First Impressions (v364)

Razsius

You stated that it wasn't true that people are asking for what amounts to a mod/expansion of the IE games.

You then criticised PoE for having "selective IE feels" (that is, by definition, having some feels be different), rather than "absolutely feeling like the IE games in every single respect".

You then criticised PoE for having "selective IE feels" (that is, by definition, having some feels be different), rather than "absolutely feeling like the IE games in every single respect".

Wrong again.

Let Me Quote Myself

There are many basic things the IE games did very well that Obsidian has changed 'just because' in PE and ended up with something inferior.

^ This is truth

One of the bulletpoints of Josh Sawyer's GDC Next 10 Presentation 2013 was "IE feels"

^ This is truth

and unfortunately this only seems to mean "selective IE feels".

^ This is conjecture

And unless told otherwise, I will point out anything that feels off in comparison to what the IE games had as basic functionality that is better than Pillars of Eternity.

Two of my focuses are UI/Controls and overall combat feel. Two things that are very off in many places.

• Like 5

Nothing you have said addresses the previous post. Your conjecture is that the the game not feeling exactly like an IE game is unfortunate.

This is not true. There are many basic things the IE games did very well that Obsidian has changed 'just because' in PE and ended up with something inferior. One of the bulletpoints of Josh Sawyer's GDC Next 10 Presentation 2013 was "IE feels", and unfortunately this only seems to mean "selective IE feels".

One of the bulletpoints of Josh Sawyer's GDC Next 10 Presentation 2013 was "IE feels", and unfortunately this only seems to mean "selective IE feels".

unfortunately this only seems to mean "selective IE feels".

unfortunately ... "selective IE feels".

No it's not. You said mod/quest pack of the IE games. I was referring to basic functionality, not specific systems or content and you're starting to become quite a condescending prick towards me.

Eh, not to pick any sides but you've become quite antagonistic yourself latley.

• Like 4

There are many basic things the IE games did very well that Obsidian has changed 'just because' in PE and ended up with something inferior.

^ This is truth

Personally, I would have called it an opinion instead of a truth since I cannot seem to find any quotes from the developers that they changed some things 'just because'. I also don't agree that it is inferior. It is different, absolutely, but not necessarily inferior. 

This is just my opinion so please don't take this personally, but when someone tells me 'feels like' I don't expect an absolute replica. I expect a few things to be similar, in this context I would say atmosphere, storytelling, characters etc to be similar to previous IE games. But I also expect things to be different such as spells, mechanics, interface, classes etc. I would disappointed if the developers didn't try to add their own flare to it. BG and its related games have such a huge reputations that any attempt to surpass them would fall short and disappoint people as has happened to many, many other things (movies, books etc). It might not be a good flare, as someone pointed out, but that's the difficulty with making games. You won't please everyone. 

My Blind Journey through the Beta. Join my transgender Paladin as I struggle to get to grips with the game and its mechanics. Well, I never said my first journey into an isometric RPG would be smooth, now did I?

My Adventure through Baldur's Gate. Inspired by my play of PoE, I decide to pick up a much fabled game of the genre. Join Solana as I delve into this world of weird, wonderful and annoying people.

Eh, not to pick any sides but you've become quite antagonistic yourself latley.

This is antagonistic.

At a risk of quietly wading into a ****storm before immediately wading back out, I find it absolutely appalling that by far and away the most vocal person on gameplay mechanics in the beta forums is a guy who has already decided that he will mod enough of the game on release as to re-balance it entirely until it plays more like a game he feels he would rather be playing.

What is this I don't even.

Personally, I would have called it an opinion instead of a truth since I cannot seem to find any quotes from the developers that they changed some things 'just because'. I also don't agree that it is inferior. It is different, absolutely, but not necessarily inferior.

A perfect example from this patch is the recent change to the targeting reticles. The v333 version was fine apart from two bugs. They fixed one of them, but overlooked the one that confused Jesse Cox as to who his characters were targeting. The new version they have added in does not interact properly with the selection circle and creates more visual clutter on the screen. There are many more examples where this has been the case.

You may like the look of them more, but they are functionally worse.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

Disagreements to things said on-topic are by their nature going to be somewhat antagonistic when lifted out of context and put elsewhere. I'm fairly confident I can rule out having ever called you a "prick" however.

Disagreements to things said on-topic are by their nature going to be somewhat antagonistic when lifted out of context and put elsewhere. I'm fairly confident I can rule out having ever called you a "prick" however.

You've been making snide remarks since the 8th of November.

A perfect example from this patch is the recent change to the targeting reticles. The v333 version was fine apart from two bugs. They fixed one of them, but overlooked the one that confused Jesse Cox as to who his characters were targeting. The new version they have added in does not interact properly with the selection circle and creates more visual clutter on the screen. There are many more examples where this has been the case.

You may like the look of them more, but they are functionally worse.

Well, I've not gotten into a huge fight yet to check functionality there in all honesty, but I'm not all that bothered that they changed it. I personally think it does the job for smaller fights at the very least. I like the new size though, makes it a bit easier with bigger enemies, especially with the grass/contrast issue. I understand your view, regardless if I agree or not, and will say no more on the matter. 

Anyway! I need to go and test to see if it still crashes when I try to go to the gorge after handing in the ogre quest and leaving by the top left exit of the village by the temple!

My Blind Journey through the Beta. Join my transgender Paladin as I struggle to get to grips with the game and its mechanics. Well, I never said my first journey into an isometric RPG would be smooth, now did I?

My Adventure through Baldur's Gate. Inspired by my play of PoE, I decide to pick up a much fabled game of the genre. Join Solana as I delve into this world of weird, wonderful and annoying people.

More thoughts regarding the beta from me and because i'm a cranky cuss and really should give people their due diligence when they do right here's some more things I have noticed:

- The ogre cave seriously looks amazing now.  Even cooler that there's some animation effects built into the map now with the tiny, tiny, spiderlings (I assume) moving around in spots.  The webs look great too.  Helps that the spiders now move at a reasonable pace for a web based variant.  Some spiders should move fast but one's with webs are only moderately fast usually.  Still, if you've ever tried to catch a Huntsman (Wood) Spider they can be freakishly fast but that's largely because they run down their prey and don't build webs.  Good job art team!  Now go talk to some of your rts art team friends so you can discuss lawnmowing (trimming the grass) and not overwhelming special effects design.

- While I do have some (serious) issues with the music design, the sound design is dead to rights top notch.  The ogre cave and ruins especially have some rock solid design... probably some of the best i've heard tbh.  Good job Justin Bell!  Now go kidnap a composer so you can steal his music design and put your name on it ;).  VO is pretty legit as well.  I'm hoping there's at least one epic as hell (like Irenicus level) voice though.

- Enjoying the weapon tweaks more than a little bit as well (DT bypass on guns and arbalests definitely makes sense).  Damage has to come down across the board though and weapons still need tweaks for variance.  Constitution should probably be buffed as well.

As for... some... people in this thread I really have to ask.  Why back PoE at all if you don't want it to look, feel, play, and sound like a souped up version of BG/IWD and the like?

Edited by Razsius
  • Like 1

I have been too busy to play enough to give an in-depth and constructive first impression. However, I have been jumping in from time-to-time since beta started and I have to say "in my opinion" things are improving greatly. I now know this game will be without doubt the game we all wished for.

The most noticeable improvement to me has been the similarity to Ice Wind Dale 2 (combat and voice acting, among other details). I love that my druid shape shifter is in game and I can actually play it now. I wish it had a bit more options, maybe even the option to shape shift into different shapes, both in combat and non-combat activities, but I am sure more will come as it develops even after the game is released. I can't wait to adventure and learn new shapes (Dragon!)

Thanks to all the beta testers who have given awesome ideas. Like using the Ice wind Dale combat animation. Love that! I also know without doubt that the people that made Ice wind Dale 2 are working on this game. It has the *MAGIC*, from the voice acting, to the detail, to the music, the story telling, and so much more. You are masters at what you do thank YOU!

You have set a new precedence as to how a game ought to be developed. Keep impressing us, we can't get enough... well... I am getting carried away, I suppose, but really! Thank you!

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Edited by TarponCrest
  • Like 3

Knowledge and harmony, an isometric universal path. May this be our next epic quest immortalized! Seek the crest where the fish and dragon meet…