What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

i just finished Risen 2. they really tried to do something too big for a small studio and it backfired, just like gothic 3. it is overall a decent game, but the feeling i got throughout was that they tried to include too many "ingredients" in a small pot and ended up putting in too little of each. and talk about anticlimactic final battle... in the first game it wasnt much better, but at least you had to cross a mega dungeon to reach it. here you arrive at the place, kill 5 enemies, walk up some stairs and you are in the boss' room (and the boss is not harder to beat than any humanoid enemy... doesnt even have any special attacks, its just a regular sword fight)

Anticlimactic yes, but I'll take that over Risen 1's endgame.  That mega dungeon, as you put it, was pure tedious torture, as far as I'm concerned.  I hate the endgame of Risen 1 with a passion.  I found it so excruciating that I wouldn't wish it upon my enemies.

what i liked about the dungeon is that it presented a chalenge for all the hard earned combat experience you (with the controls) and your character (levels, skills, spells) have gained durring the rest of the game. in 2, from the moment you get a musket and a couple of related skills, you can kite the world, final boss included

now im off to start bioshock infinite

Risen 2 has massive balance problems.  Muskets are insanely overpowered and voodoo is hilariously ineffective in most situations.  Despite how grossly underpowered it is, voodoo is a heck of a lot more fun to play with than muskets, in my opinion, making the voodoo path not only far more challenging, but also more fun.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've been playing Dragon Age Inquisition for over 100 hours now and there are still at least 3 entire areas I haven't been to yet and I think about half the main quest path still to do. This game is taking over my life.

Seriously.  I think this game has more content than any previous Bioware game.

Dragon Age Inquisition.

I've plugged In around 107 hours so far, I've pretty much cleared most of the sites, working on the Hissing Wastes at the moment. I've got the Forbidden Oasis to wrap up when I find the last 6 shards I need in the Hissing Wastes.

I seem to have found 8 or 9 pieces of every Mosaic. Which leaves 2 or 3 for each one. Not sure whether I'll really plug in the effort to find those.. but I've pretty much covered the "map all regions", "establish every camp", "mark all resources" and "find all landmarks".  Just a few missing from all sites.Taken out 8 of the dragons...

Wrapped up the Winter Palace, and the first part of the warden plot in the Western Approach. Have to do the big assault piece and find out what that opens up..

With the sheer amount of quarries and lumber resources you find, and the fact you only need a couple to perform the 3 upgrades of Skyhold you can, I get a feeling that potential future dlc will expand options for what can be done with Skyhold.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Keep in mind that some mosaic pieces are bugged. There's two bugged pieces in Hinterlands, though one of the two is still accessible.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Playing Dead State. It's enjoyable enough and I certainly don't regret spending the money on it (might have, marginally, if I hadn't kickstarted it but bought it full price) but it is what I'd call an 80% game- it's 80% of the way towards being excellent but everything is just a little bit more flawed than it should be, from combat to conversations and the character system. I haven't hit a single bug so far though, so in that respect it is excellent.

Still The Talos Principle.  I'm mostly down to collecting stars now.  Many of these are insanely tricky.  There's one I've bashed my head against for well over an hour and gotten nowhere.  Still, I managed to get 2 more stars today and I'm not going to give in and look up a guide.  I'll get all of these myself if it takes me 1000 hours.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Elite. Still learning the ropes but it sounds like it will scratch the space sim itch

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Still 7DtD ... although, as predicted, the constant updating is starting to annoy. Not because of any changes, those are pretty minor most of the time (or are good changes). It's the starting over. I like starting fresh, but when I'm ready, not because of savegame compatibility. Next time I think I won't update immediately.

I need to check out The Long Dark again too, they've had several updates I think. See if the wolves are still things that suck the fun out of it too fast. I liked everything about that game, except dying to a wolf every 10-15 minutes. Course, I probably just suck. I find I'm more and more awful at combat related things in games, especially panic-type combat. Eyes and reflexes I suppose. :cat:

P.S. - I've looked at the Talos Principle. I'm undecided. The last time I loved a "puzzle" game was Myst, with the adventure/mystery about it (I tried Portal, wasn't my thing). Not generally into what's considered puzzle-games now. But it sure looks pretty and sound rather neat.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Bought Shadowrun Returns and SR: Dragonfall at a holiday discount. About halfway into Shadowrun Returns.

Like:

- Graphics: huge amount of props, lots of environment animation

- Art: colorful cyberpunk, good approximation of existing Shadowrun book art

- UI: clean, simple

- Characters: mostly well written

- Combat: engaging, no trash fights

- Combat subgames: rigger, decker, summoning

Dislike:

- Story: rigid, jerky ("you go here next")

- Advancement: another system that works great in tabletop, less so on computer

- Economy: weird and limiting

- Items: pure tier progression, like in MMOs

I'm enjoying it, it's great for a single playthrough.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I enjoyed Shadowrun Returns also (especially how the story started, more of a dirty "noir" thing rather than some epic thing) though it's pretty limited.

