What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Doing some companion quests in Baldur's Gate II. Soon ready to move on to chapter 3. Going to do all available chapter 2 quests as I have never cared for Imoen.

Maybe it's because I've played the game so many times, but all the companion characters seem so danged annoying and clingy to me nowadays. Drives me crazy. Which is why I like to roll my own parties, I guess.

Which reminds me...my party in BG2 is super overpowered. I beat Ascension & Sword Coast Stratagems-improved Demogorgon on my first try. Timestop, Improved Alacrity, Lower Resistance, Lower Resistance, Lower Resistance, Comet, Dragon's Breath, a few Fingers of Death and Disintegrate (Spell Revisions, so it still does some damage even if he saves vs spell/death), aaand he's dead within like two minutes. sad.png

Next playthrough, it's gonna be 66% or 50% quest and creature XP, not just 75%...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Papers, Please on the iPad. Absolutely perfect medium for this game.

Glory to Arztotzka!

Yeah, there's no way I could play Papers, Please! with a touch-screen. The controls are frustrating enough when you're playing on PC...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

New alpha of 7DtD! ... I like candles. And cobblestone blocks. And they supposedly fixed the heatmap activating (causes periodic zombie horde activity) even when spawns are disabled. Yay. Sadly, I don't have time to play it much right now. Soon as I get back tho, I'll be marathoning it some more.

Digdigdigdigdig.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Papers, Please on the iPad. Absolutely perfect medium for this game.Glory to Arztotzka!

Yeah, there's no way I could play Papers, Please! with a touch-screen. The controls are frustrating enough when you're playing on PC...

It's actually a lot better and more intuitive on the iPad.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I played "Read the Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition Basic Rules free PDF" yesterday.

Gameplay: Excellent (feels old-school and modern at the same time, bravo, designers)

Length: Good

Replayability: Low

Art: None

UI: Excellent (it even has printer-friendly versions)

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Doing some companion quests in Baldur's Gate II. Soon ready to move on to chapter 3. Going to do all available chapter 2 quests as I have never cared for Imoen.

Maybe it's because I've played the game so many times, but all the companion characters seem so danged annoying and clingy to me nowadays. Drives me crazy. Which is why I like to roll my own parties, I guess.

Which reminds me...my party in BG2 is super overpowered. I beat Ascension & Sword Coast Stratagems-improved Demogorgon on my first try. Timestop, Improved Alacrity, Lower Resistance, Lower Resistance, Lower Resistance, Comet, Dragon's Breath, a few Fingers of Death and Disintegrate (Spell Revisions, so it still does some damage even if he saves vs spell/death), aaand he's dead within like two minutes. sad.png

Next playthrough, it's gonna be 66% or 50% quest and creature XP, not just 75%...

I'm just going with the vanilla game this time.

I've always though of Baldur's Gate II companions as a bit overrated. They aren't bad but not super good either. Using as few mages as possible in my party this time around.

• Like 1

So...one mage? tongue.png Now I'm kind of curious how hard it'd be to beat the game without even one - feel like it'd be pretty impossible without at least using scrolls in some manner...I guess that'd be assuming I'm still using SCS - you could probably get away with no mages in the vanilla game due to no enemy pre-buffing, which is a good portion of what makes SCS spellcasters so tough.

If you say so! If you can't end the game with more than 500 credits in the bank, though, then PC controls are still superior. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

So...one mage? tongue.png Now I'm kind of curious how hard it'd be to beat the game without even one - feel like it'd be pretty impossible without at least using scrolls in some manner...I guess that'd be assuming I'm still using SCS - you could probably get away with no mages in the vanilla game due to no enemy pre-buffing, which is a good portion of what makes SCS spellcasters so tough.

If you say so! If you can't end the game with more than 500 credits in the bank, though, then PC controls are still superior. :p

I think it could be possible. I was thinking of a melee and bows only party, but some of the fights are possible to win for me. I'm doing Valygar's quest now and I tried to fight the halflings in there and my party got panicked/confused/imprisoned and whatever other crap they threw at me constantly. I had some resistances thanks to items, but all characters didn't resist everything.

Metal Gear Rising.

It is... interesting. I'll probably continue playing, but it doesn't get me that much, to be honest. Guess the only reason why I continue playing is because it's set in the Metal Gear universe.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Metal Gear Rising.

It is... interesting. I'll probably continue playing, but it doesn't get me that much, to be honest. Guess the only reason why I continue playing is because it's set in the Metal Gear universe.

Is that the one with the cyborg ninja dude where stealth is nonexistent?

