Been gone for a while - how are things?

Matt516

Howdy all. I'm still around, but school and other concerns (*cough* XCOM Long War *cough*) have made me spend considerably less time on these forums as of late. I still plan to release an updated version of the combat spreadsheet when they finally get the mechanics nailed down, though I won't be updating it every patch as I originally wanted to.

So... how are things? There've been a few patches since I last played - any significant changes?

The forums are more hostile than usual. Sensuki and Shevik decided to hate each other. They argue in a very negative fashion on multiple threads.

• Like 5

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

They've married the skill points (lore, mechanics, etc) to talents - so you can't choose them separately - not sure if that's permanent or just a 'test' but doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Latest update thread in 'Announcements' forum has some incoming changes from Obsidian's 'test-week' , about combat speed among others (I think latest beta had some adjustment to global recovery times and animal armour speed penalties too).

Engagement indicators in selection circles have changed, looks a little odd at the mo'

Probably a bunch of other stuff under the hood too.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

The forums are more hostile than usual. Sensuki and Shevik decided to hate each other. They argue in a very negative fashion on multiple threads.

I guess its their way to show  that they actually like eachother :)

Peace :)

Edited by lordkim

Are muscle wizards still a thing

No, but naked wizards.

They fight with the power of naked. Don't play this way around other people; it'll be humiliating.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

The forums are more hostile than usual.

I agree. I think the inpolitness scales exponentially with every patch or so, because people feel like their time to force changes is running out. Discussion was always heated, but I think it started to get to a point where it is really annoying that the basic approach to any conversation is being hostile and personal feuds are interrupting the topics more often than necessary. I know that I care less and less about the forums recently because even the content its really just the same stuff that has been discussed for a long time now for the most part.

Basically, people prefer to rage and whine instead of being constructive.

• Like 4

Agreed with the hostility. It makes newer players such as myself more than a little nervous when posting for fear of someone smashing your points with information you simply don't have the knowledge about. 

The SFX are still blindingly painful to see through! XD Hopefully they tone it down in future patches. 

• Like 2

My Blind Journey through the Beta. Join my transgender Paladin as I struggle to get to grips with the game and its mechanics. Well, I never said my first journey into an isometric RPG would be smooth, now did I?

My Adventure through Baldur's Gate. Inspired by my play of PoE, I decide to pick up a much fabled game of the genre. Join Solana as I delve into this world of weird, wonderful and annoying people.

I agree. I think the inpolitness scales exponentially with every patch or so, because people feel like their time to force changes is running out. Discussion was always heated, but I think it started to get to a point where it is really annoying that the basic approach to any conversation is being hostile and personal feuds are interrupting the topics more often than necessary. I know that I care less and less about the forums recently because even the content its really just the same stuff that has been discussed for a long time now for the most part.

I guess this needs rationalization:

In any argument, the loudest and the passionate have the highest chance of making an impact. People writjng essays are read, yeah, but People writng one liners? they are heard.

Not that it applies for this game. For PoE, Devs only care about the mythical min maxer who is apparently the average player.

• Like 1

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

In any argument, the loudest and the passionate have the highest chance of making an impact. People writjng essays are read, yeah, but People writng one liners? they are heard.

Not that it applies for this game. For PoE, Devs only care about the mythical min maxer who is apparently the average player.

I'm not so sure about this. If I was to make a game, I would consider the people that made the most reasonable and realistic argument, given how the game is shaping up. I always feel like people that are loud and crave for attention should be disregarded in favour of actual arguments and in my line of work, that is usually the case. I'm sure that in PoE, devs care for the QA team because they are probably a more reasonable audience than the mythical IE games average player that most people claim to be.

• Like 3

I'm indirect because I don't believe in direct confrontation. I was too direct for a long time in RL and decided that that is not beneficial for anyone.

I'm also indirect because I'm not even sure if direct criticism makes sense at all, as I'm not really against anyone in particular here. I think if you consider where each individual poster in this forum is coming from, everyone has understandable reasons why they act like they do, and I don't want to act like my reasons are any better. For this reason, I don't really dislike any poster here, although I may come off as antagonistic at times. At the same time, I'd like to hear all kinds of opinions in these forums, and that seems kind of hard lately that fronts are hardening on any matter. That's where I'm coming from and I think people should decide for themselves whether what I criticed in my post is applicable or not.

That being said, lately I feel like a lot of people want to shut discussion down by dismissing the other side or claiming that their opinion is fact, which is what I'm criticizing. It's understandable, because now is the time to speak up before stuff is finalized, but that doesn't mean I agree with the sentiment. I don't think its unfair if I say you are dogmatic at times, so this includes you, but I don't feel like that's limited to you, so don't take this as directed to you only. Mind that I think this happens to both sides of a lot of discussions lately and that if I feel like I'm not in the mood for this stuff, I will simply stay away from the forum till things have cooled down a bit.

I just feel like we could express the same stuff we currently say while being more open minded about each other. The devs will surely be able to filter the good advice from the bad advice, at least I have that much faith in them. I know thats probably an forum utopy, but one may dream.

