What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

I'm up to 27 stars in The Talos Principle.  Of the presumably 3 remaining stars, I know the general areas where 2 of them are, though I have not actually seen them.  I can only give the most uneducated of guesses as to where the last remaining star is.  Wherever it is, Croteam hid it really well.

Game looks fantastic, but the demo gameplay I've seen has that awful tinge of simulator sickness that tells me I'd not be able to play it for more than a few minutes a day. :(

Is it the 1st person view?  It plays like any 1st person shooter, minus the shooting.  There is a free demo available, it's called The Talos Principle Public Test, on Steam.  You can try it out yourself and find out if it makes you ill.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Finally was able to play Far Cry 4.  Had to change my settings for my PS4 to not automatically connect to the internet in order to do so.  Very early in the game -- so I can't really comment one way or the other about it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm up to 27 stars in The Talos Principle.  Of the presumably 3 remaining stars, I know the general areas where 2 of them are, though I have not actually seen them.  I can only give the most uneducated of guesses as to where the last remaining star is.  Wherever it is, Croteam hid it really well.

Game looks fantastic, but the demo gameplay I've seen has that awful tinge of simulator sickness that tells me I'd not be able to play it for more than a few minutes a day. :(

Is it the 1st person view?  It plays like any 1st person shooter, minus the shooting.  There is a free demo available, it's called The Talos Principle Public Test, on Steam.  You can try it out yourself and find out if it makes you ill.

No, it's not the FPP, it's that the engine design [or settings] of some games directly cause this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulator_sickness

Not every FPP game does this. I am not really sure of the exact cause; it might be the FoV, might be the frame ~or refresh rate... I dunno. Battlefield 1942 did this for me; quake 2; rise of the Triad ~a little bit. Bobbing [of the view, while running] is said to sometimes lessen the effect. games with slick frictionless movement can cause this.

It's not so common with major AAA titles (that I've played) ~probably because they test the hell out of it and catch that before release.  Serious Sam 1 & 2 did not have this issue, but both gameplay reviews that I watched of TALOS certainly did.  It starts as a mild headache, and quickly progresses to serious discomfort and the can cause one to lose their lunch. The effect lasts a while after you quit watching; it becomes painful if one doesn't quit watching.

Once [somewhere] I read speculation that the mind takes what it's seeing as impossible, and assumes that you've that poisoned [drugged] yourself and starts getting ready to empty the stomach.

* It's not impossible that the Youtube video itself partly contributed to this, so perhaps I will try the demo anyway.

Edited by Gizmo

No, it's not the FPP, it's that the engine design [or settings] of some games directly cause this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulator_sickness

Not every FPP game does this. I am not really sure of the exact cause; it might be the FoV, might be the frame ~or refresh rate... I dunno. Battlefield 1942 did this for me; quake 2; rise of the Triad ~a little bit. Bobbing [of the view, while running] is said to sometimes lessen the effect. games with slick frictionless movement can cause this.

It's not so common with major AAA titles (that I've played) ~probably because they test the hell out of it and catch that before release.  Serious Sam 1 & 2 did not have this issue, but both gameplay reviews that I watched of TALOS certainly did.  It starts as a mild headache, and quickly progresses to serious discomfort and the can cause one to lose their lunch. The effect lasts a while after you quit watching; it becomes painful if one doesn't quit watching.

Once [somewhere] I read speculation that the mind takes what it's seeing as impossible, and assumes that you've that poisoned [drugged] yourself and starts getting ready to empty the stomach.

* It's not impossible that the Youtube video itself partly contributed to this, so perhaps I will try the demo anyway.

For what it's worth, the game (as well as the demo) has a FoV slider (something every 1st person view game ever made should have).  I'm not sure if that would get rid of the effect, but I thought I'd mention it.  While I don't get simulator sickness myself, I generally like to turn the FoV up in games to anywhere from 90 to 105 depending on the game (they usually default to around 75).  I played this particular game at 90, it felt the most "natural" to me.  You can turn FoV up as high as 120 in this game.  You can also play the game in 3rd person view.

