disappear behind tall units such as Forest Lurkers and you can't see what's going on.

It's weird that in Temple of Elemental Evil they did 3d characters in 2d environment too, but I really never thought of any problems regarding this fact while playing. Of course, it was turn based, but even in close range, things were just more clear. And the more I think of it, perhaps PoE would be a better experience if it had a turn based combat, instead of this weird thing we got now. Oh well, maybe it won't be so bad. 

Well, if it was pure turn based combat, it wouldn't really be a successor to the IE games that it's supposed to succeed :p

• Like 1

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

For starters, I'd like all floating info above PCs to be moved down, onto the character portraits.

• Like 5

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

For starters, I'd like all floating info above PCs to be moved down, onto the character portraits.

Or at least duplicated if not moved. Yes. That's one of the most annoying things - that to get the full picture of your character status you need to jump between two different locations - your character and his portrait.

It's weird that in Temple of Elemental Evil they did 3d characters in 2d environment too, but I really never thought of any problems regarding this fact while playing. Of course, it was turn based, but even in close range, things were just more clear. And the more I think of it, perhaps PoE would be a better experience if it had a turn based combat, instead of this weird thing we got now. Oh well, maybe it won't be so bad. 

ToEE uses higher camera angle than PoE and doesn't have as detailed terrain (especially in the amount of details on the ground itself) making characters stand out more easily. Also in ToEE you had less things to take care of and classes that were less unique (in terms of combat strategies) than it is in PoE, as a result making battles noticeably easier to manage.

And the issues I have with combat got nothing to deal with it being real-time - I'm all for real-time with pause combat, love it, I'd be totally disappointed to have the game turn into turn-based like it already happened with the new Torment. But the speed of the events combined with the high damage characters receive (which are very heavily affected by RNG) make it very unforgiving and feel more disconnected (chaotic / random) than it did in, say, Baldur's Gate 2. (also: this)

Edited by Sky_walker

Unfortunately there's a lot of people who don't give a rats about combat, and Obsidians 'fans' at large probably don't give a rats about combat because their games all have poor to passable combat at best.

I'm here for the Infinity Engine games and combat. Not remotely satisfied at this point.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

I dont think the camera is the problem with visibility. Its the grass. Part of the issue is that PoE has tall grass that partially obscures your characters. I dont think ToEE had that. They need to make it so the grass is slightly transparent and characters have a very thin dark outline (visible through the grass).

Edited by Shevek
  • Like 1

it will be difficult to change the angle of the games even between poe1 and poe2 if there is a possiblilty of doing a BGT like as the maps are baked at that specific angle and to change the angle to be consistent would mean that every map needs rebaking/paintover passes/etc.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Unfortunately there's a lot of people who don't give a rats about combat, and Obsidians 'fans' at large probably don't give a rats about combat because their games all have poor to passable combat at best.

I'm here for the Infinity Engine games and combat. Not remotely satisfied at this point.

i generally don’t agree with design decisions  that punish the player so that i always have to invest to get over the minus. What i disliked from the first moment that i joined here was their decision to penalize the player with chicken-**** AoE size and target range so that first you need to invest in that. That’s probably a result of strength being might in this game. Their decision last week to stick to their melee system has done me in i’ve to say.