What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

I just picked up Massive Chalice, it was 25% off on Steam.  It sounds like a great concept, it will be interesting if they can pull it off.  I'm still a bit sore about Spacebase, but I'll give Double Fine another chance since they've done some good stuff.

I just picked up Massive Chalice, it was 25% off on Steam.  It sounds like a great concept, it will be interesting if they can pull it off.  I'm still a bit sore about Spacebase, but I'll give Double Fine another chance since they've done some good stuff.

I won't boycott them or anything, but I will wait for their products to ship in its final state before considering buying their games. IE, I will buy Grim Fandango Remastered, but I will not buy Massive Chalice any time soon.

After their mismanagement of Broken Age (aka Double Fine Adventure) and the Spacebase DF9 fiasco, I wouldn't even consider getting a game from Double Fine before it's finished, since I've lost all faith in the company.  That said, I've heard good things about Massive Chalice, so maybe Tim Schafer was hands off enough with this project that it managed to stay more or less on track.  Hopefully it turns out to be a good game, it certainly looks interesting.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Some of the main quests in Far Cry 4 are just dumb.  For starters, the wingsuit is clunky and hard to control.  So having an entire "escape" level of navigating it through rocks where you die instantly if you collide with them isn't fun.

The side quest stuff is just so much better than the stuff you have to do in the main quests.  It's like the side quests let you do all the cool stuff, while the main quests are full of the silly little features they added to the game but actually suck.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I binged my way through Wolfenstein, collecting upgrades, enigma codes, unlocking every perk except most of the explosion ones.

Then right at the final boss, the game crashes and messes up my profile file. I fight the final boss on the I AM DEATH INCARNATE difficulty with nothing. And there's no way to get it back other than starting over. I can't even use chapter select.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I binged my way through Wolfenstein, collecting upgrades, enigma codes, unlocking every perk except most of the explosion ones.

Then right at the final boss, the game crashes and messes up my profile file. I fight the final boss on the I AM DEATH INCARNATE difficulty with nothing. And there's no way to get it back other than starting over. I can't even use chapter select.

Holy Smoke, that would have completely frustrated me. How many hours did you spend playing the game to the point of the crash?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I play CS GO, game is good but my pc isn't enought good for it, im getting about 100fps in competitive, all setings are low and res is 800x600. I like to play with my friends. If anyone needs help to get a better performance in game i will help, if you use a Windows 7 :)

• Like 1

i understand that if you have no frame drops and it runs smoothly is better but if you can play stable at 60 fps or stable at 100, does it really make a difference? i know that between 30 and 60 it becomes easier on the eyes and is more fluid but beyond that i dont feel like there is much to gain... at least i dont see a difference since the last upgrade to my pc when i got about 30-40fps increase for most games

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

if you can play stable at 60 fps or stable at 100, does it really make a difference?

Far as I'm concerned ... no. I keep most games with a forced fps 60 cap, after having one game where mega-high fps = overheating GPU. :p More than 60 does, of course, give you more "cushion" in case you do run into some fps spiking, so some may like higher for that reason alone.

That said, I've heard if your monitor is 120hz that it can make a difference. I do not have a 120 monitor so can't confirm or deny. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I started to play Metro 2033 Redux on my Linux machine then stopped.  The game runs fine and the graphics are amazing, but there are several problems.  First off, the graphical options are as follows:

Overall graphical quality

SSAA

Texture Filtering

Motion Blur

VSYNC

That's it, that's all of it.  There isn't even a ****ING separate selection for ****ing resolution.  WHAT THE ****!?  Apparently, resolution is tied in to overall graphics?  What kind of crap is that?  I figured out how to change it in the config file, but still, that is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

More so, the game does not recognize my extra mouse buttons.  I have a 5 button mouse (works just fine with all other games), but anything beyond mouse1, mouse2, and the scroll wheel button (mouse 3) are invisible.  What ****ing year is this, 1993?  5+ button mice have existed for ****ing DECADES!  What kind of lazy ****ing **** is this?

For anyone wanting to play this game on Linux, know this, the port is garbage.  Absolute ****ing garbage.

Anyway, in the more positive realm of things, I plan to restart Jagged Alliance Flashback.  Not due to any fault of the game (other than explaining mechanics) but due to my own negligence.  I didn't understand/remember all mechanics early on which caused me to neglect doing some things that would benefit me greatly now and are 100x harder to do now.  I could continue and persevere with a handicap, but I'll wuss out and start over.  I figure it's better to start over now while still early, than have to start over later.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Holy Smoke, that would have completely frustrated me. How many hours did you spend playing the game to the point of the crash?

I don't know how many hours.

