Installing Kotor 2 on Windows 8.

Hello. First off, I am attempting to run Kotor 2 on a brand new Toshiba Satellite with AMD processor and Windows 8. The game itself works fine, as I installed it a week ago on another laptop with no issues (except the usual issues with Kotor 2). When I try to install Kotor 2 on the new laptop, however, I don't even get through the first disc without an error popping up with a message saying:

Feature: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords_Files

Component: DefaultComponent

File: D:\data2.cab

Error: Incorrect Function

Now I know a similar error which reads as cyclic redundancy check means that the disc is corrupted, but as I said, this worked a week ago on a separate computer. Can someone figure out exactly what is going on with this error? Is it an issue of disc integrity or is this a common problem with Windows 8? Also, are there any special considerations that must be taken to install Kotor 2 (or K1 for that matter) on Windows 8 machines? Thank you.

Count yourself lucky--I can't get the newly reinstalled game to run at all on my Win 7 machine.  It ran perfectly fine on WinXP.  I've played it through several times and wanted to run through the restored content at least once, but I can't even get the vanilla game to run; it crashes right after character creation when the first video tries to play.  The only thing I haven't tried is disabling CPU cores ... after spending several days hassling with this thing, it's probably more trouble than it's worth at this point.

Hmm, It's probably time I gave the game a shot anyway. I've finished Kotor2 on Windows 7, so I know that works (at least, the steam version does). And that was with the restored content mod too. Since I also have a laptop with Windows 8.1 in addition to that now, I might just see if I can get it (steam version) installed and running there too.

IIrc, the only issue I had in windows 7 was the weird speed of the controls thing, which disabling/enabling (dont remember which) vsync fixed for some reason.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I had the old install disc version running on Win7. I wonder if it would run (spec wise, outside of Win8) on my cheap Win8 laptop. I should try it. :lol:

That's one thing about Steam and old games/why I don't often buy such on Steam ... I'm not always certain they'll run on newer O/S. Good to know Kotor2 does.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts