Trap lore bonus mot xp

Arden

each time you come across a similar trap fill in a lore on that type. When complete it gives a percent bonus to disarm say 10% on top of your skill.

BG and Ice wind dale did not give xp so in keeping with that use the lore.

Just an idea to make them interesting and in line with the old style.

(just conversation at this time, maybe to late at this time)

Under a black flab we compile.

I dont understand.

you disarm a trap and it fills in lore like the beast lore explains type and weakness. After coming across the same type of trap you fill in it's best way to dis arm giving you a greater chance to do so. there had been talk of giving xp for this like NWN  but a lore bonus would stay in line with the style of the game

So when you disarm a trap, you do not recieve experience for your character, but lore?

How do you recieve lore? What does it mean? What lore?

Lore represents a character's accumulated miscellaneous knowledge and trivia, often of occult or esoteric topics. In combat, it helps characters learn about enemy defenses and capabilities. Each time a character attacks an enemy, their Lore skill helps contribute to revealing their defenses and, for common enemies, filling in their Bestiary entries.

Like Bestiary text box but text on the trap mechanics damage delt damage type how to set  which leads to how to disable.

Why dont you post this in the backer beta forum? Did you pirate the game also or what? I just feel like this is.....     .... like whatever                   ..

I'd encourage you to take a deep breath, Sheikh. I feel that there is a language barrier here. It seems like he's saying that it might be cool if you focused on the lore/knowledge aspect of bonuses with traps, instead of XP. So, disarming traps that may have been optional will help you disarm similar traps in the future.

I don't know why he didn't post this in the backer beta discussion forum. Maybe he isn't playing the beta at all? I'm not sure why the conclusion you would jump to is "oh, are you a pirate?!", when he hasn't even cited any direct gameplay. He's merely referencing conceptual design information that has been made known via updates and such.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Why dont you post this in the backer beta forum? Did you pirate the game also or what? I just feel like this is.....     .... like whatever                   ..

I'd encourage you to take a deep breath, Sheikh. I feel that there is a language barrier here. It seems like he's saying that it might be cool if you focused on the lore/knowledge aspect of bonuses with traps, instead of XP. So, disarming traps that may have been optional will help you disarm similar traps in the future.

I don't know why he didn't post this in the backer beta discussion forum. Maybe he isn't playing the beta at all? I'm not sure why the conclusion you would jump to is "oh, are you a pirate?!", when he hasn't even cited any direct gameplay. He's merely referencing conceptual design information that has been made known via updates and such.

I'm am not doing the baker beta. I have been reading post and thought this might be a idea worth discussing. thanks lephys for straighten this out. Do you have an opinion on this?

I think this is quite a cool idea - but too late to add to PoE.

(I also don't think disarming traps needs xp)

But getting a bonus to disarming the same type of trap (after disarming a few of them) would make nice in-world sense.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

^ Agreed. Except, I don't really know if it's too late to add it or not. I realize it could be, though.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

^this

I'm not saying they can't do it - just that I think they've put a moratorium on new ideas while they make what they already have work with the time (/money) they've got left.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

^this

I'm not saying they can't do it - just that I think they've put a moratorium on new ideas while they make what they already have work with the time (/money) they've got left.

I understand that, but at the same time, this is just something already-in-the-game occurring (modifier/bonus, on a spreadsheet somewhere). The trap disarming skill is already in (Mechanics), and checks for it are already in, and modifiers already exist for such checks, etc. It wouldn't exactly be that tricky of a thing to implement, technically speaking.

Time they may not have, but resources? It doesn't seem very resource heavy.

• Like 2

^can't say for sure myself either - but wouldn't it involve adding another 'bestiary' ('trappery'/'lockery'?) and the descriptions/illustrations therein?

Also a 'check trap' command so you can see what kind of trap you're up against and whether you're likely to get that bonus to disarming it.

(Or are we talking 'purely under the hood - figure it out yourself?)

• Like 1

If this was to be done completely including locks and other mechanical devices then it would require more descriptions and illustrations.

With all the checks and modifiers this would be a substantial undertaken this late in the game. 

Suggestion start by removing xp bonus on them. figure to be for expanse and work out more details.

^can't say for sure myself either - but wouldn't it involve adding another 'bestiary' ('trappery'/'lockery'?) and the descriptions/illustrations therein?

Also a 'check trap' command so you can see what kind of trap you're up against and whether you're likely to get that bonus to disarming it.

(Or are we talking 'purely under the hood - figure it out yourself?)

I dunno. I was under the impression that, if you could detect a trap before tripping it, you'd also be able to identify it. That's usually how it works in these games. Just kind of precedent, but not mandatory. "Disarm dart trap. Disarm flame jet trap. Disarm pit trap," etc. I mean, how does your trap-master know to disarm it if he doesn't even know what it is? "Ahhh, this thing that maybe is a ceiling switch or maybe is a floor switch... that maybe shoots darts or maybe mixes chemicals to produce fire... I know exactly how to disarm this particular trap, but I couldn't tell you what it does, or where it's even located! 8D"

Hehe. I know, I know, the skill's abstracted. But, like I said, usually that bit isn't. You either know what it is, or you don't.

^Ah, ok - I was going on IE games  (I think you just got the red area to indicate trap but not the type).
In NWN/2, you do indeed get the trap-type and how serious it is.   (haven't played the beta so can't say if it's the same in PoE)

Would still involve writing up a 'trappery' with a bit more lore to make it fit in with the rest of the UI. (unless it's just numbers added to the current pop-up - might be easier then)

Maybe a Moderator could move this to the beta forum on traps?

I bet a moderator is perfectly capable of deciding whether or not he's perfectly capable of deciding that on his own. If he wanted to tell people about how he'd've already moved it if he felt like it, he could do that, too.

In all seriousness, I don't see anything wrong with asking if someone would move a thread you authored to a different sub-forum.