But I do know that I decided to see if I could salvage something by playing around with it. I loaded up the save, told it to restart the level, hoping I could at least salvage the weapon upgrades. Instead I lost the save file too when it crashed again at the same point. 

Good news is that the game is designed for at least two playthroughs. So I'm doing Wyatt timeline and seeing what's different.

Since the crash was reproducible, I've reinstalled it and the update.

• Like 1

But I do know that I decided to see if I could salvage something by playing around with it. I loaded up the save, told it to restart the level, hoping I could at least salvage the weapon upgrades. Instead I lost the save file too when it crashed again at the same point. 

Good news is that the game is designed for at least two playthroughs. So I'm doing Wyatt timeline and seeing what's different.

I can't recall there being any difference between the two timelines, other than the "special" skill each teaches you.

Story-wise, I can't remember anything noticeable other than whatever cutscenes you have with that specific character.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Massive Chalice is pretty great.  Not really much in terms of strategic fighting, but the lineage stuff is perfect.  It does seem like a pretty small game in scope, I wonder if they will expand it?

I read that they are going to add hybrid classes to the game. I don't have the link right now, but I read it over at NeoGAF. Sounded like it could add a little variety to your roster. I think they said 6 hybrid classes.

Played WoW PvP mainly this weekend, forgot how much I missed the whining and abuse in chat. Almost makes one understand mass murder.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I can't recall there being any difference between the two timelines, other than the "special" skill each teaches you.

Story-wise, I can't remember anything noticeable other than whatever cutscenes you have with that specific character.

Health upgrades vs. armor upgrades. Lockpicking vs hotwiring (you mentioned) opens up a few different areas. Tekla vs J.

Cosmetic for the most part, but still interesting to find new shortcuts every couple of levels.

Project Zomboid.

What is it? Probably the best survival game I've played. Though, if NEO Scavenger had been Multiplayer, it'd probably have taken this spot.

I've got to say, after having played some great survival games (NEO Scavenger, Project Zomboid, The Forest, The Long Dark and... well... Dead State*), and then playing Darklands, I'm like "Where is my food meter? Morale meter? Crafting...???" and then I'm hit with the realization "Wait wait, this isn't Project Zomboid..... damn!".

If Obsidian (Josh, really) ever makes a Darklands esque historical RPG, I do hope he looks into survival mechanics. Medieval tymes were hard to live in after all... hmmmmmmmmm... *goes to the Obsidian's next kickstarter thread*

GAH! Imagine if Darklands+Project Zomboid had a child <3 <3 that'd be like, GotC right there (Game of the Century).

* Dead State is all about long-term survival, which is cool, but the short-term/day-to-day survival elements is kind of "meh".

• Like 2

I felt it was too easy to survive in Project Zomboid. At the moment I've had my small house fenced off and some plants growing, I pretty much had it all done. So yeah, find an axe and a good location to build a wall around and you are good to go.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I felt it was too easy to survive in Project Zomboid. At the moment I've had my small house fenced off and some plants growing, I pretty much had it all done. So yeah, find an axe and a good location to build a wall around and you are good to go.

Thats interesting, I was always under the impression that death was inevitable in Project Zomboid. But it seems like you have found a way of long term survival ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

In Singleplayer, yes. If you are patient, you're going to have an extremely easy time. BUT! They will add NPC's who will run around and mess with you and even help you. That's a factor that's going to make Singleplayer much better. I've also seen videos where a Player is being attacked by a massive horde of zombies (covering the entire screen), so I'm getting the feeling that if you survive for long enough, you'll get attacked regardless where you place yourself. His base was in the middle of the forest.

How long did you survive?

But... Multiplayer is where it's really at, at the moment. It's much harder to survive, and like many games, much more fun to play (because other players). The best server I managed to get on was a private server, where there was no loot respawns whatsoever. Public servers can be a bit "Meh", but it's still fun if you manage to find awesome people to play with (10 out of 10 times, each interaction has been great... well, save for one which was a bit... meh, the same guy was respawning over and over because I killed him, after he was stealing all my stuff).

For several reasons:

A) Mostly all the really good stuff is gone, making it much more of a challenge.

B) Time has passed a lot, so you're entering into a post-apocalyptic world that has been going for quite some time, vine's growing on walls, weeds and bushes. More destruction and burnt down houses and general chaos. Playing in Multiplayer generates their own stories a la "Someone was here" or "Something happened here". Like, seeing someone's house flooded with zombies, walls taken down and general degeneration.

C) Player interaction (if you're playing on a RP server). Betrayals, friendships, group scavenging, banter, intrigue and much more. I've had so many epic moments on RP servers with other people and also by myself. In single player it's like "Meh", because if you survive the impossible in Singleplayer, you don't really have anyone to share it with.

Footnote: This thing isn't even finished and it is already amazing. The core-gameplay and world is really good. Mods are flourishing and they will only flourish more and more as time passes, and when the game is released it'll only get even more. The core-mechanics are easy to build on top of as well. Vehicles and NPC's is something the devs want to add in. The community is really nice and friendly, and so are the Developers. I don't know 100% what it is about it, but there is so much heart in it.

For instance, in Fallout or Skyrim you have to mod it to become immersively survival-esque, and it still doesn't manage to even get close to Project Zomboid's system.

EDIT: You can also now invite your friends/family to play local on one machine as well to get a co-op experience :) I get the feeling this game will be ported to consoles in the future, if it's not already on the table for the future after the PC release.

Edited by Osvir

Thats interesting, I was always under the impression that death was inevitable in Project Zomboid. But it seems like you have found a way of long term survival ?

It's called "being a badass with an axe" and it's pretty effective in various sub-genres of horror games, movies and television.

• Like 2

... and like many games, much more fun to play (because other players).

I just wish more games would go back to/have simple LAN capability, vs. having to be on an online server. Some games are definitely more fun with friends, but we don't all want to play random MP's or always be online, or have to create/rent a server, or whatever. Sigh.

Being MP doesn't really make a game harder per se in a lot of these survival games...being PvP does. Unfortunately, PvP also means a bunch of chuckleheads who like to kill naked newbies for the lol's, which is really annoying and a main reason I don't like random-server MP.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

They needed to add more commentary during the radio broadcasts in Far Cry 4.  The guy repeats the same dialogue endlessly until you finish another part of the story.

... and like many games, much more fun to play (because other players).

I just wish more games would go back to/have simple LAN capability, vs. having to be on an online server. Some games are definitely more fun with friends, but we don't all want to play random MP's or always be online, or have to create/rent a server, or whatever. Sigh.

Being MP doesn't really make a game harder per se in a lot of these survival games...being PvP does. Unfortunately, PvP also means a bunch of chuckleheads who like to kill naked newbies for the lol's, which is really annoying and a main reason I don't like random-server MP.

There's co-op, "LAN". Hotseat. I'm not 100% sure but... Hamachi or other Virtual LAN software might be a solution for you, if it works. I haven't looked into it myself (well, now I have). I disagree about PvP being what makes Project Zomboid harder in MP. Maybe in other games, but not what I have seen thus far (out of 150-ish hours of game time). It's just one element that makes it "harder" (I'd say.. "Intense"). Though, I mostly play on RP servers, and people are much more inclined to create some... interactions rather than just "Kill kill kill". There are PvP servers, there are PvE servers. There are servers that are Easy-Mode (Respawning Loot) and there are servers that are Hard-Mode (No respawning loot). The latter is more fun as it is more immersive/thematic. I also met someone who talked about competitive servers~

There's also private servers that you can apply for and such. Mostly though, Project Zomboid has a rather big map, so even if it is a full server (of 64 players) there's two large towns (plus 2 extra city mods) and you don't necessarily run into people all the time. And if you do run into people, it's not always that they are meanies. One important aspect I have learned is that, if you encounter anyone, at any time, just keep your distance.

I've met 3 people out of like 20-25 people I've met in Project Zomboid that have been going after me (everyone else have been really helpful and fun to play with). One was named "Random Cannibal" and he was circling my house/fence for like ever. It was epic, and he was creepy, reaaaallly creepy, but it was amazing (and after his death, he had left creepy notes). The other one was the thief who took stuff from me who I caught red-handed, and he kept recreating his character. The third guy was just some random running around attacking people (I suppose, that's what he did against me), nothing special but I chugged an axe into him and ran away, bandaged my wounds, and later heard a scream in the distance (that's how you can know someone died). Later found his body too.

It can be fairly easy to run away/get away from people who want to kill you too, as your cone of vision is only in front of you. That's how I've gotten bit or scratched by zombies several times. Like, I was fishing, me and this guy were talking (RP) and we were talking about how nice it was to be out of the city, no zombies etc. next second I hear the bite sound, "CRAP!" and there it was, behind us xD I didn't want to die with my character, but it was still an epic turn of events.

Roleplay servers FTW! :D

In summary:

- There are PvE Servers

- There are PvP Servers

- There is LAN, Co-Op, Hotseat

- There is RP Servers

- There are Private Servers (Which you apply for)

Loot Respawn servers are common, "No Loot" is uncommon. Pick your flavor.

Edited by Osvir