What does the Combat Log lack?

Gairnulf

I think my main problem with the combat log is that it just flies by so quickly. It seems like every tiny action is recorded and I can't keep track of that without pausing every few seconds to read it in the heat of combat. 99% of the time, I ignore the log until after combat. Sadly, I've only got some minor BG:EE experience to offer for suggestions to fix it, so more experienced users would have to try and help sort it out a little. I'm not sure why the PoE combat log is so much harder to keep track of compared to the BG:EE one

My Blind Journey through the Beta. Join my transgender Paladin as I struggle to get to grips with the game and its mechanics. Well, I never said my first journey into an isometric RPG would be smooth, now did I?

My Adventure through Baldur's Gate. Inspired by my play of PoE, I decide to pick up a much fabled game of the genre. Join Solana as I delve into this world of weird, wonderful and annoying people.

About the pause msg on screen: It should be in the log too. I would much rather have all the info collected there, than all over the screen :)

IMO it is irrelevant and superfluos information considering battle. When reading combat log, you want the information about what just (or earlier) happened, you don't need to know whether the game was paused or not at that moment.

Game paused is a status information that should be displayed somewhere else so there is more space in the log for important information.

Well, autopause is in the log. It works fine during combat. I was speaking of outside combat ... I just don't want to have my eyes all over the screen, when the info could be in the log...

Edited by Cluas

UFWDJRj.jpg

I second that I'm not really sure how having "game paused" in the log is helpful. Should we also put "game resumed" in there? Then, every single time you pause the game, you're adding two lines to the combat log. To what end? Do we have time-stamp info as to exactly when the game was paused? If not, then all you can learn is when it was paused relative to what else happened. "Okay, that fireball hasn't hit us yet." But, even then, that's not intuitive all the time.

It just seems like an awfully mild benefit, at an awfully steep (lots of extra lines scrolling) cost.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Do you really need words in the middle of the screen telling you the game is paused if nothing is moving and the sound isn't playing ?

Yes. I often play with headphones and pause to do things like roll a cigarette, make tea, etc.--during which activities I often take off the headphones. So at those times the sound doesn't help; the movement is subtle enough to miss at a quick glance, especially if you have bad eye sight. But "GAME PAUSED" draws your eye.

Do you really need words in the middle of the screen telling you the game is paused if nothing is moving and the sound isn't playing ?

Yes. I often play with headphones and pause to do things like roll a cigarette, make tea, etc.--during which activities I often take off the headphones. So at those times the sound doesn't help; the movement is subtle enough to miss at a quick glance, especially if you have bad eye sight. But "GAME PAUSED" draws your eye.

Making games for the lowest common denominator and catering to every whim? Yes please!

I say to make the "game paused" message in bright neon lights that pulses to the tune of Pitbull's latest hit.

What? BG had just some gears that stopped moving when the game was paused?

Frack that!

What did those bozos knew about proper game design back in the late nighties?

• Like 1

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

I don't mind it if the paused is on the screen rather than the combat log, but purely because thee log is far too cluttered just now. Even then, I could take either log or on the screen quite happily.

My Blind Journey through the Beta. Join my transgender Paladin as I struggle to get to grips with the game and its mechanics. Well, I never said my first journey into an isometric RPG would be smooth, now did I?

My Adventure through Baldur's Gate. Inspired by my play of PoE, I decide to pick up a much fabled game of the genre. Join Solana as I delve into this world of weird, wonderful and annoying people.

Pitbull can take a funny run :p Once the combat log settles down and stops behaving like a Boo on a sugar rush, then I would be happy to add stuff to it. That and I'm easy to please and im used to games plastering paused on the screen XD I'm no hardcore IE plays so things like this don't bother me.

• Like 1

I second that I'm not really sure how having "game paused" in the log is helpful. Should we also put "game resumed" in there? Then, every single time you pause the game, you're adding two lines to the combat log. To what end? Do we have time-stamp info as to exactly when the game was paused? If not, then all you can learn is when it was paused relative to what else happened. "Okay, that fireball hasn't hit us yet." But, even then, that's not intuitive all the time.

It just seems like an awfully mild benefit, at an awfully steep (lots of extra lines scrolling) cost.

It worked fine in the IE games. My best argument- I'm used to it. But thanks to all of you, for pointing out, that it is really not-so-important-ish ...

Edited by Cluas

UFWDJRj.jpg

It doesn't have to be a huge deal to be improvable. That's the nature of programming, really: efficiency. It may not be the end of the world that you're using 100 lines of code instead of 92 for a given function, but why not explore the possibility of using fewer instead of more, and having time shaved off of loading every time that function is called, etc.?

You're not going to die if rain strikes your head, but why not carry an umbrella if it's going to rain? :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Making games for the lowest common denominator and catering to every whim? Yes please!

I say to make the "game paused" message in bright neon lights that pulses to the tune of Pitbull's latest hit.

What? BG had just some gears that stopped moving when the game was paused?

Frack that!

What did those bozos knew about proper game design back in the late nighties?

Lowest common denominator? I use headphones and have bad eyesight. I am hardly the exception, let alone the worst idiot who might play this game. Regardless, this is a game which relies heavily on pause as part of the gameplay; letting people know when the game is paused in an obvious but non-intrusive fashion is a good idea. The IE gear set-up was a good way of doing that, but PoE doesn't have any such thing built in.

Beyond all of that, when we're talking UI you *SHOULD* be building for lowest common denominator, though of course you want to stay within your design, flavor, specific requirements of your software, etc. (thus your ridiculous flashing neon...thing...is revealed for the clearly exaggerated straw-man it is). This is simple and basic programming principle; you don't want a potential customer not playing your game because of a simple UI problem. The problem comes when major companies apply this principle to things beyond UI; stuff like story, character, gameplay mechanics, etc or when it get's exaggerated to such an extent that UI is so simple that it's not capable of carrying out the basic functions of the software.

Some stuff should most certainly NOT be designed in this manner. However, the UI should *ALWAYS* be as simple, clear, and efficient as possible; it should be designed to contain all the information deemed necessary in a manner that is as clear and easily understood as possible to the largest number of potential players as possible. *GAME PAUSED* may not be the most elegant solution to the problem, but it's certainly better than an easily-missed two words of text in a window that might not even be open, or a total lack of feedback on one of the most basic and vital functions that the entire game is based around.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 3

I also use headphones and have poor eyesight so I appreciate anything that helps me such as Game Paused.   It used primarily for combat and therefore I do not find it intrusive.  No it isn't elegant but is for me quite useful. :)

No neon fleshing lights for me, Please.  That would be intrusive.

Edited by Nakia

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping the thread so that forum members who have recently come to the forum in expectation of the release date can see it and hopefully support, and add to my suggestions. :) I'd also like to ask if the developers are intent on implementing any of the suggestions made by everyone here in the final game. I don't see any changes to the combat log in the latest BB and I'm getting worried. The combat log is a really important tool for me, and I guess for many players, especially the less experienced.

• Like 2

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png