• Like 4

I don't think its unfair if I say you are dogmatic at times

That may even be putting it mildly ;) 

The forums are a more hostile place recently, and most of the hostility revolves around the disagreement over the Engagement topic. My position on the topic (removal) and attempts to explain why it is bad and arguments against other points of view have garnered more personal attacks against me than ever on this forum, and I have become a bit fed up with it, so I've responded to some people in a similar fashion and I respond to people directly, since I dislike passive aggressiveness.

You'll get less of it from me when people start going for the ball, and not the man. As for Shevek though, his opinions and preferences for combat gameplay are very dangerous in my opinion, and as long as he keeps posting that 'things are fine', you'll find me posting in opposition unless improvements are made.

• Like 1

*blinks* 

*shrug...sss...!..?.!? Hugs!!*

... ;D

@OP: Hi Matt! Pillars of Eternity is awesome! I managed to finish it for the first time (on Easy Mode), without crashing, save/loading issues, major unplayable lag, etc. etc. this time it went smooth, although, there were a couple of things I will try to reproduce on my next playthrough (I took some screenshots in Steam). So, yes, major changes to playability, and I think it is great. If this is what Pillars of Eternity does from v333 to v364, imagine what v450-v600 is going to be like :D (or uhm... is final always called v1000 or equivalent?).

There's still some wonkyness I feel, primarily the animation attack speed, and the skill system feels a bit more clarified as well, and what is going on in combat as well thanks to a super clarified GUI  :grin: it looks like it could be a joke, many of us said "we don't know what is going on in combat!?", but, it does school me good and really helps me understand what the heck is going on... it takes a lot of attention though. I might try turning it off if there's a button for it after one or more playthroughs.

Maybe the GUI is the tutorial? xD

Anyways, short version: I could complete everything in the BB without issues (on Easy). Made a character and could actually play the game without game breaking bugs or crashes, graphics looks.. cleaner, better, the code feels much more stable and not as shaky. Major changes, in my opinion. For the better.

Also:
- I am unsure if what I say is GUI (Graphical User Interface): The same thing as the green and red rings and arrows *shrug* that's what I mean anyways.

Edited by Osvir

I'm not so sure about this. If I was to make a game, I would consider the people that made the most reasonable and realistic argument, given how the game is shaping up. I always feel like people that are loud and crave for attention should be disregarded in favour of actual arguments and in my line of work, that is usually the case. I'm sure that in PoE, devs care for the QA team because they are probably a more reasonable audience than the mythical IE games average player that most people claim to be.

If you are actually implying that forum members who make LONG WINDED post == rational arguments then you are wrong. Just because someone is polite and calm does not make them right.

In any case, people who are right AND witty are probably going to overtake opinions of anyone else. 

But as I pointed out, forum members are ignored in most arguments, no matter what their opinion in quality. 

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

No, but naked wizards.

They fight with the power of naked. Don't play this way around other people; it'll be humiliating.

I hope due to this beta, Obsidian adds an NPC into the game that has only one trigger: If any player party member that is a wizard and does not have any armor walks by him that NPC starts making fun of a naked wizard dude :D
  • Like 2

No, but naked wizards.

I hope due to this beta, Obsidian adds an NPC into the game that has only one trigger: If any player party member that is a wizard and does not have any armor walks by him that NPC starts making fun of a naked wizard dude :D

You. You I like. That would be brilliant! XD

My Blind Journey through the Beta. Join my transgender Paladin as I struggle to get to grips with the game and its mechanics. Well, I never said my first journey into an isometric RPG would be smooth, now did I?

My Adventure through Baldur's Gate. Inspired by my play of PoE, I decide to pick up a much fabled game of the genre. Join Solana as I delve into this world of weird, wonderful and annoying people.

No, but naked wizards.

Close enough

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

If you are actually implying that forum members who make LONG WINDED post == rational arguments then you are wrong. Just because someone is polite and calm does not make them right.

In any case, people who are right AND witty are probably going to overtake opinions of anyone else. 

But as I pointed out, forum members are ignored in most arguments, no matter what their opinion in quality. 

That's not what I wanted to imply. Good arguments can be short and concise. I also think that being right and witty saves the day.

The person complaining the most about other people in this thread is Doppelschwert.

I never get what you want to envoke with these kind of oneliners. Care to elaborate?

• Like 1

Howdy all. I'm still around, but school and other concerns (*cough* XCOM Long War *cough*) have made me spend considerably less time on these forums as of late. I still plan to release an updated version of the combat spreadsheet when they finally get the mechanics nailed down, though I won't be updating it every patch as I originally wanted to.

So... how are things? There've been a few patches since I last played - any significant changes?

I also want to add that, despite the obvious flaws and design choice disagreements, the game is being shaped up real good. I really like it, and not just from a graphic POV. It really looks like it's going to be an epic experience.

The only major flaw I see right now is that, without proper tools and enough open parts of the engine, serious modding is going to suffer a lot.

Edited by Dark_Ansem
In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_