Dragonfall is *much* better overall though, especially the Director's Cut.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I've been playing Dragon Age Inquisition for over 100 hours now and there are still at least 3 entire areas I haven't been to yet and I think about half the main quest path still to do. This game is taking over my life.

Seriously.  I think this game has more content than any previous Bioware game.

Filler content, yes.  Way more fetch quests than I remember, plus things to collect like shards and whatnot.  But, IMO, the main quest/personal sidequests were a lot shorter than the previous two Dragon Age games.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Woot!  Got 2 more stars in The Talos Principle today, which brings my total up to 16.  I know there are at least 20 to collect as there are at least 2 gates which require 10 stars each to open.  One of the stars I found and got fairly quickly, the second one took me about an hour to figure out.  It was fiendishly tricky and hidden.  To Croteam's credit, they do give you a clue a about what needs to be done.  It is a very subtle clue, but it is there.  Getting that star was super duper satisfying.  I feel like a million bucks now.  :biggrin:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Started Dragon Age Origins with the intent of using this story for Dragon Age Keep and do the same when I play a game of Dragon Age2.

Wow its like going from a Mercedes (DAI) to beaten up Chevy (DAO).

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Started Dragon Age Origins with the intent of using this story for Dragon Age Keep and do the same when I play a game of Dragon Age2.

Enjoy the blood splattered golf cart (DA2)

• Like 2

So in the past two days I've beaten Dragon Age Inquisition, got the last few trophies for Shadow of Mordor, started and beaten Valiant Hearts.

Now I'm starting Last of Us Remastered. It looks... off. Is it too crisp or what? I'm inclined to turn on my PS3 copy just to figure out what is bothering me about this too much. Did PS3 have a grain look to it? Was it aliased? Or is it just that it's going 60FPS now and my eyes are freaking out?

Doing a google to see if I'm going mad, someone else seems to have the same problem. It kind of ends up looking slightly cartoony. Like the higher resolution forced the brain to stop considering it semi-realistic.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Finished Dreamfall Chapters Act I, I misread the recent update and thought Act II was out but it's not. I flew through it pretty quickly but, not because it was short, it kept me pretty interested the whole way. As a matter of fact, it wasn't as short as I was expecting due to what people have been saying. The whole series has a story line that's suck-you-in like Beyond Two Souls, but it's on the 3rd game and they're not sequels... they're all part of one uniform thing that's not fully explained yet. I dunno, maybe I should write a review and post it up here.

Anyway, I'm on to Divinity Original Sin now, which has been good so far.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

i finished Bioshock Infinite. what a mindfuq of an ending

and the credits... as they started to roll, i went to have diner, then i took a bath, then i came back and they were still going

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

What a primitive game. Can't believe I used to play this over and over. I keep hitting the space bar to jump and forget this stupid game doesn't have a jump ability. *Sigh*

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'm going to attempt the DA:I multiplayer tonight.  Not sure how well I'll do considering a]I don't know anyone else who has the game and will have to join a public lobby and b]I never use my mic when playing online against people I don't know.

I also will have to get used to playing the game like an action game, rather than in combat mode (which is how I played every combat encounter in SP).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I played The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I enjoyed it unlike a few other "artsy" games out there. But still disappointingly little depth to its primary advertised puzzle mechanic. The acts of arranging the murder scenes' sequences never gets more complex or difficult than the first one. Although a couple of other puzzles I did like.

So in the past two days I've beaten Dragon Age Inquisition, got the last few trophies for Shadow of Mordor, started and beaten Valiant Hearts.

Now I'm starting Last of Us Remastered. It looks... off. Is it too crisp or what? I'm inclined to turn on my PS3 copy just to figure out what is bothering me about this too much. Did PS3 have a grain look to it? Was it aliased? Or is it just that it's going 60FPS now and my eyes are freaking out?

Doing a google to see if I'm going mad, someone else seems to have the same problem. It kind of ends up looking slightly cartoony. Like the higher resolution forced the brain to stop considering it semi-realistic.

The 60 fps version has crappy shadows and all that, so it you are a still sane. Turn to 30 fps and you might like it better. :D

1.13 killed off Ja2.

What a primitive game. Can't believe I used to play this over and over. I keep hitting the space bar to jump and forget this stupid game doesn't have a jump ability. *Sigh*

470x268px-LL-3d581886_will-smith-men-in-

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"