What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Having a lot of fun with Shadow Warrior (2013) after I solved various tech problems.  I'm constantly frustrated by otherwise good PC releases being plagued with stutter and performance issues, it's a damn good job I almost always wait for sales.

I'd recommend this game if you currently have low expectations of absolutely everything and want to be pleasantly surprised.  I didn't expect the swordplay to be much fun but hacking the living **** out of things feel so good, the plot is also entertaining in a comic book way.

Decided to play Skyrim again after having not played it for 2 years.  Bethesda does some things wrong, but world building isn't one of them.  In terms of the scenery itself, the landscape (ie. trees, mountains, buildings) look more like a painting than "realistic", but they still are able to capture the epicness of the world nicely.

The dialogue still is meh, though.

I play Bethesda games for the experience of wandering a vaguely believable world, they really do that stuff quite well.  Story-wise Morrowind is the only one that utterly yanked my nuts off with a rope made of excellence, no nostalgia involved as I first played it in 2010.

I'm playing hate the *insert an endless stream of cursewords* who ruined my christmas by DDosing PSN.

Yeah, PSN being down is really screwing with my ability to play my games today.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm playing hate the *insert an endless stream of cursewords* who ruined my christmas by DDosing PSN.

Can we blame this on North Korea?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If it makes you folks feel better, my children have kept me from playing my games by hogging the main TV.  Also, they've been able to play Super Smash Bros. and Skylanders Trap Team with no problem.

It's hard to find a better example of the childishness of hackers than trying to ruin Christmas morning for a bunch of people.  It's literally a Dr. Seuss book.  You're a mean one, Mr. Lizard.

Still playing The Talos Principle.  I got 2 more stars today, bringing me up to 24.  6 more to go.  I know the location of 2 of them, where the other 4 are... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can encourage myself whenever I get super stuck by remembering the puzzles I've been stuck for long periods of time, sometimes well over an hour or even multiple hours, that I've already conquered.  Those star puzzles are devious.  I've almost broken down and looked up a guide a couple of times, but I haven't given in yet and I won't.  I'm so close to solving every single puzzle in the game (including optional ones) all by myself, I can't give in now.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Last of Us Remastered. One of 2012/2013's trio of what I like to refer to as "dad games." I'm just about finished with the Hunter checkpoint section. I hate how there's scripted combat sections. This one had two waves. You kill everyone by stealth in wave 1 and right when you think it's okay to relax, they spawn in a new wave all over the map. Had to fight my way through that one head-on.

I'm also playing Walking Dead season 1. One of the other two "dad games," this one also about a zombie apocalypse.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The Last of Us Remastered. One of 2012/2013's trio of what I like to refer to as "dad games." I'm just about finished with the Hunter checkpoint section. I hate how there's scripted combat sections. This one had two waves. You kill everyone by stealth in wave 1 and right when you think it's okay to relax, they spawn in a new wave all over the map. Had to fight my way through that one head-on.

I'm also playing Walking Dead season 1. One of the other two "dad games," this one also about a zombie apocalypse.

The only part in that entire game I loathe playing through is the Ellie fight with the "boss" on that one level.  Largely because I suck at tossing distractions and using the distraction to sneak up behind them.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Playing through some Shadow of Mordor.  I gotta admit I'm just going around killing things.  I should have probably paid more attention, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do other than kill "captains".

I can't even start a game of Far Cry 4.  It gets to the starting screen and after I press the X for start, it hangs up at "logging in."  The music keeps playing, but nothing happens.

What the hell?

Still playing The Talos Principle.  I got 2 more stars today, bringing me up to 24.  6 more to go.  I know the location of 2 of them, where the other 4 are... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can encourage myself whenever I get super stuck by remembering the puzzles I've been stuck for long periods of time, sometimes well over an hour or even multiple hours, that I've already conquered.  Those star puzzles are devious.  I've almost broken down and looked up a guide a couple of times, but I haven't given in yet and I won't.  I'm so close to solving every single puzzle in the game (including optional ones) all by myself, I can't give in now.

I would brofist this if I could. I have similar bouts in SpaceChem, some levels take 4-5 hours to solve. Soldier on, bro. :banghead:

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

So GTA V is fantastic.  The controls are super confusing and give me fits (where is the easy mode) but the story, characters, and world are brilliantly realized.  I also have to play it late at night when the children are fast asleep.  I woke up at 5 AM to play this morning and my son finally cracked open the door around 7 and caught his dad jacking cars are living out his Boyz in the Hood fantasies.  It went too fast.

I also grabbed Avernum: Escape from the Pit and played for awhile.  It looks much better with the remastered stuff.  

• Like 1

Finished Last of Us Remastered. Hate Naughty Dog and their collectibles, apparently I missed 50 of the blasted things, over a third. Where the heck do they hide them?

Not ready to play Left Behind, I'll finish up The Walking Dead Season 1 first.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

GTA V continues to entertain.  I decided it was time to visit the therapist, and sure enough I got called on the carpet for taking a working girl home.  Hey, I was still upset that my wife was getting extra lessons from the tennis pro!  This game is masterful.

Just a flight of stairs left before the end of EoB2 for me; [that and the dragon].

Well that's just cheating...there's a difference between horribly cheap tactics and an "I Win" button. Hell, part of the fun of Infinity Engine games is finding new and unique forms of cheese (remember the old "Chain Contigency + Project Image" trick?)

Oddly enough, I had just finished Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition prior, and this sort of strategy would not have worked there. Black Isle evidently anticipated this, and so if you attack one member of a group of enemies, they will all come after you, even if you can't see them.

This is something I absolutely hated in IWD2.  You could send your thief out scouting ~but why bother; if they were ever spotted anywhere ~and managed to hide again... The enemies would then 'conga-line' a path through any terrain ~even to the other side of the map and attack your spell casters even if the party was completely hidden from view. It was ridiculous.... They would have had to be on a different map to remain hidden!

Edited by Gizmo

I'm up to 27 stars in The Talos Principle.  Of the presumably 3 remaining stars, I know the general areas where 2 of them are, though I have not actually seen them.  I can only give the most uneducated of guesses as to where the last remaining star is.  Wherever it is, Croteam hid it really well.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I'm up to 27 stars in The Talos Principle.  Of the presumably 3 remaining stars, I know the general areas where 2 of them are, though I have not actually seen them.  I can only give the most uneducated of guesses as to where the last remaining star is.  Wherever it is, Croteam hid it really well.

Game looks fantastic, but the demo gameplay I've seen has that awful tinge of simulator sickness that tells me I'd not be able to play it for more than a few minutes a day. :(