I didn't mind it so much.  But it didn't seem even remotely close to what the other Metal Gear games were like.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

That's why it is a spin-off. This doesn't turn me off that much, because I know and see it as just that: A spin-off.

But I find the controls somewhat wonky. Also most of the time I feel like I am just mashing buttons, hoping to hit something.

Also somehow the game wants me to go stealthy, but as far as I've experienced, this is pretty much not possible most of the time, or it just doesn't make much sense.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Rising is absolute whacky nonsense, where even the contemporary hyperrealism of Sons of Liberty & Snake Eater seem level-headed by comparison. Okay action game though.

Bayonetta is better in every single way in terms of action. Had way more fun with that one.

Edited by TheChris92

I think it could be possible. I was thinking of a melee and bows only party, but some of the fights are possible to win for me. I'm doing Valygar's quest now and I tried to fight the halflings in there and my party got panicked/confused/imprisoned and whatever other crap they threw at me constantly. I had some resistances thanks to items, but all characters didn't resist everything.

Sphere's always pretty much the last companion quest I do, since it's probably the hardest of them...besides maybe the Shade Lord, (who's really easy in vanilla...not as easy in SCS, especially when Liches can spawn in Amaunator's temple).

I'm continuing my playthrough of The Talos Principle.  It's really good.  Really really good.  It's probably the best puzzle game I've played since Portal 2.  It's been a really long time since a game has made me think this much.  This goes both for trying to solve the puzzles and for pondering the philosophical musings.  I'm also very apprehensive of climbing the tower.  I've long had enough red sigils to at least go up to the 1st floor, likely several more floors by now, but I still haven't tried to do it.  I kind of feel like I will eventually, but I'm... scared.  It;s weird, I get conflicted whenever I think about it.  There is a conflict between faith and curiosity that's one of the central themes of the game.  Word round the campfire is that there are multiple endings to the game.  What choices/parameters determine the endings I do not know, but I suspect that choosing faith or curiosity is one of them.

This game does not have manual saves, it checkpoint autosaves and it does so quite often (whenever you do something of note).  Normally, i'd criticize a game for lack of manual saves, but I actually am going completely the other way here.  Not only is the lack of manual saves not a hindrance here, I think it's a benefit.  In fact, I think it's critical to the game.  The ability to manually save would allow you to metagame.  While it's not something I like to engage in these days (I used to when I was younger), I generally am in favor of it being an option.  However, i will make an exception in this case.  There is a good bit of philosophical debate and conflict at the heart of this game and allowing metagaming would cheapen that conflict, reducing its impact.  The fact that any choice I make is permanent for this playthrough, no going back to 5 minutes ago, I'd have to start completely over, adds weight to those choices and makes me think long and hard about them and makes them feel more permanent.  I think this sort of thing is necessary if you want the player to struggle with philosophical conflict.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Eye of the Beholder 2 - Builds on and surpasses the previous entry in every way, i've seemingly forgotten a vast amount of the game however as I just had a good portion of my gear stolen by Insal the Halfling. With all of the equipment I brought over from the first game i'm not in desperate straits, but I do wonder whether I will ever catch up to the little thief and have an opportunity to avenge myself and retrieve my gear.

Skeleton Warriors and the sounds they make during combat is still horrifying.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

L0L Even DA3 at its worst is better than the best of Twitcher. That agmes treats the player like an idiot. That game is garabge. Says a lot that the best part of the series is the b00bs. L0L

Maybe if you're twelve, but I respect the game treating me like an adult.

Eye of the Beholder 2 - Builds on and surpasses the previous entry in every way, i've seemingly forgotten a vast amount of the game however as I just had a good portion of my gear stolen by Insal the Halfling. With all of the equipment I brought over from the first game i'm not in desperate straits, but I do wonder whether I will ever catch up to the little thief and have an opportunity to avenge myself and retrieve my gear.

Skeleton Warriors and the sounds they make during combat is still horrifying.

[As of last night] I'm exploring the 11th level in EoB1; Just acqiuired the stone sphere portal key.  I think I will import and continue on into EoB2 after I complete EoB1.  

In EoB2, Insal does not leave the party [iRRC] if you've dropped a PC before resting ~bit late I know. 

Mild EoB2 spoiler/warning:

EoB2 does have deathtraps; places where entry means a reload... for there is no escaping some of them.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

I'll be wrapping up Dragon Age Inquisition soon. I'll play Mass Effect 3 next. Should I play the first two before this?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'll be wrapping up Dragon Age Inquisition soon. I'll play Mass Effect 3 next. Should I play the first two before this?

Play Mass Effect 2 with the DLC's. Its a good game and you probably won't play it after finishing ME3.

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet.