What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Just finished South Park... now the age-old question of "what to do next"

So many games on Steam, yet still so hard to choose...

You could try making a paper-list of all the games that are "maybes", tacking it to a wall, and tossing a dart. Whatever game it hits, that's the one! ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"There's a lot of social injustice to correct in this game as well as romances and nudity so odds are that you will love it. It also takes a lot of the best things from games you've said you enjoy like Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect and Dragon Age and somehow manages to blend them together seamlessly. I've only hit the halfway mark so far but honestly, what I've played already for the past 30+ hours is some of the best gaming I've ever played. DA:I is a technical marvel and the story is the best thing Bioware has written. The plot has depth and the dialogue is all consistently on par with a good tv show or movie as opposed to a good videogame. Bioware have raised the bar for the industry and we're possibly entering the phase now where games are truly competing with other mediums at storytelling. Here's hoping CDPR do at least as well with Witcher 3."

Are you trolling? He asked about Inquisitor NOT DA3. You must be a SJW if you are so ignorant.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I was tired and skimming the thread but you are right, this was unacceptable. I shall commit seppuku immediately. 

No problem, its an easy mistake to make :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm on a hardcore puzzle game kick this week with Cap'n Toad and with The Talos Principle coming out Thursday (I'm in like Flynn on that game).  Hopefully Cap'n Toad sells well for Nintendo, because I'd love for them to make more of them.  The question on many people's minds when this game was announced was:  Sure, most people liked the Toad mini-games in Super Mario 3D World, but could Nintendo really make a full game out of that?  Answer:  Yes.  Yes they could.  And it's pretty damn good.  There is a shockingly high amount of level variety and quite a few different mechanics introduced throughout that Big N mixes and matches excellently to create a whole bunch of different feeling levels.  This is also the best use of the gamepad I've seen.  Nintendo really needed a game like this much closer to launch to show people "You see, this is why we have a touchscreen gamepad".  

Anyway, I'm most of the way through Book 3 (the game is divided into 4 books).  I've gotten 100% completion on every level in Book 1, probably 60% of the levels in Book 2, and more than half of the levels I've finished so far in Book 3.  Once I finish Book 3, I'll likely go back and try to 100% the remaining levels in Books 2 & 3 before heading onward to Book 4.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Currently playing through GTA San Andreas with all the fan patches and improvements installed.  Running it at 1080p 60fps is pretty stunning compared to how it ran on my PC all those years ago, had a couple of timing glitches with the rhythm games but you can work around it.  I never was crazy about the Boyz n the Hood stuff but I think I can appreciate it now, maybe this time I'll actually get CJ out of there.

7DtD - finally created the perfect sloping with a couple turns tunnel down to bedrock (essentially the dig-limit) in the perfect place! Problem is, I can't decide how to design the actual bunker now. :lol: Dig a huuuuge square and use blocks to create rooms and such, I guess.

Despite being at bedrock depth, I can still hear the very loud squeal when the pigs randomly die above me. The sound effect mechanics in the game need a lot of work....

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Out of the Park Baseball 15. I've bought every version since 8. It's only the best sports sim ever. Except the last three versions of Football Manager I guess.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Out of the Park Baseball 15. I've bought every version since 8. It's only the best sports sim ever. Except the last three versions of Football Manager I guess.

That's still going strong?

I used to play that game religiously, but then they started changing the way they rated pitchers and I found it really messed with the "accuracy" of the game.  A pitcher like Tom Glavine, who wasn't exactly a fireballer and who walked a decent amount, always sucked in my games when I'd replay historical seasons, even though in real life he was tremendous during that same stretch.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Played through the Warden's Keep content in my DA:O game.  First time with this DLC, and I found it underwhelming.  Some nice loot, I guess, and I appreciate the effort that went into the backstory, but the gameplay was pretty brief and more-of-the-same from the base game. 

I've done the Circle Tower and 2/3rds of the Redcliffe questline (order restored, but Eamon still sick).  I've also visited Denerim and picked up/completed a few minor quests there.  (And it really bothered me that I couldn't properly warn/threaten/kill the operators of the Pearl for hosting that anti-Grey-Warden honeytrap.)  But I got a reminder about what a pain in the neck those inner-city random encounters are, and I have no real desire to fight another half-dozen of those anytime soon.  So I'll stick to the countryside for the time being.

Some of the sidequest content has reminded me how sharp the difficulty swings can be in this game.  I cruise through the demons and undead on the main-quest missions, but checking up on some lost caravan in the woods takes me 2 reloads to avoid a full-party wipe.  (I ended up with 0 civilians saved, and Sten and Wynne lying in the dirt.)

Probably going to see the Dalish next.  Not sure what order I should do the Urn and Orzammar after that.  I'm going to hold off on Return to Ostagar until I have Loghain the party.

Edited by Enoch

I'm about to start Dreamfall Chapters, I'm a backer, but wanted to wait for at least 2 episodes to be released before starting it.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I picked up Divinity: Original Sin with the 33% Steam discount.

This game is incredible. I wish I had backed it. I was unfamiliar with the studio when it was kickstarted, so I didn't back it despite the promising look. I will most certainly entertain Larian Studious in the future. This game is everything right with an RPG. It doesn't hand hold, it give you total freedom, lots of problem solving/solutions, classless design, great sense of humor, copious detail for those who explore, and--oh yeah, IT'S FUN. Like a really good time. This is probably the best game I've played in over a decade. Let's hope the industry takes note!

• Like 1

Currently doing my final "canon" playthrough of The Witcher 2 in preparation for The Wild Hunt.

This RPG is amazing. The world feels fleshed out and lived in and most of all REAL. It doesn't treat the player as an idiot, is full of interesting characters, lore, political machinations and is funny to boot. 

I'm still blown away by this 3 year old game despite having recently finished Dragon Age Inquisition. The Witcher reigns supreme!

L0L Even DA3 at its worst is better than the best of Twitcher. That agmes treats the player like an idiot. That game is garabge. Says a lot that the best part of the series is the b00bs. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Currently playing through GTA San Andreas with all the fan patches and improvements installed.  Running it at 1080p 60fps is pretty stunning compared to how it ran on my PC all those years ago, had a couple of timing glitches with the rhythm games but you can work around it.  I never was crazy about the Boyz n the Hood stuff but I think I can appreciate it now, maybe this time I'll actually get CJ out of there.

Any tips on great mods you can recommend so that I can forget about them just in time for my next playthrough in a few years?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Currently doing my final "canon" playthrough of The Witcher 2 in preparation for The Wild Hunt.

This RPG is amazing. The world feels fleshed out and lived in and most of all REAL. It doesn't treat the player as an idiot, is full of interesting characters, lore, political machinations and is funny to boot. 

I'm still blown away by this 3 year old game despite having recently finished Dragon Age Inquisition. The Witcher reigns supreme!

I gotta get around to doing a play through in preparation for Wild Hunt.  It's been long enough since I last played it that I'll probably have forgotten some of it.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I started playing The Talos Principle.  I had played the demo earlier, so I already had an idea of what the game was like, but the full version, even in its very beginning stages, is already meatier than the demo was.  In reviews, the game has been often compared to Portal.  That seems like a reasonable comparison.  The mechanics are obviously not the same, but you have the same 1st person perspective (you can switch to third person), puzzles sometimes require using items in non-straightforward ways, and there is a disembodied voice that talks to you from time to time, at least 2 of them, actually.  Maybe my favorite thing about puzzle games is getting to a seemingly impossible situation, getting stuck on it for a decent while, unable to clear a mental hurdle, then finally having that aha moment where your brain breaks out of the rut its been stuck in, changes the way it approaches the problem, and the plain as day solution appears in front of you.  Those moments, for me, rival (and sometimes surpass) even the greatest moments of overcoming an obstacle with twitch skill or careful tactical planning, and even early on I've already had multiple moments like that in The Talos Principle.  I especially enjoy trying to hunt down the stars (extra goals beyond the sigils you are mainly collecting).  Getting the stars often requires outside the box thinking, sometimes outside the puzzle thinking.  The philosophical musings are also quite interesting, though they seem sort of, for the lack of a better term, scattershot so far.  Hopefully, as I progress, they will start to congeal into a more unified whole.  I'm starting to have ideas and theories, but they're based off minuscule scraps at the moment.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Currently playing through GTA San Andreas with all the fan patches and improvements installed. Running it at 1080p 60fps is pretty stunning compared to how it ran on my PC all those years ago, had a couple of timing glitches with the rhythm games but you can work around it. I never was crazy about the Boyz n the Hood stuff but I think I can appreciate it now, maybe this time I'll actually get CJ out of there.

Any tips on great mods you can recommend so that I can forget about them just in time for my next playthrough in a few years?
You can also play San Andreas on your smartphone in 1080p these days (even mod it if you poke around your phone files) Edited by Bokishi

I used to play that game religiously, but then they started changing the way they rated pitchers and I found it really messed with the "accuracy" of the game.  A pitcher like Tom Glavine, who wasn't exactly a fireballer and who walked a decent amount, always sucked in my games when I'd replay historical seasons, even though in real life he was tremendous during that same stretch.

I finally gave up historical replays and created an all fictional game with fictional teams. I've enjoyed it so much more since. The problem with the historical games is when excellent players aren't excellent it just ruins the immersion. Plus I found I always had biases against certain teams because of what they've done to my favorite teams in real life.

You should go give the web site & community a look. Markus & Co. have come a long way over the years. Plus there is just a TON of user made mods & content :http://www.ootpdevelopments.com

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Umm, off the top of my head...

http://gtaforums.com/topic/669045-iiivcsaasi-silentpatch/ - hundreds of bugfixes

http://thirteenag.github.io/widescreen_fixes_pack - fixes the resolution and UI

http://gtaforums.com/topic/750681-relsa-ps2-post-processing-and-car-reflections-on-pc/ - enables missing effects.

http://gtaforums.com/topic/526235-relasisa-ginput/ - xbox 360 pad support, with rumble.

They all use .ASI files, which you just drop into the root game folder.

Edited by WDeranged
  • Like 1

I finally gave up historical replays and created an all fictional game with fictional teams. I've enjoyed it so much more since. The problem with the historical games is when excellent players aren't excellent it just ruins the immersion. Plus I found I always had biases against certain teams because of what they've done to my favorite teams in real life.

You should go give the web site & community a look. Markus & Co. have come a long way over the years. Plus there is just a TON of user made mods & content :http://www.ootpdevelopments.com

For the most part I do fictional seasons, as it's less stressful when players don't produce like they're "supposed to".  But I'm still a fan of replaying seasons when the mood hits, and I've found the new pitching ratings (at least from when I'd last played -- not sure how much they've changed recently) do a horrible job.  Unless the pitcher is a fireballer who strikes out a lot of batters, they're typically not very good.