Anyway, I finished the game today and saw 2 of the endings.  Turns out that I was wrong and you can go back to an earlier save as the autosaves don't overwrite but always create new entries.  They called loading an earlier save "Restore Backup" rather than "Load Game" which is why I didn't notice it before.  This option made it easy for me to see multiple endings (as opposed to having to replay the whole game again, even if I could probably breeze through the puzzles in a couple of hours now), including what I can only assume is the "real ending".  I'll hop back in tomorrow and check out another ending, I'm pretty sure there is at least one more.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I don't know if this is the best place to ask this, but does anyone recommend the Long Dark?  It's on special from STEAM and I'm thinking about picking it up.  I like the idea of survival against nature.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Zombie Apocalypse stuff, but this looks like it has some potential.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Lots of Dawn of War 2 since my friend finally wanted to play through the campaign in co-op. There's a trend where he gets a new character that isn't Tarkus or Force Commander, hates it, then I put some of my previous gameplay experience to use and demolish the next mission with that character.

Even Thule had to go through the motions. The magic phrase for him is "avoid enemy rockets like the plague and your Dreadnaught doesn't get instagibbed"

Still an amazing game.

• Like 1

Yup, that's right, still 7DtD.

I was playing it the other day, carving out my own grandiose Mines of Moria, when the thought occurred to me that what the game really needs are some friendly zombie imps to do the digging for me, so my chr. could just sit on top of a 3 story tower, sipping tea. Then it would be the perfect game.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finished Shadow Warrior.
All around a surprisingly good game, though enemy variety really started to get old in the second half. And the lame bullfight minibosses.
And after the beautiful Japanese areas we got awesome industrial maps. Because those are never boring.

Anyway, story was pretty good, gameplay was mostly fun. 8/10 Would Sequelize.

• Like 1

I broke down and installed Grim Dawn. "I'll just try it out for a bit".. I think I'm nearing the end of chapter 1 now.

It's a good game.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Walking Dead Season 2, finally hitting new territory.

Episode 1 was kind of dull, but 2 was better. Good enough that I went ahead and splurged on The Wolf Among Us and Tales of the Borderlands.

Ooh, I forgot about Game of Thrones. Any opinions on it?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i restarted Ys origins at hard because a certain boss at nightmare was pretty much unbeatable. it feels so easy in comparison, that if at the save screen did not say "hard" i would think i set the "easy" difficulty.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

lol I thought about what you said, Hurlie ol' sod, and so I decided to purchase the Long Dark last night, but we were out until after midnight.  When I got home, I forgot to buy it.  So, I got up this morning and did stuff and whatnot and remembered only at that point I thought the special was over.  Nope, I bought it with three minutes to spare!  I won't be able to play it much for a while, but since it's early access I'll probably just tool around in the sandbox for a bit and then hit it hard when it actually 'ships.'

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I hate the arrow shooters/spear throwers in Shadow of Mordor.  They're annoying as all hell, especially when I'm engaged in melee combat with a group of 10 orcs already.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Defenders are the worst. Defenders that prevent you from jumping over them are SGDW$G$#$^##$#!ETRETWRTHWRGHSNF.

Ranged guys are easy enough, they tend to shoot their own dudes if I'm surrounded. Though I did have trouble with one crossbowman who was also a combat master that I fought in the open. His only weakness was explosions.

You've got to lure them to other parts, campfires work.

A fun game of EU4 now. I thought I was ok as Russia, what with Finland being my ally to the north and guarding there and with Lithuania being calmed by my allies Poland and Austria behind them. So I went to beat up Asians and get their land when things unravelled - first, Poland decides to start about 3 major wars dragging me in (I didn't want to lose them as an ally) and then finally Ottomans invade. 

Hooray for defensive ideas though, in the end I managed to make the Ottomans bleed with attrition, smashed their big stack with mine and got Austria to help.  They went from 400k manpower at the start to about 12k in the end.  Didn't gain any land, but bloodying their nose like that was fun.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Asseto Corsa with the Oculus. Pain to setup, but once it's running it's worth it. Being able to sit in a Ferrari coc-kpit with full head tracking, and able to lean around and look at all the buttons and controls from any angle, and stick your head outside the window. This is the only racing game I know of where in coc-kpit view, you can side glance at your tires while driving to make sure they are aligning with the road lines. Now all I need is to ditch the 360 controller and get a pc steering wheel lol

Edited by Bokishi
  • Like 1