Hey,

I know it is too late now to change anything major but I still want to present my worries.

Only time OE did stronghold was in NWN2 and that was not a very good job in my opinion.

Well yes, it had options for your character and it was fun but it failed in most important part: it had no real consequences for player choices.

At that I mean the last battle. Your party completely decided it no matter what you did with the stronghold. There wasn't even a NPC that came later and said "My village could have survived if only KC had some well trained troops to help us". In my second play I spent 0 resources on troops and upgrading walls and all I lost is some money from bandits raiding caravans.

I want this stronghold to be better done. I want NPCs to die and people depending on your decisions to have a say on your good or bad management. I want real consequences and a world that recognizes your choices.

I really hope OE understood the bad things about NWN2 stronghold and made it better this time around.

• Like 1

TLDR NWN2 strongholds were ****, therefore project eternity strongholds will be ****? This has nothing to even do with eternity, you didnt even talk anything about eternity strongholds.

Have a little faith in devs. Worrying is always pointless. Live in the present.

TLDR NWN2 strongholds were ****, therefore project eternity strongholds will be ****? This has nothing to even do with eternity, you didnt even talk anything about eternity strongholds.

Have a little faith in devs. Worrying is always pointless. Live in the present.

Considering same people are behind both games it is very connected and worries me.

That he is worried. So worried that he doesnt even dare to look into the matter, fearing of whats there.

Only a copper imbalance creates such deep seated and throrough anxiety and you need to fix that to be able to discuss this matter rationally on this forum.

Edited by Sheikh

In my oppinion the stronghold of NWN2 was really good and fun for the majority of it's existence, and as you pointed out, fell flat at the end with no real consequences.

I had a blast with it while doing it though, but the end felt rushed imo, it was the same thing with ME3, the building of your strength was fun, but the execution at the end was short, boring and had little real counsequences.

So I do agree with your worries, but I do not agree that they were bad, it's just the aftertase that was bad. It's like reading a good book, and then the ending is bad, it doens't make the whole book bad, but it's the last part and what sits with you the longest.

IMO, if they develop further on the NWN idea of a stronghold, and then add some importance to it later on in the game, it will be a TON of fun, so for me NWN2 is more of a "first proper try" and now that they've seen what was good and what was bad, they have an easier time to make it better.

SO! NWN stronghold being flawed is in my oppinion a reason to believe that this one will be better, and since it doens't need to be improved all that much, I have a good amount of faith in them doing it right.

• Like 3

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

Eh, at the end of a day, it's an RPG, not a strategy game.

I don't want to be overly punished because I didn't spend a lot of time playing Castle Maker.

I'm cool with certain choices affecting Stronghold interactivity like:
Make friends with X race, and get special goods or NPCs at Stronghold

Maybe a quest where you have to choose whether to place an special orb in your dungeon or a tower, and getting a different bonus for which choice.

I'm okay with raids taking a small amount of gold away, or nameless guards. (Do not kill off named NPCs in an RPG for something so non-RPG like).

Those are my ideas of what's cool and not cool to do.

• Like 2

When the subject of the stronghold came up in the Kickstarter I thought of it as the player's home, a place to stash goods, relax, with a few minor quests but not as a major element in the game which would affect the ending of the story.  You might gain reputation according to how you treated your vassels if you had any or gain goods or gold if you protected traders passing through.  Yes, something like the one in BG2;

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Its a home for a noble. I would first like to know in game what kind of noble I am and what lands I rule over and whats power do I have and who are the people that follow me before I inhabit a stronghold. Otherwise Id live in a cottage like typical person.

Edited by Sheikh