Turkey, Fish, and a Thanks Giving wish!

Namutree

One of my favorite holidays has arrived! Good old Thanks Giving! :) One this awesome day; I like to feast like a beast. All the while I get to visit with my fantastic extended family. Normally this is awesome enough, but it seems there is even more good news for me!

I love Turkey, but I'm really in the mood for fish. I guess it's been awhile since I had any, and I've been craving it for hours. Just a bit ago; I found out my Aunt will be bringing fish sticks with her! What are the chances? I've got awhile before my family meets up; so in the meantime I guess I'd like to see if there was ever a little holiday miracle for any of you guys.

Got any little holiday stories to share?

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

My high school german is a little rusty, but that's just thursday isn't it?

Thank you for explaining the joke.

EDIT: Also wtf how is it some dutch can't understand German worth a damned? Your language is literally the result of German and english having sex!

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I'm eating ham, mashed potatoes, some vegetable, yeast rolls, chocolate cake, and pecan pie. going to drink rum with it I suppose.

EDIT: Also wtf how is it some dutch can't understand German worth a damned? Your language is literally the result of German and english having sex!

That explains why it's so confusing, the English are rather sloppy.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The similarities are precisely why. I failed German in high school but I'm straight A's for English and Latin and passed French without trying (though to be fair, I forgot pretty much every little bit of French that I knew because high school French class is "remember all these words and phrases" and not "learn how the french language works in any way") but when I try to speak German my brain gets confused with Dutch and a use the wrong words, the wrong grammar etc. Although I can find my way around Berlin well enough, so I guess it's passable.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I had roast beef short rib, vegetables, rye bread, today, because IMO being sick doesn't mean eating hospital food.

I'm now eating a crisp fresh apple.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Happy Thanksgiving! We're having a traditional family get together with non-traditional foodstuffs!

Crab, fideos, paella, shabu shabu, bok choy, and fruit cake.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The similarities are precisely why. I failed German in high school but I'm straight A's for English and Latin and passed French without trying (though to be fair, I forgot pretty much every little bit of French that I knew because high school French class is "remember all these words and phrases" and not "learn how the french language works in any way") but when I try to speak German my brain gets confused with Dutch and a use the wrong words, the wrong grammar etc. Although I can find my way around Berlin well enough, so I guess it's passable.

I know the confused brain part, but from the perspective of an English-German speaker, all that happens is your mind TRIPS THE **** OUT for a minute or two when it hears dutch, trying to decide between flipping the english translator or the german translator on, then it pins it as dutch and somehow I "speak" your language despite not actually speaking it. You could probably talk to me in dutch and I would fully understand you.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

I'm better at listening to German than I am reading it, when someone speaks to me I can usually make out most of their general gist. I'm not seeing the similarity between Dutch and English though since Dutch is obsessive about grammar and the entire English language is an exception to its own grammar, but let's not hijack the thanksgiving thread. :D

literally? is literally the result of german and english having sex? 

regardless, happy thanksgiving to all Americans. is understandable that thanksgiving were a contentious holiday for our extended family, but our immediate family always celebrated. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm better at listening to German than I am reading it, when someone speaks to me I can usually make out most of their general gist. I'm not seeing the similarity between Dutch and English though since Dutch is obsessive about grammar and the entire English language is an exception to its own grammar, but let's not hijack the thanksgiving thread. :D

Fourteen = Vierzehn = veertien (or however you spell it)

Street = Straße = Straat

You also have a word...your formal 'you' (Sie in German) sounds like "Ye" or some old english crap. I only remember my english is what helped me understand it.

I think you're referring to "u".

I looked it up and I think I meant jij.

Hell, all of these seem familiar to english for me. jij = Ye, hij = he, wij = we...not sure how you don't recognize the english aspects. xD

What's fun about German is that it can mean whatever you want.

Not true, those are far less fun when you actually speak the language. :C

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 1

You mean all those tweeter twits that shorten it to "u" are speaking Netherlandian? All this time I looked down my nose at lazy, lazy diction. 

Also, happy Native American Heritage Month. Thank you for engendering our nation. 

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

To be fair, most of us can understand written German and mostly understand German if people don't have a horrible dialect and don't speak too fast. We're just completely buggered when it comes to actually speaking or writing German on the account of it being invented by people with a horrible fascination for extremely complicated grammar. I mean, ye Gods!

Edit: but yeah, to stay at least somewhat on topic, happy turkey day.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Jij is the informal form of you. The formal is u.

Yep I had the formal and informal confused. Anyways the point was one of the you's sounds like ye olde english's "ye".

To be fair, most of us can understand written German and mostly understand German if people don't have a horrible dialect and don't speak too fast. We're just completely buggered when it comes to actually speaking or writing German on the account of it being invented by people with a horrible fascination for extremely complicated grammar. I mean, ye Gods!

To be honest I find German grammar to be more or less logical once you get it. The real nonsensical part of German is the gender of nouns and der/die/das/die. French or Spanish by comparison have very simple rules regarding what gender a noun is based on it's spelling for the most part, but German? With German it feels like certain groups and topics each have different genders with many exceptions. For example most vehicles or forms of transportation are Der OR Das. Fruits and vegetables are Die with exceptions like Der Apfel and the very category words themselves - Fruits and vegetables being Das Obst and Das Gemüse. Some rules do exist but only in regards to certain word endings, such as words ending in -chen being das....though this of course leads to the not-so-user-friendly issue of das Mädchen (little girl) being neutral in gender, counter intuitive to what most foreigners would expect.

If you simply don't have experience with certain vocabularies, you have no way of knowing which gender of noun to use, though luckily this shouldn't bite you in the ass too hard.

Then again I don't know Dutch so perhaps the grammar of dutch is far simpler despite the clear similarities.

From tutoring, I've always known the issues to be:

English = Learn some god damn consistent spelling and pronounciation rules and learn to divide your ideas neatly, english!

German = Learn to better categorize your gender of nouns and be more user-friendly to beginners in regards to grammar rules!

And look on the bright side: you guys absolutely thrash the Germans when it comes to speaking english, and all of that simply thanks to what I would consider subtitled TV vs. dubbed TV. As a German-American, the sheer reason I have work tutoring english is because english is not a labor of love or leisure for Germans but simply an annoying school requirement. Comparatively I can cross the border into the Netherlands (just an hour away) and find many Dutch speaking with flawless british or american accents. Same applies to much of Scandinavia. But no, Germany's gotta have it's horrible dubs that even the Germans often hate. :D

All the Dutch people I know seem to speak with American accents. Can't really hear "Schmoke and a pancake" in them.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

To be honest I find German grammar to be more or less logical once you get it. The real nonsensical part of German is the gender of nouns and der/die/das/die. French or Spanish by comparison have very simple rules regarding what gender a noun is based on it's spelling for the most part, but German? With German it feels like certain groups and topics each have different genders with many exceptions. For example most vehicles or forms of transportation are Der OR Das. Fruits and vegetables are Die with exceptions like Der Apfel and the very category words themselves - Fruits and vegetables being Das Obst and Das Gemüse. Some rules do exist but only in regards to certain word endings, such as words ending in -chen being das....though this of course leads to the not-so-user-friendly issue of das Mädchen (little girl) being neutral in gender, counter intuitive to what most foreigners would expect.

If you simply don't have experience with certain vocabularies, you have no way of knowing which gender of noun to use, though luckily this shouldn't bite you in the ass too hard.

Then again I don't know Dutch so perhaps the grammar of dutch is far simpler despite the clear similarities.

From tutoring, I've always known the issues to be:

English = Learn some god damn consistent spelling and pronounciation rules and learn to divide your ideas neatly, english!

German = Learn to better categorize your gender of nouns and be more user-friendly to beginners in regards to grammar rules!

And look on the bright side: you guys absolutely thrash the Germans when it comes to speaking english, and all of that simply thanks to what I would consider subtitled TV vs. dubbed TV. As a German-American, the sheer reason I have work tutoring english is because english is not a labor of love or leisure for Germans but simply an annoying school requirement. Comparatively I can cross the border into the Netherlands (just an hour away) and find many Dutch speaking with flawless british or american accents. Same applies to much of Scandinavia. But no, Germany's gotta have it's horrible dubs that even the Germans often hate. :D

Well, I don't know about simple but it certainly is different. The biggest difference is that old Dutch had four cases akin to German, but we only use the nominative now in modern Dutch. So one of the main problems in learning German is getting the hang of using different cases, period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_grammar#Cases

But hey, German is nothing compared to Finnish when it comes to cases. I mean, I just have to take one look into a Finnish grammar book and I just give up.

Also, obligatory turkey to keep thread on topic:

2mxrjwz.jpg

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.